TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Michael J. Fox Show pulled from schedule (unofficially canceled)

The Michael J. Fox Show has been pulled from NBC's schedule, and there are currently no plans for the 7 episodes filmed but not yet aired. NBC will likely burn them off at a later point. The show is not officially canceled, but is not expected to be renewed.

The show most recently got a 0.7 rating in the demo.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/mich...cancelled-nbc/
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Not shocking at all.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

I cancelled it a long time ago.

But, I wouldn't mind seeing him on The Good Wife more often.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

To clarify, NBC has a contract to air all 22 episodes, so the remaining 7 episodes *will* air, although no decision has been made as to *when* they will air.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
mattack

...so if you care, move your SP to the top of the list...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Finally put it out of its misery.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I was really hoping this show would have been good. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the first episode.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I liked MJF in this role. The cast lacked chemistry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Yeah, I think that was the main problem. There were a couple of decent episodes so we kept watching. The sister (I think she was Mike's sister) was horrible and ruined the show for me. Her character was unnecessary.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
holee
Uncertain

I really liked the show and the cast. I still don't understand why my opinion seems to be in the minority, but it's a moot point now.

The only criticism I had on the show was that it sometimes was a little to saccharine, but it was still one of my favorite shows, with a really good cast.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Alfer
WOOSAH!

IMO, like mentioned earlier, the supporting cast was just plain awful. Not a single one of them was appealing in any way (IMO) and the story lines were just so "meh" week to week it really made for a boring half hour "comedy".
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
DougF

We have eight or 10 piled up on the DVR. Probably will delete them now.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
warrenn

I watched the first couple of episodes and then gave up. The sex stuff was so creepy. The way he was always on his wife and then having a crush on a neighbor. I was hoping it would be a show that I could watch with the whole family, but it was too skeevy.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
I watched the first couple of episodes and then gave up. The sex stuff was so creepy. The way he was always on his wife and then having a crush on a neighbor. I was hoping it would be a show that I could watch with the whole family, but it was too skeevy.
Does Tracy Pollan know this?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yeah, I think that was the main problem. There were a couple of decent episodes so we kept watching. The sister (I think she was Mike's sister) was horrible and ruined the show for me. Her character was unnecessary.
I used to like the show "Still Standing". If the MJF show with MJF and Betsy Brandt could have worked with the kids/sister chemistry that Still Standing had, I think it would have been really good. As it was, I just didn't like it nearly as much.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

We watched all of these. I'm not massively upset about it being pulled, but it was definitely in the middle of the comedies this fall: not the worst by any stretch.

I'm kind of surprised by the "skeevy" comment above; seriously? This show is about as far from skeevy as any sitcom on this fall. Have you seen Mom? 2 Broke Girls? Heck just about any other one? Here's a guy who's still in love with his wife and thinks she's sexy and that's... skeevy?

Is it just because the guy is MJF? Or is any married couple having a closer relationship than Mike and Carol Brady creepy?

Plus overall there's not much of that, that I remember.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I'm kind of surprised by the "skeevy" comment above; seriously? This show is about as far from skeevy as any sitcom on this fall. Have you seen Mom? 2 Broke Girls? Heck just about any other one? Here's a guy who's still in love with his wife and thinks she's sexy and that's... skeevy?

Is it just because the guy is MJF? Or is any married couple having a closer relationship than Mike and Carol Brady creepy?
I think the main issue was that there wasn't enough chemistry between he and his show wife. I didn't get the sense that they had a great intimate connection (or were even in love), so the sex stuff seemed like he was hounding someone who didn't want it. I think a couple like the Huxtables on "The Cosby Show" could have pulled it off because they had great chemistry. But here it felt so forced, hence the skeevy aspect.

I didn't get the crush episode either. That doesn't seem like something a married guy should be getting involved in. And I don't think the wife would consider it 'cute' and laugh it off.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
DLL66

I noticed while watching the show, it seemed like it was being played on "fast forward 1", meaning that their line deliveries seemed rushed and like everyone chug a can of Amp before the cameras were rolling. That is one of the reason it lost my interest in the show.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I didn't get the crush episode either. That doesn't seem like something a married guy should be getting involved in. And I don't think the wife would consider it 'cute' and laugh it off.
This IS a sitcom on TV and I think part of the deal with the neighbor crush was that it was actually MJF's real wife and that 'inside joke' was part of the gag.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post

This

and

This!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
BluesFools

That's a shame - I kind of liked "The Betsy Brandt Show". I swear she got more screen time than MJF some episodes. Which is not a bad thing....
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
sharkster

I've enjoyed the show - probably most of all because I like MJF - but I knew this day was coming sooner than later.

Oh well - both his show and Sean Hayes' show (love him too!) will be missed by me.

Hard to find many good sitcoms anymore or, at least, any considered good enough to get beyond a short season one purchase.

I hope Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, and Mom (love Allison Janney!) will stick around. I also watch Dads, and like it ok, but I figure that one will probably suffer its demise before too long.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post

Your wish has been granted.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #24
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
I think the main issue was that there wasn't enough chemistry between he and his show wife. I didn't get the sense that they had a great intimate connection (or were even in love), so the sex stuff seemed like he was hounding someone who didn't want it.
You said you only watched the first couple of episodes. This hardly seems like a fair criticism since you didn't really give the show a chance. Not that I am saying, mind you, this was a great show worth sticking with. There are plenty of good reasons to have dropped it, but I'm not sure this is one.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
WooHoo!
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #26
mattack

One article I saw said they were going to try it out in another time slot?

I've probably asked this before, but with people mentioning the contract saying they'd air all episodes, does anybody know of a deal LONGER than the "Amazing Stories" deal? That was supposedly 2 years from the outset, which is why it ran 2 years even though it had sucky ratings (I liked it way back then btw). I don't mean a "we'll renew it for 3 years but can really cancel it at any time" kind of deal, I mean as close to ironclad as it ever gets in entertainment.. (heck, NBC bought out Conan from his contract.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #27
argicida

Quote:
That's why they should go through the pilot process even with a "can't miss" star; it gives a chance for fine tuning.
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #28
Fahtrim

took long enough, sad for him really, and not just for the Parkinson's. This show just didn't work
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
You said you only watched the first couple of episodes. This hardly seems like a fair criticism since you didn't really give the show a chance. Not that I am saying, mind you, this was a great show worth sticking with. There are plenty of good reasons to have dropped it, but I'm not sure this is one.
I think the first couple (assuming he means 2-3 episodes) is fair enough. I always go back to this. How long do you have to watch something to give it a "fair chance"? There's no set rules. Some shows you know, after 2-3 episodes you're not going to like. Some shows you may not like at first but keep watching because you think it will get better, or there's an actor/character that you like and you're hoping it will improve.

With SO much to watch these days, I think the rule is, as soon as you realize you don't like the show, stop watching. That's could be 2 episodes, 2 seasons or it might be never.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
Alfer
WOOSAH!

^^

This.

I have no issues with the 2 episode review process. You can pretty much know if you like a show or not in that timeline. I don't want to waste my time week to week "trying" to like something just because others claim said show is "good".