TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
JerryAC

Tivo Screen resolution changes

My Tivo Premiere started changing screen resolution about 6 weeks ago. I compare it to my old Windows XP screen when the resoultion decreases causing all of the characters to look larger than they normally would. Like 600 x 800, etc.

Only about half of the normal high def image is view-able. I have to reset the box to correct the problem. If I didn't know to press the thumbs down 3x, then press the enter button to reset, I would be stuck. As I cant see that part of the instructions on the low resolution screen.

I have had to reset 2x tonight watching the superbowl. The screen only shows the left half of the field. The right half of the field is out of the picture.

Thanks for suggestions.
JerryAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryAC View Post
My Tivo Premiere started changing screen resolution about 6 weeks ago. I compare it to my old Windows XP screen when the resoultion decreases causing all of the characters to look larger than they normally would. Like 600 x 800, etc.

Only about half of the normal high def image is view-able. I have to reset the box to correct the problem. If I didn't know to press the thumbs down 3x, then press the enter button to reset, I would be stuck. As I cant see that part of the instructions on the low resolution screen.

I have had to reset 2x tonight watching the superbowl. The screen only shows the left half of the field. The right half of the field is out of the picture.

Thanks for suggestions.
See if the Zoom button does anything to help. And check for zoom settings on your TV.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryAC View Post

Thanks for suggestions.
If you go into Settings->Video-> Output Format and set it to only the highest resolution you TV can display then you won't see any flicker and most issues with chasing resolutions go away. I keep mine on [1080I, 1080p]
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
JerryAC

Screen resolution changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
If you go into Settings->Video-> Output Format and set it to only the highest resolution you TV can display then you won't see any flicker and most issues with chasing resolutions go away. I keep mine on [1080I, 1080p]
I did this right after posting my question. I found the setting by accident, as I was scrolling through the menus. I have not experienced any problems since.

I had another thought concerning my antenna signal. Digital signals can get weaker with the weather conditions, and also my antenna has been installed for about two years, so connections could be a little corroded. Could this be a problem? I know the digital signal tends to be good or bad, not in between like the old analog antennas provided.

This Tivo box is in the room the greatest distance from the signal source. About 125 ft of cabling from the outside mast.

I have a UHF panel antenna http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Di.../cm-4228hd.htm, plus a small VHF antenna to pickup our channel 10 http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-Y...ref=pd_sim_e_4. I have both feeding into a Channel Master pre-amplifier on the mast http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV..._p/cm-7777.htm.

I noticed a few months ago when this first started, the receiver would get some popping feed back in the sound right before the screen resolution changed. I don't watch this Tivo box much anymore as we have the top 120 Dish programming. I use it to DVR some local OTA channel programming.

Thanks for your help
JerryAC is offline   Reply With Quote