TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #181
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Yes it does which is why it's not really as big a deal as some make it out to be.
Quit saying that and trivializing other people's issues. Perhaps YOU don't pause very often, trying to look at things on the screen. Perhaps YOU don't find it that annoying. Perhaps YOU don't think it blocks too much of the screen. But others might, and their concerns are perfectly valid.

JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO YOU DOESN'T MAKE IT NOT A BIG DEAL FOR OTHERS.

The solution is to use the SPSP code.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #182
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Quit saying that and trivializing other people's issues. Perhaps YOU don't pause very often, trying to look at things on the screen. Perhaps YOU don't find it that annoying. Perhaps YOU don't think it blocks too much of the screen. But others might, and their concerns are perfectly valid. JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO YOU DOESN'T MAKE IT NOT A BIG DEAL FOR OTHERS. The solution is to use the SPSP code.
So use the code and be done with it. Still not a big deal.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #183
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Quit saying that and trivializing other people's issues. Perhaps YOU don't pause very often, trying to look at things on the screen. Perhaps YOU don't find it that annoying. Perhaps YOU don't think it blocks too much of the screen. But others might, and their concerns are perfectly valid.

JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO YOU DOESN'T MAKE IT NOT A BIG DEAL FOR OTHERS.

I agree with you.

Unfortunately, some people don't respect that others can be bothered by things that don't bother them. It's a selfish attitude. Kind of sad that people can be so self absorbed.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #184
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I don't think it'll ever get to the point of full screen or ads during pause - because by that time everything will be IPTV on demand and we won't need Tivos anymore.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #185
ltxi

For whatever reason, the pause pop-up ads on playback on my two new Roamios have all gone away.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #186
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
For whatever reason, the pause pop-up ads on playback on my two new Roamios have all gone away.
Expect that to be temporary...
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #187
Devx

A reminder that those discontent with the ad size and locations should sign up for the Tivo Advisors panel. There are surveys sent out that address these exact topics and allow Tivo to collect and aggregate the data better than on TCF.

http://www3.tivo.com/panel/index.do
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #188
HarperVision

Has anyone else noticed that they're implementing the pop up "thumbs up" ad in the upper right hand corner of your screen when one of their partner's commercials come on, like they used to? I saw it the other night with Bounty paper towels.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #189
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I've been seeing the Charmin one ever since they started that campaign. Haven't see the Bounty one yet, or any others for that matter.

Too bad the networks don't buy into this. I miss seeing the "press thumbs up to record" during an ad for a show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #190
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I've been seeing the Charmin one ever since they started that campaign. Haven't see the Bounty one yet, or any others for that matter.

Too bad the networks don't buy into this. I miss seeing the "press thumbs up to record" during an ad for a show.
They have been showing one for "Almost Human" in my market now for a while where they want you to press thumbs up to record. I bet even if you press thumbs up it continues to spam you with the ad at every opportunity.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #191
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Has anyone else noticed that they're implementing the pop up "thumbs up" ad in the upper right hand corner of your screen when one of their partner's commercials come on, like they used to?
Yes. But they have been doing that for years.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #192
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that they're implementing the pop up "thumbs up" ad in the upper right hand corner of your screen when one of their partner's commercials come on, like they used to? I saw it the other night with Bounty paper towels.
Quote:
I miss it's old name "tivo-matic"

Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #193
ltxi

Quote:
Why?
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #194
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Why?
Because ads are not going away. Sometimes they disappear for a while, especially when promotions are changing. Other factors seem to affect it to, although we don't know what they are.

The only thing for sure is that they always come back.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #195
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Yes. This is the only TiVo ad that I don't mind at all.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #196
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Unfortunately, you are probably correct...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #197
HarperVision

Quote:
I know I just haven't seen it for a LONG time. I thought maybe they discontinued that form of ads.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #198
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I know I just haven't seen it for a LONG time. I thought maybe they discontinued that form of ads.
I just saw it last week (commercial thumbs ads). Although I admit it had been a loooong time since I had seen it prior.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #199
tonestert

For some reason I keep having to redo the Select Play Select Pause Select (Easter Egg) to get rid of the ads. I'll do the spsps and then the next day the ads are back.
Anyone else having this issue ? I hate the damn pause ads !
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #200
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
For some reason I keep having to redo the Select Play Select Pause Select (Easter Egg) to get rid of the ads. I'll do the spsps and then the next day the ads are back.
Anyone else having this issue ? I hate the damn pause ads !
I know that if the TiVo reboots you have to re-enter the code. (Some SPS codes persist across reboots, such as the one for old-style 30-second skip, but others like this one get reset when you reboot.)

The ads don't bother me so I never use this code. But from what I understand a reboot is the only thing that should be resetting it.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #201
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
I know that if the TiVo reboots you have to re-enter the code. (Some SPS codes persist across reboots, such as the one for old-style 30-second skip, but others like this one get reset when you reboot.)...
Not so....my XL4 has rebooted and this code does NOT reset. It's worked since the day I activated the code. Maybe on the Roamio it needs to be reset, but not on my Premiere...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #202
TVjunky

Well I currently have directv thinking about getting Tivo but this add thing is ridiculous pay $1000 plus for a system then have to tweak it for hours between cable company and tivo plus a monthly or lifetime fee and you have to put up with Ads WoW.

Directv shows no ads whatsoever on any DVR playback screens
TVjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #203
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVjunky View Post
Well I currently have directv thinking about getting Tivo but this add thing is ridiculous pay $1000 plus for a system then have to tweak it for hours between cable company and tivo plus a monthly or lifetime fee and you have to put up with Ads WoW.

I came from directv and I have to say in the long run its worth it. What I would do is get the TiVo gear and try it out for the thirty day money back period and see if it works for you. Just suspend your directv account if you don't want to pay 2 bills.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #204
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVjunky View Post

tweak it for hours? what?

As for ads on playback - just do the "Select Play Select Pause Select" trickplay and the bar/ads will instantly go away when paused.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #205
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
the bar/ads will instantly go away when paused.
(so will the timeline, FWIW)

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #206
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
(so will the timeline, FWIW)
right, the bar. I said that

you can always bring it back up if you really need it. I've always had mine off because I've never had a need to see it. You see it once you start fast forwarding.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #207
jmpage2

Some of us like the normal timeline behavior and don't want to have to enable a special feature to hide the ads. It would be better if we could opt out of those ads as they cover a lot of screen real estate, are intrusive, are annoying, and didn't exist (for many of us) when we bought the product.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #208
TrooperOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Some of us like the normal timeline behavior and don't want to have to enable a special feature to hide the ads. It would be better if we could opt out of those ads as they cover a lot of screen real estate, are intrusive, are annoying, and didn't exist (for many of us) when we bought the product.
This is how I feel.
TrooperOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #209
TrooperOrange

I understand the perspective of ads are everywhere, normal cable DVR's have them, just ignore them etc...

There is still a part of me very pissed off though. We shell out good money for their hardware (Expensive for what it is) and then pay them $15/mo on top and we still get these nasty huge ads. Annoys the piss out of me.

I understand Tivo needs to make money etc... etc... but really?

I think the reality is Tivo has no real competition, so they don't really care that much about CE. MCE and Beyond TV boxes aren't what they once were, cable company DVR's just suck all around, and there really isn't anyone else out there.
TrooperOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #210
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperOrange View Post
I understand the perspective of ads are everywhere, normal cable DVR's have them, just ignore them etc...

There is still a part of me very pissed off though. We shell out good money for their hardware (Expensive for what it is) and then pay them $15/mo on top and we still get these nasty huge ads. Annoys the piss out of me.

I understand Tivo needs to make money etc... etc... but really?

I think the reality is Tivo has no real competition, so they don't really care that much about CE. MCE and Beyond TV boxes aren't what they once were, cable company DVR's just suck all around, and there really isn't anyone else out there.
Adds are everywhere, I hardly notice the ones on my TiVos. My patients spend over $75/mo for satellite without any premium/add free channels or a DVR to help skip past them. Now that's what I call abuse.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote