TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Thom

Sherlock series 3, better or worse than series 1 and 2 ?

I'm not enjoying series 3 of Sherlock as much as series 1 and 2. The episodes seemed more confusing in spots, and more jerky/jumping around in their presentation.

I like where the characters arrived at, but didn't enjoy watching the journey. I know this is vague, and may not make much sense, but I can't quite put it into words.

If I remember correctly, even the wedding episode (which I liked) had something off-putting in its makeup, something I don't remember from episodes in series 1 or 2.

What's the opinion of the Sherlock fans here?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I loved it. I like different and I thought the final episode was sublime - some of the best TV I've seen in a looooooong time.

In fact, my wife refused to watch anything else that night because it couldn'at match up to the quality of that installment.

To each his own, I guess.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I didn't enjoy series 3 all that much. It felt weird to me.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I enjoyed it, although I am partial to the Moriarty story line from previous seasons. He was great every time he was on screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
bdmarine

I have to agree with Thom here. I almost cancelled the series after the first episode of this season. It did jump around and as soon as you had time to get comfortable with a particular scene or plot line, another one would pop in. The wedding episode was a bit more cohesive, so I will hang in there.
bdmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
TonyD79

Haven't watched the last show yet but I'm enjoying it. I like quirky story telling as long as it is coherent. I prefer stories that don't rely on a single bad guy.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Still catching up on season 3, but I found the 2nd episode of seasons 1 and 2 really, really bad. Just surprisingly terrible and not even worthy of inclusion in the series. I've been hoping that, at worst, season 3 holds true to form and has great 1st and 3rd episodes and a terrible 2nd.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I didn't care for season 3 at all. Very disappointing.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Still catching up on season 3, but I found the 2nd episode of seasons 1 and 2 really, really bad. Just surprisingly terrible and not even worthy of inclusion in the series. I've been hoping that, at worst, season 3 holds true to form and has great 1st and 3rd episodes and a terrible 2nd.
Episode 2 of Season 2 was Hound of the Baskerville. I hated that episode. Loved the other 2 episodes that season though.

Hmm, I have not liked at least 4 of the total 9 Sherlock episodes made. I don't remember what episode 2 of season 1 was even about. Maybe I didn't like it either??
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
JMikeD

I've been very disappointed by series 3. The only thing I liked about S3E1 was Watson beating up Holmes and I kept losing interest in S3E2 and wandering off to do household chores. Episode 3 was doing OK until the reveal at the end, which ruined the entire episode for me.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
john4200

The 3rd season was terrible. I guess the writers only had a few good story ideas in them, which they used up in the first 6 episodes. I suspect that is part of the reason that Season 3 took so long. They were trying to think of good story ideas, but could not. Then they finally just decided to go for it anyway.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The 3rd season was terrible. I guess the writers only had a few good story ideas in them, which they used up in the first 6 episodes. I suspect that is part of the reason that Season 3 took so long. They were trying to think of good story ideas, but could not. Then they finally just decided to go for it anyway.
It took so long because they had trouble getting the stars together. Benedict cumberbatch is as busy as Michael Caine in his prime and then there was this little thing called the Hobbit.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
It took so long because they had trouble getting the stars together. Benedict cumberbatch is as busy as Michael Caine in his prime and then there was this little thing called the Hobbit.
Well, it apparently was not enough time for the writers to come up with any good story ideas.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Episode 2 of Season 2 was Hound of the Baskerville. I hated that episode. Loved the other 2 episodes that season though.

Hmm, I have not liked at least 4 of the total 9 Sherlock episodes made. I don't remember what episode 2 of season 1 was even about. Maybe I didn't like it either??
It was the chinese smuggling ring episode. Before I knew Sherlock was only 3 episodes per season, I watched that episode and immediately gave up on the entire series and figured episode 1 was a fluke.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
S1E2 is universally loathed as far as I can tell.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:
Well, it apparently was not enough time for the writers to come up with any good story ideas.
Yes because they can't read Doyle's material and use it.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I thought Series 3 was well done, and overall more consistent than Series 2, but neither really could top the amazing 1st series.

However it does get tiring that some folks not only complain, but then continue complaining, a bit more and it very quickly turns into thread crapping.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
However it does get tiring that some folks not only complain, but then continue complaining, a bit more and it very quickly turns into thread crapping.
Considering that this thread is explicitly asking for opinions on the 3rd season, who is "thread crapping" now, hmmm, Diane?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
TomK

Any Sherlock episode has been so far beyond any other episode from another show, they've all been of the highest quality with the writing and the acting. Season 3 has been a great follow on to seasons 1 and 2.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Any Sherlock episode has been so far beyond any other episode from another show, they've all been of the highest quality with the writing and the acting. Season 3 has been a great follow on to seasons 1 and 2.
S1E2 was worse than Sharknado.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
ADG
Allan

Quote:
I assume you mean in your opinion. In my opinion, all three episodes were unique and excellent in both story line and presentation. I thought it was the best of the three seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I did not enjoy series 3 at all.
Watching episode 1 I kept thinking maybe it'll get better as they wrap it up.
and then I changed that to maybe the next one will be better.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #23
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Considering that this thread is explicitly asking for opinions on the 3rd season, who is "thread crapping" now, hmmm, Diane?
wow that's uncalled for, offering thoughts is cool, positive or negative, but to to just come back with a 2nd post to say
Quote:
Yeah, it's on the way to threadcrapping when the posts continue along that path, opinion thread or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
Agatha Mystery

I've enjoyed Sherlock, all 3 seasons. I've always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes stories. It's fun watching how Cumberbatch plays him. Watson is not a cookie cutter character that's always been in books. He's less of a cardboard cut out and more of a foil. Holmes is extremely smart, and yet, he needs Watson, rather than just using Watson to prove how smart he is.

Mycroft has been fun. I liked how they made you think that he was Moriarty in the first episode.

For the current series, I've been pausing the show at points when Sherlock has been gathering information about each person, with all of the words. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

As far as quality from series to series, I think the first series was a surprise to many, and how the second series ended made everyone take notice. The quality of the show is the same, but people become inured to a character, and it no longer takes them by surprise. Sherlock has always been a bit of a surprise. Now that we all know how he operates, people are a bit let down when he continues to operate in the same way. It's hard to keep that fresh. And because it isn't fresh, it seems like it isn't as good.

Sherlock has been written in the same fashion in the 3 series. Sherlock is not always a likeable character. It's only his relationship with Watson that makes him more human, more approachable, redeemable.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I assume you mean in your opinion.
You assume wrong. Obviously I meant someone else's opinion.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #26
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
wow that's uncalled for...
Your comment certainly was uncalled for. I don't know why you went and thread crappped.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
Mycroft has been fun. I liked how they made you think that he was Moriarty in the first episode.
I was totally fooled and enjoyed it. But it is a reminder that people who are familiar with the original novels can get more out of the show. As for the new Doctor Watson returning home after being injured in active service in Afghanistan more than 100 years after the original Watson did the same thing....

I think the sequence of Mary shooting Sherlock is probably going to be my television moment of the year.
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #28
T-Wolves
Information Junkie

I thought the first 2 episodes of season 3 were among the series' best -- absolutely loved the wedding episode. I just watched the final episode, and didn't like it nearly as much as the first 2. Season 4 should be interesting and fun to see how
Spoiler:
Moriarty faked his own death at the same time as Sherlock was faking his own death.

T-Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
hairyblue
A good Man

I didn't like season 3 as much. I really didn't care for how the season finale was resolved. I'd have been happier with Sherlock out smarting the guy. Sherlock didn't handle it like Sherlock.

I think introducing Mary and having Watson married was a big mistake. The show worked with Watson and Sherlock interacting. I'm not sure if they can get that back. Did the show Jump the Shark already? I hope not.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

I enjoyed season 3 but I don't think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. One thing I absolutely, positively loathed was
Spoiler:
Sherlock Holmes as a cold blooded murderer. Maybe that's from the books but I never read any of them.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote