TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
lunacy

Best router for Roamio + Mini

I am looking at getting a new router for my in home network. I wanted to see what successful setups people on here had. I have searched and found people having problems with certain models, but I would really like to see whose setup is working great and what hardware they are running.
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Best router I have ever owned:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-B.../dp/B006QB1RPY

If you want to future proof yourself a bit I reccomend the Wireless AC version:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-...words=rt-ac68u
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
AAinCal

I'm assuming you mean wifi not wired, since I don't think people are having trouble there. I had an Asus RT-N56U (not the N66U mentioned above) that i could not get working with my Roamio no matter what. It worked fine with everything else including the N-adapter attached to my Premiere. I now have a Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) that works nicely with the Roamio.
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post
I am looking at getting a new router for my in home network. I wanted to see what successful setups people on here had. I have searched and found people having problems with certain models, but I would really like to see whose setup is working great and what hardware they are running.
Any $20+ router will work fine for wired since it is primarily the switch part you are using. Are you looking for a budget recommendation or something that will rock? For budget, I would snag a used Actiontec MI424wr Rev F or above off eBay from someone leaving a FIOS area. It includes MoCA 2.0 and pretty much no one with FIOS here has any problem with Tivo networking. I've got 30 plus devices in my MI424wr rev E driven network and it all works perfectly.

I second the above ASUS recommendations at a mid level price.

I seem to remember some guy here with a $500 Cisco home router setup with terrible Tivo problems, so I'd skip that.

Last edited by dahacker : 02-03-2014 at 05:55 AM.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post
I'm assuming you mean wifi not wired, since I don't think people are having trouble there. I had an Asus RT-N56U (not the N66U mentioned above) that i could not get working with my Roamio no matter what. It worked fine with everything else including the N-adapter attached to my Premiere. I now have a Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) that works nicely with the Roamio.
I happen to be using the Asus RT-N56U router you mention with absolutely no problems at the moment. The one problem I did have when I first installed my Roamio and Mini were centered around green switches I have in addition to that router. But as a wired path between Roamio, Mini, and the outside world, it, along with another router/access point, has been running quite well.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
lunacy

I will be running a wired connection for the Roamio and Mini, but everything else (non-Tivo), and an old series 2 will be running wifi. So that will be a feature I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post

Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Ziggie

I love our ASUS router, but our TiVo could not connect to it.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
lunacy

Sounds like ASUS might be one to avoid with a Tivo with the criteria of no potential headaches.

I have been looking at a Linksys EA4500 or a EA6500(refurb $99 at linksys.com)

So, anyone hear anything bad about those in regards to Tivos?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
takeshi

There are many good routers out there. I also use the Asus RT-N66U and would recommend it. If I was buying today I'd be looking at the AC version as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post
Sounds like ASUS might be one to avoid with a Tivo with the criteria of no potential headaches.
Consider specific routers versus entire brands.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Best router I have ever owned:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-B.../dp/B006QB1RPY

If you want to future proof yourself a bit I reccomend the Wireless AC version:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-...words=rt-ac68u
Tico, can you please tell me... what is the difference between these 2 units? What is "wireless AC" actually?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
vurbano

Best router is ASUS RT-AC68U. end of discussion. absolutely no problems with it.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Tico, can you please tell me... what is the difference between these 2 units? What is "wireless AC" actually?
Basically it is gigabit speed over the air.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
falc122727

Wired Router

The way my house is wired, I prefer a wired only router, along with wireless APs. They don't make many wired only routers anymore, but I recently found one I love, that is working great with my Roamio and Mini, and still maintaining excellent throughput across the rest of the network. Check out the Mikrotik RB750GL Router and RB260GS Switches. I've had a great experience with them and you'll see great reviews at Amazon.

For wireless I use a Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range AP, which is the best wireless I have ever used at home. Haven't tried it on a TiVo though, as all of mine have been ethernet.

Last edited by falc122727 : 02-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.
falc122727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
lessd

My Netgear R6300 has been working great for some years now

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Best router is ASUS RT-AC68U. end of discussion. absolutely no problems with it.
Quote:
Basically it is gigabit speed over the air.
Thank you both!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
patrickthickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc122727 View Post
They don't make many wired only routers anymore, but I recently found one I love, that is working great with my Roamio and Mini, and still maintaining excellent throuhgput across the rest of the network.
I use a ZyXel 110, which is a wired firewall with 5 GigE ports. I think I paid 350 for it. It has many features we do not need, but as a firewall it performs stateful inspection and it more configurable overall.

In my experience, wireless is problematic and I use it only for our small number of smart phones and one tablet.

The Tivos are much happier, in our environment, with hardwired.
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
For budget, I would snag a used Actiontec MI424wr Rev F or above off eBay from someone leaving a FIOS area. It includes MoCA 2.0 and pretty much no one with FIOS here has any problem with Tivo networking.
I would second this recommendation for the ease of moca.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
I have an ASUS RT-AC68R (the retail version of the 68U) and likewise have had no problems at all. I've had TiVo Series 2, HD, and Roamio all hooked up to it both wired and wireless without any issues.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
shrike4242

Quote:
The firmware's been a bit wonky at some points since release, though it's getting better.

I'm probably going to upgrade my RT-N66U to an AC68U once the 802.11AC standard is fully ratified, which should happen this year.

I also have to put in another recommendation for the RT-N66U, as I've had one for almost two years and it's a workhouse of a router.

I have 2-3 laptops connected to it, 2 smartphones, 3 tablets, 5 Tivo units over MoCA, multiple gaming consoles (PS3, X360, Wii, OG Xbox, PS2, GameCube) and a HTPC connected via a wireless bridge and the router has never had any real issues. I've shuffled a couple of terabytes over the weekend from Tivo to Tivo while other stuff was being done and it's not complained once.

For either the N66U or the AC68U, I strongly recommend using the variant of DD-WRT from RMerlin on forums.smallnetbuilder.com:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

RMerlin is constantly evolving the firmware, is always responsive to questions and works directly with ASUS on a number of FW-related issues he runs across.

ASUS wireless devices forum:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
mjgraves

Some years ago, after some dreadful experiences with voip implementation using various Linksys & Netgear devices, I completely gave up on consumer routers. I moved to an open source software called m0n0wall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/) running on a single board computer, in my case a PC Engines ALIX. Netgate.com is an excellent source for such systems.

This combination is a bit more costly, running about $200 to get started, but it's been an absolute joy to use. Extremely stable, flexible, with wonderful support from the user community.

We have had zero issues with our Tivo systems on this network. We've had (3) Tivos Series 2, (2) TivoHD and most recently a Roamio Plus+ Mini. Since moving to the Roamio we've been streaming Netflix SuperHD (1080p) over our Comcast internet service.

http://www.mgraves.org/2014/01/recen...-edge-network/

The m0n0wall/ALIX combination lets me maintain traffic shaping that supports video streaming, music streaming and multiple voice calls over the same connection with zero suffering of any service.

For those who need more control or depth than m0n0wall supports there's pfsense (http://www.pfsense.org) which is also open source and runs on similar SBCs or any PC with two NICs.

Tivo User since 2001
Current: Roamio Plus + Mini
Past: (2) TivoHD, (3) Tivo Series 1-2, (1) Slide Remote
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mjgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
shrike4242

For anyone interested in the RT-N66U, Amazon has a white-colored version for $99, today only:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66W-Dual-B...dp/B00FK1E46U/

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Might want to stay away from any that feature the "green" functionality, which is seen in some newer residential switches not so much in home routers. That is a marketing gimmick to save on electrical use but that little feature can cause big headaches.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Might want to stay away from any that feature the "green" functionality, which is seen in some newer residential switches not so much in home routers. That is a marketing gimmick to save on electrical use but that little feature can cause big headaches.
There was an issue when the Roamio was first released when connecting to a green switch. But they corrected it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #24
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There was an issue when the Roamio was first released when connecting to a green switch. But they corrected it.
That's good, Tivo's ethernet issues aren't the only network devices that have had problems with them.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
mhalladay

Quote:
I also upgraded to the RT-AC66U version of this router last year, when I was having random network problems - most likely due to gradual addition of devices such as Onyko AV receiver, Roku, smartphone and tablets. My guess is that the older router was just choking on the level of throughput..

My Roamio, Mini, and old Series 3 HD are all hard-wired either directly to the RT-AC66U (or thru a Netgear 5-port gigabit switch), and I'm having no problems with either Tivos on the network or any other wired or wireless device.

Highly recommended.
mhalladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhalladay View Post

I also upgraded to the RT-AC66U version of this router last year, when I was having random network problems - most likely due to gradual addition of devices such as Onyko AV receiver, Roku, smartphone and tablets. My guess is that the older router was just choking on the level of throughput..

My Roamio, Mini, and old Series 3 HD are all hard-wired either directly to the RT-AC66U (or thru a Netgear 5-port gigabit switch), and I'm having no problems with either Tivos on the network or any other wired or wireless device.

Highly recommended.
+1
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
Loach

I'm thinking it may be time for me to upgrade to a new router. Not really for Tivo purposes as I'm mostly on MoCA, but more for general wireless usage in the house. My current router is a Netgear wireless G router - I honestly don't even remember how old it is - likely about 10 years. It works fine most of the time but firmware updates have ended and every once in a while it seems to hang (starts working fine again after a cold reboot).

My inclination would be to go with a new AC router, but I have 5.8 Ghz cordless phones throughout the house, so my question is whether those might interfere with the AC band. Does AC use a ~5 Ghz band? I'm thinking it might not be worth buying an AC router if it's just going to drop down and use the N band due to interference. Thoughts? Obviously been a long time since I shopped routers.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I'm thinking it may be time for me to upgrade to a new router. Not really for Tivo purposes as I'm mostly on MoCA, but more for general wireless usage in the house. My current router is a Netgear wireless G router - I honestly don't even remember how old it is - likely about 10 years. It works fine most of the time but firmware updates have ended and every once in a while it seems to hang (starts working fine again after a cold reboot).

My inclination would be to go with a new AC router, but I have 5.8 Ghz cordless phones throughout the house, so my question is whether those might interfere with the AC band. Does AC use a ~5 Ghz band? I'm thinking it might not be worth buying an AC router if it's just going to drop down and use the N band due to interference. Thoughts? Obviously been a long time since I shopped routers.
Check this out:

http://bradsfavorite.com/avoid-inter...rdless-phones/
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #29
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Helpful - thanks!
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #30
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post

What devices do you have that can even use AC wireless? Don't waste your money unless you have specific plans and needs for it. Just get a quality N router. Anything that isn't moving in the house like Tivo should be wired period.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote