TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 204 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #901
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
We'll guys another exec just told me the same thing lets hope this is real I am excited.
Are you saying that Comcast is going to roll out the new firmware to every TiVo CableCard customer in the country today? Seems unlikely. Did you get your update yet?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #902
tatergator1

FYI, some other members have noticed a new update to the Tivo software rolled out last night. Seems to be targeting the East Coast, at least. Per a Tweet from Margret, this is a small, targeted update containing a work-around for a CableCard issue in select markets. Anyone here notice the update. Margret didn't elaborate on what CableCard issue they addressing.

See here.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #903
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Are you saying that Comcast is going to roll out the new firmware to every TiVo CableCard customer in the country today? Seems unlikely. Did you get your update yet?
I was told it would be sent out to only Tivos but I am beginning to think I was lied to by two different execs. They both said today, but I have not received jack, and I would imagine the updates take place super early not to mess up prime time.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #904
generaltso

Quote:
I am beginning to think I was lied to by two different execs.
That seems much more likely. If you happen to be in a market that is already testing the new fw, it's believable that they can purposely push it out to your cards. A nationwide rollout in one day doesn't seem believable to me.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #905
GriffithStrife

Well it's official I was getting smoke blown up my ass, I really am starting to lose it there was no reason for me to be lied to like that. If you can't help say so I will move on, don't make me wait like a ****ing dummy for something you pulled out of your ass. If anyone wants the exec's number PM me maybe you can get some honesty out of him
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #906
GriffithStrife

Just got a call this guy says it was delayed till Monday for what ever. I think he is full of it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #907
KevinG

Something is happening. I noticed that my card went from 1.5.2_F.p.3001 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101. (if the screens are to be believed, it happened about 2 days ago (28th))

I wasn't having any tuner problems, but, somehow, miraculously, it fixed my VOD freezing issue.

(Comcast, S. Jersey)
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #908
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Something is happening. I noticed that my card went from 1.5.2_F.p.3001 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101. (if the screens are to be believed, it happened about 2 days ago (28th))

I wasn't having any tuner problems, but, somehow, miraculously, it fixed my VOD freezing issue.

(Comcast, S. Jersey)
That's the long awaited firmware update I still need to get all my tuners working. I hope it comes my way soon.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #909
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Hmm, I just got a Roamio Plus in the mail today and got it set up. I'm wondering if there's a reliable way to test this to see if tuners 5 and 6 are working? I have not had a 6-tuner box before.

I'm on WideOpenWest cable, and have a SA cablecard in the Plus with firmware version 1.5.2_F.p.3001 which I understand is the problematic one.

Thing is, I hooked it up, no errors have appeared, and I've done six recordings at once and all have worked fine... so how do I know if there's a problem / intermittent issue or if WOW has somehow avoided the issue that Comcast had?
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #910
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post
Hmm, I just got a Roamio Plus in the mail today and got it set up. I'm wondering if there's a reliable way to test this to see if tuners 5 and 6 are working? I have not had a 6-tuner box before.

I'm on WideOpenWest cable, and have a SA cablecard in the Plus with firmware version 1.5.2_F.p.3001 which I understand is the problematic one.

Thing is, I hooked it up, no errors have appeared, and I've done six recordings at once and all have worked fine... so how do I know if there's a problem / intermittent issue or if WOW has somehow avoided the issue that Comcast had?
All cards with that firmware have the issue problem is you don't know when it will show up and if it will affect your recording. Best bet is to drop down to 4 tuners and wait for the update, contact your provider and ask about it. But if they are anything like Comcast they will just lie till you stop calling.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #911
TheWGP
Hmmm...

So this is an intermittent issue with no symptoms, testing or evaluation possible?

Everything will run along just fine and dandy on 6 tuners until it surprises and says it won't?

Anyone know if the recent update Tivo pushed out related to Cablecard workarounds had anything to do with this?
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #912
KevinG

I had 1.5.2_F.p.3001 for a full two months (December and January) and never once encountered a problem. And we record tons on our pro. So, you should probably leave it alone until it causes a problem...and when/if it does, reduce the number of tuners.

In the meantime, I've gotten 1.5.3 (about 3 days ago), so I can't be a data-point anymore.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #913
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post
So this is an intermittent issue with no symptoms, testing or evaluation possible?

Everything will run along just fine and dandy on 6 tuners until it surprises and says it won't?

Anyone know if the recent update Tivo pushed out related to Cablecard workarounds had anything to do with this?
TiVo pushed out a software which included a cablecard fix so it re-tunes the channel multiple times (and i think other fixes) until it works. That seemed to have made a huge difference in my tuner errors, so maybe it will for you as well. I suggest leaving it alone too, and then if it starts misfiring, drop the tuner count down.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #914
Keen

I was able to recreate this issue on my Roamio by recording 4 cable (i.e. non-local) channels, and then trying to tune or record a 5th. It sounds like this isn't bulletproof for everyone though.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #915
generaltso

Quote:
Just got a call this guy says it was delayed till Monday for what ever. I think he is full of it.
I just spoke to somebody from "Comcast Executive Care" as well. He confirmed that Comcast IS working on a nationwide rollout of the new firmware, but that will obviously take some time. He said that he had a tech from my head-end move my Cable Cards to the top of the list, so I should get the update today. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I see the new firmware when I get home this evening.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #916
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
TiVo pushed out a software which included a cablecard fix so it re-tunes the channel multiple times (and i think other fixes) until it works. That seemed to have made a huge difference in my tuner errors, so maybe it will for you as well. I suggest leaving it alone too, and then if it starts misfiring, drop the tuner count down.
No, the keep-trying-until-it-works fix was to deal with Tuning Adapter problems, not Cablecard problems. (And for the most part it seems to work. Yay!)

But when it comes to Cablecard tuning problems, the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Cablecards still NEED the 1.5.3 update in order to reliably handle 6 tuners.

I'm still on 1.5.2_1601 (and don't expect Charter to update it soon) but it seems to work quite reliably with 5 tuners.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #917
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I just spoke to somebody from "Comcast Executive Care" as well. He confirmed that Comcast IS working on a nationwide rollout of the new firmware, but that will obviously take some time. He said that he had a tech from my head-end move my Cable Cards to the top of the list, so I should get the update today. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I see the new firmware when I get home this evening.
Well, color me pleasantly surprised. Both my cable cards were updated to 1.5.3_1101 when I got home.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #918
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
No, the keep-trying-until-it-works fix was to deal with Tuning Adapter problems, not Cablecard problems. (And for the most part it seems to work. Yay!) But when it comes to Cablecard tuning problems, the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Cablecards still NEED the 1.5.3 update in order to reliably handle 6 tuners. I'm still on 1.5.2_1601 (and don't expect Charter to update it soon) but it seems to work quite reliably with 5 tuners.
Oh I was under the impression that it included other fixes as well because I had both TA and Cablecard tuning issues which that update seemed to fix. I haven't really had issues since.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #919
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Oh I was under the impression that it included other fixes as well because I had both TA and Cablecard tuning issues which that update seemed to fix. I haven't really had issues since.
Could be. They sometimes have fixes that Margret doesn't include in her list of changes. But as far as I know the only Cablecard-specific fix they've had was the one for pixellation issues on older FIOS cards.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #920
Ryan Nelson

I've been running 1.5.2_F.p.3001 on Charter with a tuning adapter on a Roamio Pro for a month or two now and its been flawless, along with two Tivo minis (one on wireless). You can get Charter to update your cable card to at least 1.5.2_F.p.3001 if you pester them relentlessly. It took me many months in my area to get the update, but they are much more on top of it now since more an more Roamios are in their system. Sometimes it may take 6-8 seconds to tune a specific tuning adapter channel, but I no longer get any V58 errors whatsoever - and I've been testing it pretty extensively.
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #921
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
I've been running 1.5.2_F.p.3001 on Charter with a tuning adapter on a Roamio Pro for a month or two now and its been flawless, along with two Tivo minis (one on wireless). You can get Charter to update your cable card to at least 1.5.2_F.p.3001 if you pester them relentlessly. It took me many months in my area to get the update, but they are much more on top of it now since more an more Roamios are in their system. Sometimes it may take 6-8 seconds to tune a specific tuning adapter channel, but I no longer get any V58 errors whatsoever - and I've been testing it pretty extensively.
Have you checked your history I too thought my box was perfectly for 2 months then a realized I was behind on certain shows. I could not understand why, then I checked the history numerous recording where missed due to no signal. I am not saying this happened to just checking to see if it's a possibility.

If your history is all good how many season passes do you have? I currently have 97 I am wondering if maybe the amount the tuners get used plays a factor
Old 02-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #922
Speed13b
Speed

Quote:
What Charter market are you in? I'm in Massachusetts and hitting a constant wall trying to get Charter to update my cable card firmware to support 6 tuners...
Speed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #923
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:

Ryan, who or how did you contact Charter to get the firmware upgrades done? I've had three or 4 techs at my house and they all claim they can not do anything about upgrading CableCards... (They have even called me from other clients houses on how to change the number of active tuners on Roamio's having the problems we have been discussing here)...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #924
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Have you checked your history I too thought my box was perfectly for 2 months then a realized I was behind on certain shows. I could not understand why, then I checked the history numerous recording where missed due to no signal. I am not saying this happened to just checking to see if it's a possibility.

If your history is all good how many season passes do you have? I currently have 97 I am wondering if maybe the amount the tuners get used plays a factor
I checked my history and I have no missed recording due to tuning or signal issues. We record a LOT and just keep the 3TB worth or storage full and old shows delete on their own. We have 242 season passes set up. I'm definitely getting all 6 tuners on Charter now. I'm running PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 firmware now on a Cisco cablecard hardware model 0803, version 0010. The tuning adapter firmware is xxx.1501. I am running Tivo software 20.3.8.1.RC1-USA-6-840 as part of the beta program, but I dont think the tivo software has anything to do with it. As soon as charter upgraded my cablecard firmware, it started working with all 6 tuners and has ever since.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #925
Ryan Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Ryan, who or how did you contact Charter to get the firmware upgrades done? I've had three or 4 techs at my house and they all claim they can not do anything about upgrading CableCards... (They have even called me from other clients houses on how to change the number of active tuners on Roamio's having the problems we have been discussing here)...
I'm in Birmingham, AL so might be a bit different. I just kept hounding them. At first they sent their 3rd party contractors out, then Charter's techs got involved, and finally the charter supervisor for my area got involved. It took months but I got the firmware upgrade eventually. They targeted by box and it still wouldnt upgrade. They finally removed my cable card, took it to their central office, put it in their test Roamio, upgraded the firmware, and then drove it back to my house, and re-paired. My only advice is to just keep on them. If anyone in the Birmingham, AL area has any issues getting an upgrade I can give you the local charter supervisor's name and number.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #926
HazelW

Comcast cares--firmware updated

This morning I sent an email to comcastcares_support@comcast.com requesting a firmware update. A few hours later I got a call from an exec saying he would have a tech send the update. In a few minutes, the firmware was downloading and I now have the latest version, PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101.

He also said that they had tried to push the update to everyone and some cablecards did not "take" the update. He said if it did not work they would replace the cablecard; but it worked for me.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #927
GriffithStrife

I HAVE BEEN UPDATED! In all seriousness I can't say how glad I am that Comcast stepped up on this issue.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #928
sketchr

No update for me yet. Just emailed Comcast...
sketchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #929
PaperFriend

I keep emailing and using twitter with no one replying back. I have comcast in Houston and have only 5 working tuners on my Roamio Pro
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #930
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperFriend View Post
I keep emailing and using twitter with no one replying back. I have comcast in Houston and have only 5 working tuners on my Roamio Pro
Executive relations at the regional office in Houston called me after I emailed. She had no clue about any firmware update or how it could be done. She did say she would research the issue and call me back. Whether she will or not is anyones guess.