TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #31
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wolves View Post
Spoiler:
Moriarty faked his own death at the same time as Sherlock was faking his own death.
speculation on the above follows:

Spoiler:
I think Moriarty is dead. I think the "miss me" is some sort of computer hack that he implemented before his demise, and is now controlled by someone else Irene Adler, maybe, or the last remaining member of Moriarty's network. The ultimate hack would be Sherlock set it up as a "get out of Jail (or suicide mission in Eastern Europe) free card"

tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #32
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

^^^^^

Agreed, mostly, but not discussed in the open!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #33
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Is this the inevitable backlash?

I had fun with season 3. There were plenty of times during the first two runs that I watched the TV feeling something like euphoria, and those admittedly were less common this time around. But then, there is only so long that a thing can feel truly new. Familiarity has for some people, I suspect, indeed bred contempt.

That said, sure, this season was probably a bit less successful creatively than the first two. There are a few more plot nits to pick at, some tonality shifts that didn't quite work, and character beats that were a little surprising. I suspect the latter two things, at least, were quite deliberate. This is a character study as much as anything, and it would be a failure if Sherlock and Watson did not change as a result of their relationship with each other. Maybe you liked it, maybe not.

It's still high-level television, and I can't wait for more.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #34
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

enjoyed season 3, even with episode 1 dragging on and on, and really enjoyed the last episode, though the cliffhanger was not completely unexpected - looking forward to season 4.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
ElJay

I thought the majority of season 3 was fun, but at the same time it felt like the characters' personalities morphed around too much to suit specific scenes.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #36
mattack

I haven't watched S3.. but I've watched the first 2 eps of S1 so far. I've been watching "Elementary" all along, and likely because I saw that first (and because of Lucy Liu), I like it better, but still have enjoyed this show. Watching it on Amazon, of course you miss the little intros that the guy does on Masterpiece Mystery. (Though the one I checked out, after watching it on Amazon, was just the oft-repeated story of Doyle's teacher Bell.)

(tangent) Reading some of the imdb comments about "Elementary" is funny though. Basically a lot of "I stayed away from this because of the British series" comments, then they eventually tried out "Elementary", and really liked it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, for all the talk about Elementary being a rip-off off Sherlock, they are two completely different shows...equally awesome, but completely different.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #38
kmccbf

I'm not sure I think season 3 is worse or better than the other seasons, but it has a very different feel which I thinks puts some people off. I really enjoyed the last episode. I almost felt that Moffet merged some scripts from Doctor Who with those of Sherlock. I almost got a wibily wobely, timey wimy feel from them. This is said in jest, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point in the series we don't find out that Sherlock and Moriarty are time lords.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #39
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
I almost felt that Moffet merged some scripts from Doctor Who with those of Sherlock. I almost got a wibily wobely, timey wimy feel from them. This is said in jest, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point in the series we don't find out that Sherlock and Moriarty are time lords.

Steven Moffat interviewed in the Guardian:
"Sherlock is Doctor Who but an hour later in the TV schedules. Not two hours later, one hour." Doesn't Moffat want to write grown-up stuff for two hours later? "Not really. Writing for adults often means just increasing the swearing – but find an alternative to swearing and you've probably got a better line."

He says he did write grown-up stuff – Joking Apart in the 90s and Coupling in the 00s, sitcoms that riffed on his own sexual history. "You could say they were adult. Or maybe they were more childish than what I'm writing now." >
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...ock-doctor-who
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, for all the talk about Elementary being a rip-off off Sherlock, they are two completely different shows...equally awesome, but completely different.
I think at this point, I enjoy Elementary more. I typically give up on procedurals fairly quickly. I just get bored with 22, 1 hour episodes every year. Elementary keeps me interested and watching.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #41
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
He says he did write grown-up stuff – Joking Apart in the 90s and Coupling in the 00s, sitcoms that riffed on his own sexual history. "You could say they were adult. Or maybe they were more childish than what I'm writing now." >
Hm, never heard of "Joking Apart". I guess it's not on DVD? (simply checked imdb). I love Coupling, so would like to check this out.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #42
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Hm, never heard of "Joking Apart". I guess it's not on DVD? (simply checked imdb). I love Coupling, so would like to check this out.
You can get the Joking Apart season 1 DVD set from Amazon, but you will need a DVD player that can play region 2 DVDs.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #43
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
I almost felt that Moffet merged some scripts from Doctor Who with those of Sherlock. I almost got a wibily wobely, timey wimy feel from them. This is said in jest, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point in the series we don't find out that Sherlock and Moriarty are time lords.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #44
Church AV Guy

I purchased the BR disks of Sherlock season three because the high def broadcast of Sherlock in the Los Angeles area was very poor. For example: During the scene at the wedding when the flower petals are tossed into the air, the picture breaks up and pixelates so badly it's not much better than video noise. The BR disk looks stunningly beautiful at that point compared to the video mess that was broadcast. (That isn't the only place where the picture breaks up, but it was the worst.) I guess the LA PBS station is using too many sub channels to provide enough bandwidth for the main video stream.

The Amazon.com version of the Sherlock Season 3 BR disks was released Tuesday. The ones I have are from the UK. While the latest season of Downton Abbey was clearly labeled as BR region B, these Sherlock season 3 BR disks are not labeled with a region code at all that I could find, and I really looked hard for it, so I assume they are all-region. It's hard to tell since my BR player is all-region. I read somewhere that only 30-35 percent of BR disks are region encoded.

[RANT = ON]
I think that the region coding was enacted to protect the income of local distributors, though it's real effect is to irritate people like myself who then have to get region-free hardware. Whatever the reason, it's one of the things that are in the way of free information exchange. I'd hate to have a disk that wouldn't play because of a region code. All the data is there, but it's inaccessible simply because of an arbitrary bit set somewhere in the format. Yeah I got region free DVD and BR players.
[RANT = OFF]

Watching episode three a second time, I saw some interesting stuff I missed the first time. Sherlock and Janine never had sex. The guy who challenged Magnussen, in the opening scene, was a bit later indicted on corruption charges. Lady Smallwood's husband, later in the show, commits suicide. The story telling can get a bit dense and takes some attention to get the details. They did a good job of faking us out into thinking that there was a computer interface in his glasses. At one point, he takes the glasses off when the visible text gets fuzzy. He cleans the glasses, puts them back on, and the text is back and is now clear. It sure looked like it was the glasses to me. In the scene where Magnussen first meets Sherlock, there is a long list of his "pressure points" in red, but it's a fake. It's the same five or six lines of text are repeated many times and quickly scroll up. Magnussen laughed, and I did as well at that. When Magnussen was "flicking" Watson's face, he commented that he had done the same thing to Janine.

Who would benefit the most from FAKING the return of Jim Moriarty? Why Sherlock
himself, of course.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #45
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I felt season 3 was a step down, but not so huge a step down that I'd ever consider not watching; it wasn't stepping down that far, and it was stepping down from so very high.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
The Amazon.com version of the Sherlock Season 3 BR disks was released Tuesday. The ones I have are from the UK. While the latest season of Downton Abbey was clearly labeled as BR region B, these Sherlock season 3 BR disks are not labeled with a region code at all that I could find, and I really looked hard for it, so I assume they are all-region. It's hard to tell since my BR player is all-region. I read somewhere that only 30-35 percent of BR disks are region encoded.
The way you can tell is try to play it. Blu-Ray players can't be region-free without switching regions (that is, if it's a Region A player and you have a Region B disc, you have to switch the player to Region B through some arcane manner specified by the modifier). So if you play it without switching, the disc is either the one you have it set to or region-free.

(Often British discs are labelled "Region B" but are actually region-free.)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
mattack

Aren't region free players at best grey market, and possibly black market?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #48
ElJay

Quote:
You can buy some legit region-locked players and then install a third party mod which allows the region to be changed on demand.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #49
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
You can buy some legit region-locked players and then install a third party mod which allows the region to be changed on demand.
Or you can buy modded players. The place I got mine is a pretty big established outfit with a store in Chicago and an open internet presence, who advertise their region-free players openly, so I assume it must be legal or they would have gone after them years ago.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
kmccbf

Quote:
Or you can buy modded players. The place I got mine is a pretty big established outfit with a store in Chicago and an open internet presence, who advertise their region-free players openly, so I assume it must be legal or they would have gone after them years ago.
Off Topic, but this is true. There are many legitimate needs for region-free or dual region players. I know that Indiana University's multicultural centers and student groups have several region-free players that are used to help foreign students keep up with news and culture from their home countries.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #51
mattack

Quote:
modded players, I'd call that grey market. I bet if the MPAA wanted to get the feds on them, they would.. (I am *NOT* one of those who think the MPAA is by definition evil.)

Education-wise, heck, there may be some kind of a loophole for that.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #52
wtherrell

FWIW I think I still prefer the old Edwardian setting shows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #53
Church AV Guy

Quote:
There is no mandate that disk manufacturers adhere to region coding. Only about 30-35 percent of Blu-Ray disks are region encoded. If there were any issues with selling region free disk players, you wouldn't see so many of them being openly advertised in national retailers like Amazon.com Some companies manufacture two versions of the same player, one region free, the other region coded. The distinction between the two is just a suffix to the model number.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #54
AeneaGames

Quote:
modded players, I'd call that grey market. I bet if the MPAA wanted to get the feds on them, they would.. (I am *NOT* one of those who think the MPAA is by definition evil.)

Education-wise, heck, there may be some kind of a loophole for that.

Neither the MPAA nor the feds are interested in US people who want to watch discs meant for the non-US market...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #55
doom1701
I blue myself!

Bumping this since we just finished watching series 3 on Netflix. All of the series have struggled with story/"mystery" resolution, but series 3 struggled the most. All 3 episodes had really weak resolutions.

Where the show excels has been the characters and the way they relate to each other. The wedding episode was one of the greatest 90 minutes of character interaction I've ever witnessed, and the finale was wonderful as well, but in a less light hearted way.

We watch for the characters, but if series 4 continues to slip in the mystery department, I don't know if we'll be so interested in series 5.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #56
Hcour

I agree the shows seemed to be all over the place. If they would just tell the mystery story and get on with it I would've enjoyed it much more, but it's like they kept interrupting it for some personal Watson/Sherlock stuff or something else for a bit, then some mystery, then more personal stuff, a little more mystery, and so on. The Wedding episode took me about a month to get thru.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #57
Johncv

Question, I miss the first episode of S3 on PBS, it now on Netflix. However, PBS has all the episodes at 2 hours, Netflix has them at 1 hour 30 minutes, so did Netflix edit them?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #58
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Question, I miss the first episode of S3 on PBS, it now on Netflix. However, PBS has all the episodes at 2 hours, Netflix has them at 1 hour 30 minutes, so did Netflix edit them?
No, they're 1.5 hours.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #59
Agatha Mystery

The two hours were an hour and a half of show and thirty minutes of special features
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote