TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
vman

HIMYM - Sunrise - OAD 2/3/14

No thread? Back to an episode without the mother, which is disappointing. Overall so-so. The main good thing was the part where Ted finally lets Robin go (although the floating away was dumb). Interesting last week the mother let go of her previous love, and this week Ted did, so they are now both "ready" to meet each other. While the Barney stuff was ok, I did kind of like the end with him giving his final advice to the two guys, esp the part about it's not legendary unless your friends are there.

And while I didn't much care for the Marshall/Lilly stuff, I am curious how they did the "young" Lilly scenes.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I laughed when Marshall's father showed up.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
LlamaLarry

I was impressed with whatever they did to accomplish young Lilly, she looked terrific.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I thought it was so-so also. In fact, I forgot I had even watched this week's episode.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I thought we were done with episodes with Marshall acting all by himself because he's making a film...
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I thought we were done with episodes with Marshall acting all by himself because he's making a film...
He wasn't really acting with ghosts, you know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I think it's clear what the writers intend. The previous episode ended with The Mother, after years of not being open to a new relationship, finally letting go of her reluctance, her connection to her previous love. It was full of moments when Destiny (i.e., chance encounters with her to-be-soulmate) crept up on her, but she rebuffed them because she wasn't ready for it. Then she finally decided to move on. And this episode ended with Ted, we are meant to think, doing the same thing: finally letting go of Robin, and thus, finally becoming ready for Destiny to come. Thus setting the stage for a "now that we're both finally ready, now, we can finally meet" scene.

The trouble is, the "Ted finally letting go of Robin" thing was beaten to death over the years. Now, like the boy who cried wolf, we can't trust that this time is any more real than all the others, except for the meta fact that this time the writers need it to be real because they only have so many episodes in which to wrap up the story. But in the story, in the show, there's nothing about this one that's really more convincing than all the previous ones. If the show got a surprise renewal for another year, we'd all be not at all surprised if, midway through next season, Ted tearfully confessed he was still hung up on Robin.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
jeff92k7

Ted is such a ******bag. What kind of jerk tells the bride on her wedding day that he still has feelings for her but he's going to let her go.

I can deal with the cliche of telling the bride about feelings and trying to win her back and then going off into the sunset together. That's been played out so many times in so many shows and movies. But this was just Ted being an idiot. Don't ruin the wedding day for the bride by making her think about you.

And the floating away thing ruined the whole episode. I kept expecting them to pan to a nearby skeet shooting range and then show her shot out of the sky. That would have been great!!
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Are you Jesus?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
He wasn't really acting with ghosts, you know...
hard to write things with a straight face, but I tried!
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I think it's clear what the writers intend. The previous episode ended with The Mother, after years of not being open to a new relationship, finally letting go of her reluctance, her connection to her previous love. It was full of moments when Destiny (i.e., chance encounters with her to-be-soulmate) crept up on her, but she rebuffed them because she wasn't ready for it. Then she finally decided to move on. And this episode ended with Ted, we are meant to think, doing the same thing: finally letting go of Robin, and thus, finally becoming ready for Destiny to come. Thus setting the stage for a "now that we're both finally ready, now, we can finally meet" scene.

The trouble is, the "Ted finally letting go of Robin" thing was beaten to death over the years. Now, like the boy who cried wolf, we can't trust that this time is any more real than all the others, except for the meta fact that this time the writers need it to be real because they only have so many episodes in which to wrap up the story. But in the story, in the show, there's nothing about this one that's really more convincing than all the previous ones. If the show got a surprise renewal for another year, we'd all be not at all surprised if, midway through next season, Ted tearfully confessed he was still hung up on Robin.
I kind of agree that it's not any more convincing, but based on what we know, it's real. That's either the script or the actors' faults.

I missed the first 10 minutes or so because of snow on my dish. I'll have to go and find it now.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
...The trouble is, the "Ted finally letting go of Robin" thing was beaten to death over the years.
I have a feeling there will be at least 1 more "letting go" before the end.. Ted is a ******..
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
mattack

I thought the floating away was kind of neat... and the speech on the bridge was pretty moving.. until the chick threw the locket in the water...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I get the symbolism that it's (supposedly) finally over, but the floating away thing was just another one of those things that the writers choose to do that just makes me roll my eyes and reinforce the 'this is stupid' feeling I've had about the show for a while now.

I don't think we've seen the end of the locket. I'm guessing there will be another flash back where Ted goes after it.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
rcandsc
Tivo is a verb

The wife and I feel like we are just playing out the string with HIMYM at this point. We have watched since Ep1 and it's more like a habit than enjoyment at this point. I guess we are holding out hope that there might be a redeeming episode or two before this comes to an end...

Ted is a complete d***he...Give it up already with Robin.
rcandsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Only six more episodes of this (the last being a double-length).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought the floating away was kind of neat... and the speech on the bridge was pretty moving.. until the chick threw the locket in the water...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I get the symbolism that it's (supposedly) finally over, but the floating away thing was just another one of those things that the writers choose to do that just makes me roll my eyes and reinforce the 'this is stupid' feeling I've had about the show for a while now.

I don't think we've seen the end of the locket. I'm guessing there will be another flash back where Ted goes after it.
Of course she was going to throw the locket off the bridge. I saw that coming the whole time. I thought Ted was going to dive in after it. Maybe we'll get another flashback where he does.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Well, the Robin thing has been beaten to death, and yet people still think Ted and Robin should get together somehow. I think this season has gotten stronger as it has gone on. This wasn't as good as last week but overall the season is much improved from the 45 hours of watching Marshall talk to an irrelevant character in a Hummer. I think they are doing a good job of resolving storylines while also harkening back to what made this show good.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm on the side of the fence that says that Robin floating away was ultra-lame. I understad they needed to show that Ted had finally actually let go. But that was just way outside the normal style of this show to have her float into the air.

I also thought the Barney stuff was completely pointless. Why introduce two random kids at this late stage in the show?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
dimented
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm on the side of the fence that says that Robin floating away was ultra-lame. I understad they needed to show that Ted had finally actually let go. But that was just way outside the normal style of this show to have her float into the air.

I also thought the Barney stuff was completely pointless. Why introduce two random kids at this late stage in the show?
I believe that was too also show Barney letting go of his past. At least that was the way I took it.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
and yet people still think Ted and Robin should get together somehow.
If this is actually true, it is only on the "if you can name it someone thinks it" basis that also means there has to be, somewhere on the Internet, an entire community of people writing Ranjit/McLaren slashfic.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Of course she was going to throw the locket off the bridge. I saw that coming the whole time.
Well, that's what I thought at first, but I (wrongly) thought that his moving speech might make her not be a nutcase for a minute and give it back to him.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #23
Ereth

Don't we have some parts where Robin runs off and they have to bring her back left? I remember something about that from many many seasons ago, before we even knew it was Barney she was marrying. (or was it the other way around?)

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #24
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I kind of agree that it's not any more convincing, but based on what we know, it's real. That's either the script or the actors' faults.

I missed the first 10 minutes or so because of snow on my dish. I'll have to go and find it now.
You really don't need to go get it, it wasn't that good.

Back to blah blah with this episode. 3 storylines, none that good.....
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
You really don't need to go get it, it wasn't that good.

Back to blah blah with this episode. 3 storylines, none that good.....
I found it. It was good seeing Sarah Chalke again. And at least now I know where the two dudes with Barney came from.

I also saw that as Barney's official retirement from his single life. He handed the reigns to the two younger guys. And with this, and Ted letting go, I think there's ZERO change that Barney and Robin don't get hitched. I think the episode was needed as sort of the anti-Ross/Rachel situation. With R&R throughout the whole series there was their relationship hanging over the show, so you KNEW it had to end with them together at the end. For this series, you had the Ted/Robin thing. This was their way of ending that. Not all that well done, but I think it had to be done somehow.

As an aside, do you think TBBT is heading this way with Penny/Leonard? Do you all think that it is inevitable they end up getting married, but until that they will play the usual sitcom game of them together then apart then together again.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
. As an aside, do you think TBBT is heading this way with Penny/Leonard? Do you all think that it is inevitable they end up getting married, but until that they will play the usual sitcom game of them together then apart then together again.
Haven't they been doing that almost from the start?