TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question channels not tuning in

I was having random channel tuning issues with a Series 3 HD unit (model #TCD652160) in a basement bedroom. I tried another identical Series 3 unit in this room and had the same problem. I called Comcast to have the cable card repaired (both units), but still had the issues. Since they are older Series 3s, I thought it was the TiVos themselves and even at one point thought it was the cable card firmware.

I saw some post here about cable card firmware and how getting the firmware updated fixed the problem, but these were issues mainly in FL & I am in GA. I called and tried to get Comcast to "upgrade" the firmware, but they told me this was not available for me & their engineers said it wasn't the problem.

Recently, I got a discounted 2-tuner Premiere and stuck it in this bedroom instead thinking these random tuning issues would go away. Nope and still had them. Another thing too is the old Series 3 TiVos were moved to the basement rec room and work fine on another outlet so it made me then think there is an issue with that room and its outlet.

The only thing I can think of is there is a Comcast installed amplifier in this room that is needed for the entire house and our Comcast internet. Its the only factor that is different from the other 4 perfectly working TiVos (Series 3 and 4s). Here is a picture of the Comcast installed amplifier.

As you can see from the pics, one coax end goes to the TiVo Premiere in that room. The other end of the splitter then essentially goes back outside to the Comcast coax distributor for the other TiVos (and is amplified this way)

Does this sound like its probably the issue? If so, I have to figure out where Comcast can maybe install this AND not affect other TiVos in my house (currently 3 other live TiVo outlets)
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

That's actually not the amplifier. That is just the power inserter that feeds power to the amplifier. If you think the power inserter is causing interference (and it may be), you can test it by moving it to a different coax outlet in your house. But if you do this, you will also have to go outside your house to where the amp is and change the cables around coming out of the amp. Usually only 1 outlet on the amp will accept power insertion.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-03-2014 at 10:34 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
That's actually not the amplifier. That is just the power inserter that feeds power to the amplifier. If you think the power inserter is causing interference (and it may be), you can test it by moving it to a different coax outlet in your house. But if you do this, you will also have to go outside your house to where the amp is and change the cables around coming out of the amp. Usually only 1 outlet on the amp will accept power insertion.
OK, makes sense and maybe I will take a stab at it (instead of messing with Comcast coming out). Seems like a simple thing to try & I do actually have one room that doesn't have a TiVo in it, but does have a new coaxial line. This line contains JUST my cable modem so maybe that is a better location to have it on....provided this power insterter will not affect a DOCSIS3 Motorola cable modem. Will see.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 02-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
OK, makes sense and maybe I will take a stab at it (instead of messing with Comcast coming out). Seems like a simple thing to try & I do actually have one room that doesn't have a TiVo in it, but does have a new coaxial line. This line contains JUST my cable modem so maybe that is a better location to have it on....provided this power insterter will not affect a DOCSIS3 Motorola cable modem. Will see.
It's fairly straightforward and you should be able to do this yourself. Most amps have the output port that accepts power insertion well labeled on the amp itself, and it's usually always "port 1" that accepts power. Just make sure that whatever cable outlet you move the power inserter to is also moved to the power-accepting output port (usually "port 1") on the amp.

Most drop amps also have a separate port on them just for power that is completely separate from the video output ports. If you do find that the power inserter interferes with both the TiVo and the modem and you have no other coax outlets in your house to use the power inserter on, you could always run a new coax cable from a power outlet directly to the amp. This would eliminate the need for a power inserter.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote