TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
jeffw_00

I scheduled a recording online, received confirmation(!), but it wasn't scheduled ???

Hi - I have a TiVoHD DVR on a wired network. Signal strength is fine (99/100). I'm on FiOS, and never any network issues (we run a business at home so would notice if network was down).

On 1/30 (2 days before the event) I used the web interface to schedule a recording of the superbowl. I received the two Emails (request received, recording confirmed), but in fact nothing was ever scheduled on my TiVo. At 6:40 on Sunday, neither tuner was recording, and nothing was mentioned in the ToDo list or recording history, and there was nothing in the Messages list. In the previous week I had scheduled 2 other recordings in the same manner successfully (i.e., they WE'RE on the Todo list and there WAS a message).

I contacted TiVo by chat, and all they could do is scratch their head, and suggest that if I tried it again and it worked, then it was fixed. Oddly, they had no way (or no interest in) tracing the request through their servers.

Point is, if you can't trust the confirmation Email, what good is the online interface?

I was wondering if others had experienced this - or if there was a resolution/workaround?

Thanks!
/j

Last edited by jeffw_00 : 02-03-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: noted I gave it a 2 day window
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
lessd

I have used the TiVo web schedule many times without any problems, when I do use it I have left at least 2 hours window.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
I was wondering if others had experienced this - or if there was a resolution/workaround?

Thanks!
/j
What you do when a recording is important to you is you check your your TDL to make sure it was scheduled especially when you get the email confirmation but not a message on the Tivo stating that the recording has been scheduled.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
jeffw_00

Ok - Thanks! But that's disappointing. I had assumed that after I received the 2ND message (confirming the programming) that I was good. If I have to write myself a note to remember to check the TiVo to be sure, then, well, I might as well just write a note to program the TiVo when I get home. I guess that demotes remote scheduling to "last resort when you can't get to the TiVo in time, and hope for the best". :-(

/j
Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The older HD units used a IRC type protocol to communicate between the servers and the website, it was never very reliable. Although I agree that if you got the confirmation it should have worked.

If you upgrade to a Premiere or Roamio you could use the iOS or Android app to schedule a recording instead. It's more like a direct connection to the TiVo so the show is scheduled immediately and you can even check your To Do list right in the app.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
jeffw_00

oh my - Hi Dan203! I remember you! (I was much more active in this forum, like, a decade ago 8-}). I appreciate the explanation, and a call-back from a supervisor said essentially the same thing (there's no actual "handshake' from the TiVo so you can't totally trust the comfirmation messages). I'll keep your suggestion in mind, but for now I think I'll just write myself notes.

best!
/j
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Roamio is awesome! I highly recommend upgrading if you can swing the cost.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote