TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

How do you use roamio to feed internet to other devices?

I will be connecting roamio pro to network via moca. Can I connect my 5 port switch to the roamios Ethernet connection? Is it as simple as that? Do I need to tweak any settings?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Set it up as MoCA first, then add the switch to the ethernet output and you should be fine.
I feed mine to a 10 port GB switch in the media cabinet to get me connectivity without an RJ45 to the cabinet
Old 02-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

I do the same thing: 8-port gigabit switch connected to Roamio Pro in the media cabinet. Once connected, your Network screen will show MoCA+Ethernet.

Of course, this requires that you have a MoCA adapter elsewhere on your network connected to your internet router.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I feed mine to a 10 port GB switch
Wow! I only have a Gb switch.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Wow! I only have a Gb switch.
slow on the shift key release.. either that or I have the fastest transfers out there
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have an 8 port Gb switch connected to mine then MoCa from living room to office where I have a MoCa adapter that connects to another Gb switch which then connects to my router.

The one thing to beware of if that while MoCa is technically capable of 230Mbps the Actiontec adapaters only have 10/100 Ethernet ports, so you'll never get more then about 90Mbps with this setup. If you buy a Verizon router with built in MoCa then those have 10/100/1000 ports and you can actually get full speed.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
shrike4242

If you have other devices you'd want to connect over the MoCA network, then you can connect a switch to the Ethernet port on the Roamio and have other devices use it as a bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The one thing to beware of if that while MoCa is technically capable of 230Mbps the Actiontec adapaters only have 10/100 Ethernet ports, so you'll never get more then about 90Mbps with this setup. If you buy a Verizon router with built in MoCa then those have 10/100/1000 ports and you can actually get full speed.
I did not know that little tidbit about the Verizon routers having GigE. Is that somewhat new or have they always been that way?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
If you have other devices you'd want to connect over the MoCA network, then you can connect a switch to the Ethernet port on the Roamio and have other devices use it as a bridge.

I did not know that little tidbit about the Verizon routers having GigE. Is that somewhat new or have they always been that way?
The GigE is the newest revision of the ActionTec with n'wireless, the older ActionTec is still 10/100.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The GigE is the newest revision of the ActionTec with n'wireless, the older ActionTec is still 10/100.
I'll have to track down one of those for my RT-N66U router, since it's using an ECB2500 adapter connected on one of the GigE ports. The two Roamio Pro units at home are using the integrated MoCA adapters while the Premiere XL/XL4 units are using ECB2500s as well.

The Premieres should be stuck at 10/100 Ethernet no matter what, so they shouldn't need a swap, though the one at the router should need the upgrade to one of the ActionTec routers for the GigE ports.

What's the model of the newest one, if you happen to know it?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is the one sold to the public with Gb ports...

http://www.shopactiontec.com/wcb3000n.html

There are also some of these on eBay from VZ customers who switched providers.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
shrike4242

Quote:
This is the one sold to the public with Gb ports...

http://www.shopactiontec.com/wcb3000n.html

There are also some of these on eBay from VZ customers who switched providers.
ActionTec directly seems to be the best option for that, as it seems to be about $111 shipped, where as eBay sellers are in the $130+ range, some with a ECB2500V and some without.

I guess directly to ActionTec seems like the best option, though it would only work for Tivo units with an integrated MoCA adapter like the Roamio Plus / Pro, since everyone else is 10/100 Ethernet only. That should make Romaio Pro to Pro transfers as quick as they get, though I can't see them making non-Roamio Pro transfers much quicker since they're Ethernet-speed limited.

Thanks for the pointer.

Former:
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
it would only work for Tivo units with an integrated MoCA adapter like the Roamio Plus / Pro, since everyone else is 10/100 Ethernet only. That should make Romaio Pro to Pro transfers as quick as they get, though I can't see them making non-Roamio Pro transfers much quicker since they're Ethernet-speed limited.
The Ethernet port on the Roamio Plus/Pro is gigabit, so if you connect a gigabit switch to it then all your devices connected to that switch should also connect at full speed over MoCa
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
shrike4242

Quote:
The Ethernet port on the Roamio Plus/Pro is gigabit, so if you connect a gigabit switch to it then all your devices connected to that switch should also connect at full speed over MoCa
I don't have anything behind my Roamio Pro units for the MoCA/Ethernet bridge, as I try to keep everything off of the MoCA network that isn't a Tivo.

Former:
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

So you're bridging the other way? TiVo is connected to Ethernet network and the MoCa is only used for Minis?

The OP was talking about a solution where multiple devices in his A/V cabinet were connected to an Ethernet switch, which was then connected to the TiVo, which then bridged to MoCa, then bridged back to Ethernet in another location using a MoCa adapter and finally connected to his router. In that case all the devices in his A/V cabinet would be using MoCa and would be limited by the MoCa adapter connected to his router. If he used the cheap Actiontec one then it only has a 10/100 Ethernet port so no matter what the TiVo and all devices in his A/V cabinet would be limited to 10/100. However if he used that more expensive Actiontec with gigabit Ethernet then they would be limited to the maximum throughput of the MoCa network which I believe is about 230Mbps. So not full gigabit, but faster then 10/100.