TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
stinastina

Home theater, hdtv, hopper and tivo setup

We just got an RCA Home Theater system, nothing fancy, but of course, I need a class to set it up with everything else. I have an lg hdtv, a hopper and a premier that have been hooked up together just fine. If I want to watch the tivo (which I only use for digital local channels and netflix), I just switch the input.
I believe I have the tv and hopper directly connected via hdmi and then the tivo also connected to the tv via hdmi.

I connected the home theater to the tv via hdmi but the sound only comes through one speaker. I'm not sure what my next step is.
stinastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
HerronScott

You need to either connect all your devices to the RCA HTS and switch inputs on it or alternatively feed the audio from the TV back to the RCA HTS assuming the your TV has a digital audio output and the RCA has a digital audio input and then configure the TV's sound output to use that instead of the TV's speakers.

We just did the latter with an inexpensive Panasonic HTS and Vizio TV in our son's game room and it worked great. Our main TV setup is in the former manner with an Onkyo receiver and Panasonic plasma.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
stinastina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You need to either connect all your devices to the RCA HTS and switch inputs on it or alternatively feed the audio from the TV back to the RCA HTS assuming the your TV has a digital audio output and the RCA has a digital audio input and then configure the TV's sound output to use that instead of the TV's speakers.

We just did the latter with an inexpensive Panasonic HTS and Vizio TV in our son's game room and it worked great. Our main TV setup is in the former manner with an Onkyo receiver and Panasonic plasma.

Scott
Thanks. I have a few more questions - When you say digital audio input do you mean the optical cable ? I went to Best Buy and picked one up. After I plugged it into the tv & RCA HTS, we could hear sound from the tv from the hts. So I should turn the tv sound off ? I didn't see any options to change the tv sound except on or off.

Also, the HTS has to remain on and the only way I can adjust the volume is from the HTS remote. That's 3 remotes I have now - hopper, tivo and hts.
stinastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
HerronScott

On my son's Vizio there was a setting in the TV's audio menu for using either the digital audio out or the TV's speakers and when it was set to digital audio out, it disabled the sound from the TV's speakers. I would look for that otherwise turn the TV volume all the way down or mute it.

I bought my son a cheap programmable remote from Big Lots the other night which took care of the multi-remote for his TV, HTS and Blu-Ray player (including configuring a master sound option so the volume and mute work the HTS no matter which input is selected). I programmed it for the TiVo as well but I don't see it replacing that one.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote