TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
garcjny

Auto deleting

Hope I'm in the right place. I have a Tivo premiere and have had the Tivo service over 10 years. I've spent hours with Tivo support and they have no answers (they keep saying they are looking into it). Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

About three weeks ago most of my recordings just automatically deleted themselves. I checked the history and it says the items are being deleted because of space needed. But the machine says I only used 20%. I deleted everything on the Tivo and removed all future recordings then recorded some items again and they were auto deleted (again saying because of needed space. There are no season recordings.

I re-booted, checked signals, cleaned everything out and still I have this issue. very frustrating.

Any ideas or suggestions.
garcjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

90% of all items being deleted automatically is because folks are using KUID (Keep Until I Delete) when not needed in Season Passes, there is no need to use KUID in SP's.

Do you have a lot of KUID Season passes or Wishlists? I know you say you don't, but triple check.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
garcjny

Quadruple checked. I have never used season passes and have deleted all future recordings. Then I went back and recorded a few things, making sure they did not have KUID. They were still deleted overnight.
garcjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

There was a bug that did this somewhere in the past, but if I remember correctly a C&DE resolved it, but that's a big step to have to do. but I really don't have much more to add, sorry...
Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcjny View Post
Hope I'm in the right place. I have a Tivo premiere and have had the Tivo service over 10 years. I've spent hours with Tivo support and they have no answers (they keep saying they are looking into it). Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

About three weeks ago most of my recordings just automatically deleted themselves. I checked the history and it says the items are being deleted because of space needed. But the machine says I only used 20%. I deleted everything on the Tivo and removed all future recordings then recorded some items again and they were auto deleted (again saying because of needed space. There are no season recordings.

I re-booted, checked signals, cleaned everything out and still I have this issue. very frustrating.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Near the bottom of your Now Playing list is the Recently Deleted folder.

You need to go into that folder and manually, one at a time, permanently delete the shows in there that you are truly finished with.

(hit the clear button on the bottom left side of the remote, and then the Select button, to save a step or two)

It seems that a TiVo will happily delete recordings, even if they're only a few hours old, in order to avoid permanently deleting anything in the RD folder, so you have to clean out the RD folder yourself.

Only if you have everything in the main part of the Now Playing list marked KUID will it delete stuff from the RD folder.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

What?! You should not need to delete your recently deleted. I believe that dianebrat nailed it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What?! You should not need to delete your recently deleted. I believe that dianebrat nailed it.
The world is full of things which someone or the other thinks should not be, and yet they are, just the same.

I'm merely relating how I have found things to be.

I never said I liked it that way.

It would be interesting to see just how full the OP's RD folder is.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
rn701

Where'd my stuff go?

Just went to watch something recorded a couple of days ago. It shouldn't have been expired.

It was missing. Then I noticed I was only using 15% space, when it usually runs 90%.

I also noticed that all my "Keep until I delete" recordings were gone. Including one from last week of a TV news spot I was interviewed on, another local TV talk show I was on, and a TV news spot my wife was on from a while back.

Nothing in the "recently deleted" folder.

WTF?

In fact, everything was gone except for the last couple of days of recordings.

Things usually scroll off in an orderly fashion without any manual intervention, leaving recent things and things I wanted to keep.

My relatively new Tivo Premiere mysteriously rebooted itself recently, maybe in the last couple of days. Wonder if that's when it happened?

Anyway, WTF?

Totally unacceptable.

(Spare me the excuses from Tivo apologists and shills. I am royally pissed. Oh well, life goes on. First world problems, etc.)
rn701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
justen_m

unitron, I've never seen the behavior you've described. By any chance, do you have suggestions turned OFF? I have them turned on. My recently deleted folder is usually nearly empty, because suggestions will bump things out if it. My recordings will bump things out of suggestions. I have _never_ permanently deleted anything from my deleted items folder, but it is usually empty. When I delete shows, they might last a day or two in the deleted items folder before they are gone. I've got a Tivo HD, with a 1TB drive, but the behavior is the same on my S2DT too.

I have never turned suggestions OFF. I have a few shows that are KUID, but none of my season passes.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
TishTash

When space is low, TiVo will start automatically deleting the oldest recordings by first changing their DELETE status from "as space is needed" to "deleted within 3" then "1 day." This is even before Suggestions are deleted. (I always thought Suggestions would go before any manual recordings, but apparently the two are somewhat independent.) I had plenty of space left but lost a couple of early recordings for what seems like this reason. Perhaps you're situation is this gone haywire, where it believes it's coming close to the end of space available? Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
unitron, I've never seen the behavior you've described. By any chance, do you have suggestions turned OFF? I have them turned on. My recently deleted folder is usually nearly empty, because suggestions will bump things out if it. My recordings will bump things out of suggestions. I have _never_ permanently deleted anything from my deleted items folder, but it is usually empty. When I delete shows, they might last a day or two in the deleted items folder before they are gone. I've got a Tivo HD, with a 1TB drive, but the behavior is the same on my S2DT too.

I have never turned suggestions OFF. I have a few shows that are KUID, but none of my season passes.
I never have suggestions turned on.

Ever.

(unless it's a unit I just got and I haven't gotten around to turning them off yet)

And I don't use the thumb rating system.

And if I had my way there would be a way to make KUID the default setting for those of us who want it that way, so that you can just hit record and be done with it.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
franco2000

I did everything everyone suggested here. I deleted all recordings. I then recorded a few things and they were automatically deleted again. I checked the histories and they said, "deleted because of space." The machine says only 15% used. There are no season recordings. I have no suggestions.

Here's what I think. I have spent a few hours with tech help on this. I believe it is a software issue, one which they can not solve. I suggested that I simply send the machine back and was told I could not do that because there is nothing technically wrong with the machine. I got the feeling they uploaded some software and it screwed up the machine.

I have been a loyal customer of Tivo for 12 years (one of the original investors). I have never had problems before. It's sort of startling to me to have such a bad customer experience but as I said I never had reason to call them before.

very disappointing. Once again considering getting a DVR from my cable company.
franco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Clear and Delete Everything resolved this on my Premiere when I had an issue just like this.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco2000 View Post
I did everything everyone suggested here. I deleted all recordings. I then recorded a few things and they were automatically deleted again. I checked the histories and they said, "deleted because of space." The machine says only 15% used. There are no season recordings. I have no suggestions.

Here's what I think. I have spent a few hours with tech help on this. I believe it is a software issue, one which they can not solve. I suggested that I simply send the machine back and was told I could not do that because there is nothing technically wrong with the machine. I got the feeling they uploaded some software and it screwed up the machine.

I have been a loyal customer of Tivo for 12 years (one of the original investors). I have never had problems before. It's sort of startling to me to have such a bad customer experience but as I said I never had reason to call them before.

very disappointing. Once again considering getting a DVR from my cable company.
Go into System Info and see how much space it says you have total (that's the figure that's supposed to increase if you put in a bigger hard drive).

Maybe something's tricked it into thinking the drive is much smaller than it actually is.