TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
the-shogun

Tivo Roamio Basic & Mini (MOCA help)

Hey all. I am really loving my first TIVO and recently bought a mini. However, I am having the darndest time trying to set up a MOCA network. My Roamio basic is right next to my modem and router so I can do a wired connection with it. So my question is simple - do I need one adapter or two? If I only need one, how do I set it up so that I create a MOCA network and connect my TIVO mini? FYI, I already bought one adapter and did the set up in the manual.

- Wall outlet to coax in on adapter.
- TV out on adapter to modem.
- ethernet on adapter to router

It does not work when I do the above. The Roamio does not work either because the coax was taken out to attach the adapter to the modem. The COAX light is not a solid green on the adapter. Do I need two adapters or am i missing a step? Please explain it simple terms because I do not know the technical jargon.

Thanks in advance.
the-shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Only 1 adapter is needed for that setup. Sounds like you have it set up correctly.

When you say the Roamio doesn't work, you're referring to it's internet connection, right? (just making sure.)

Do you lose all internet connectivity when the moca adapter is attached? Sometimes a moca signal interferes with the cable modem. In which case, you may need to install a POE filter in between the adapter and modem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPC-MOCA-FIL...item27c63ca607
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
the-shogun

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess my issue has to do with the Roamio. Using the setup described above, there is no coax going to the roamio so it loses a signal. The only cords attached to the Roamio are the power cord, HDMI, and ethernet to router. Without the coax going to the Roamio, I am getting no cable tv.

The adapter is solid green for power and ethernet, but not the "COAX." I assume that all three need to be solid green. How do I know MOCA is correctly installed? i thought if i go to "settings" and "network," a new MOCA category pops up. Is that the case? Again, thanks for the help BigJim

I
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The Roamio needs a coax line of its own.

In this case you can try adding a splitter. One leg going to the adapter/modem/router (as it is setup above). The other leg going to the Roamio itself.

Let's get the Roamio running first. If the mini is not installed and setup yet, the moca light might not come on until it is.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
the-shogun

Thanks. I guess it was obvious that no coax equals no cable, but I thought somehow the ethenet could be the conduit for cable via the adapter. Pretty silly of me.

In my trial and error, I did use a splitter but the MOCA light wasn't lit and no MOCA category popped up in settings. I will try again tonight. Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-shogun View Post
Thanks. I guess it was obvious that no coax equals no cable, but I thought somehow the ethenet could be the conduit for cable via the adapter. Pretty silly of me.

In my trial and error, I did use a splitter but the MOCA light wasn't lit and no MOCA category popped up in settings. I will try again tonight. Thanks
The MoCA adapter is there to create the MoCA network within your home's coaxial wiring. The Basic can only use Ethernet (or wireless), and should be good since you've got it plugged directly into the router via Ethernet. There are no MoCA settings/menus on the Roamio Basic.

I never payed much attention to the Coaxial lights when I set my network up using two adapters. The Coaxial light may not light up until there is another device to communicate with the adapter over MoCA. With the setup as hashed-out above, you should be able to hook-up the Mini in another room. Simply connect it to a coax outlet, and then finish the network settings on the Mini, choosing to use MoCA, of course.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Roamio basic does not have MoCa builtin.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
the-shogun

Thanks to BigJim and tatergator! I have success using my Roamio basic with my Mini via MOCA. I will now start perusing the many threads on these boards. Loving my TIVO!