TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Blitz28179

Question Unboxing my TIVO now and had a question

I got me a TiVo174 Roamio DVR at amazon for $149..I am taking my cable DVR boxes back to charter tomorrow.

Have a quick question.I use the pause and rewinds buttons alot watching sports and was wondering how are these compared to the cable DVR boxes?Can you move the pause menu from the bottom to the top?I always hated that on the cable DVR cause most of the times it was in the way.Anybody know if you can do that on this TIVO model I have?

How about the FF and rewinds buttons? Do you have about 5 speeds for rewind and FF like the cable box or do you have more?
Blitz28179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, the displays cannot be moved around on the screen, but you can press CLEAR to remove them.

REW and FF only has 3 speeds (and I only use FFx2 speed at most and its enough)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
mattack

Wow, 5 speeds for rewind & FF? That's weird, because On Demand only has 2 speeds.. (and 2FF isn't fast enouth)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Worf

The TiVo's 3 speeds are far better than the 5 speeds on the box. First, pressing FF 5 times to "accellerate" takes a really long time, especially with how bad the boxes are at responding.

Plus, the TiVo's speeds are I think x2, x30 and x60, which are quite sufficient - twice speed, 30 times speed, 60 times speed. Combine that with the 15 minute ticks and you can get around the time line very quickly, something the cable box can't do.

In fact, if you see how people use it, the response is so slow they almost always push 5 times out of habit (a LOT of button pushes!), overshoot, then spend the next 30 seconds locating the transition. With TiVo, it's just fast and responsive that hitting it twice to skip commercials or back up is good enough.

TiVo basically picked some utterly reasonable speeds rather than try to offer a bunch of them making it almost useless. Then again, I suppose if the real reason is to deter ad skipping, well, 5 speeds works a lot better because you fuss with it so much.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Blitz28179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The TiVo's 3 speeds are far better than the 5 speeds on the box. First, pressing FF 5 times to "accellerate" takes a really long time, especially with how bad the boxes are at responding.

Plus, the TiVo's speeds are I think x2, x30 and x60, which are quite sufficient - twice speed, 30 times speed, 60 times speed. Combine that with the 15 minute ticks and you can get around the time line very quickly, something the cable box can't do.

In fact, if you see how people use it, the response is so slow they almost always push 5 times out of habit (a LOT of button pushes!), overshoot, then spend the next 30 seconds locating the transition. With TiVo, it's just fast and responsive that hitting it twice to skip commercials or back up is good enough.

TiVo basically picked some utterly reasonable speeds rather than try to offer a bunch of them making it almost useless. Then again, I suppose if the real reason is to deter ad skipping, well, 5 speeds works a lot better because you fuss with it so much.
Thanks for the explanation
Blitz28179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

I agree. Tivo has perfected FF. It's always been this way since way back with the Series 1 units 15 years ago. You would think other companies would have figured out how to do a better job with this by now.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
mattack

...except that Tivos haven't properly been able to do 1xFF properly on digital recordings since the original S3.. It speeds up and slows down.. often it's really 1x with no sound... and of course they took away (for some supposed technical reason that nobody has explained) the closed captions working at 1xff.. which, even if it was originally a fluke, is something many of us enjoy(ed). I even sometimes transfer shows to my TivoHD just so I have this ability.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...except that Tivos haven't properly been able to do 1xFF properly on digital recordings since the original S3.. It speeds up and slows down.. often it's really 1x with no sound...
You realize this isn't TiVo's fault, right?
TiVo can no longer control how the video is encoded now that the signals are digital and recorded "as is".

You are free to blame them for removing CC with 1 X FF, however. That is something within their control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

My Premiere shows Co's when ffx1.....
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote