TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
jaynyc

Off or sleep button

Hi. Does the Mini have an Off or Sleep button? My iScan Duo video processor is set for input auto-sensing and I need to be able to "switch away" from the Mini to view another source (like Chromecast).
jaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
yukit

I just got a Mini hooked up to a PC monitor through a component cable.
This is just a temporary setup until I figure out what TV to get for the room, but I noticed that the monitor does not go into the off mode when I put the Mini in standby.

So if there is a trick to put the video out off in standby, I appreciate it.

The monitor does not have a remote, but I could get a remote-controllable outlet to hook up the monitor like a WeMo. It is overkill though.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
jaynyc

How do you put the Mini in standby?
jaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
How do you put the Mini in standby?
Settings & messages/standby
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
I just got a Mini hooked up to a PC monitor through a component cable.
This is just a temporary setup until I figure out what TV to get for the room, but I noticed that the monitor does not go into the off mode when I put the Mini in standby.

So if there is a trick to put the video out off in standby, I appreciate it.

The monitor does not have a remote, but I could get a remote-controllable outlet to hook up the monitor like a WeMo. It is overkill though.
Hmmm, through Hdmi, when I pick standby, you get the 'press the tivo button' message for like 2 seconds and then I get a 'no signal' message from my tv. Any chance the monitor either doesn't auto-off, or maybe there's a setting on it that needs adjustment?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Hmmm, through Hdmi, when I pick standby, you get the 'press the tivo button' message for like 2 seconds and then I get a 'no signal' message from my tv. Any chance the monitor either doesn't auto-off, or maybe there's a setting on it that needs adjustment?
I was thinking this maybe specific to the analog output issue (I am not using HDMI out of the Mini) If I turn off (unplug) Mini or switch the input to DVI or VGA, the monitor will show "no signal" then go into sleep.

It is also possible that the monitor is faulty, but it is not a big deal since this is a temporary arrangement.

I discovered that my ethernet with powerline may not be good enough for HD live TV feed as discussed in another thread. I probably need to look into MoCa hookup by putting a new coax feed in the room.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 02-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
I was thinking this maybe specific to the analog output issue (I am not using HDMI out of the Mini) If I turn off (unplug) Mini or switch the input to DVI or VGA, the monitor will show "no signal" then go into sleep.

It is also possible that the monitor is faulty, but it is not a big deal since this is a temporary arrangement.

I discovered that my ethernet with powerline may not be good enough for HD live TV feed as discussed in another thread. I probably need to look into MoCa hookup by putting a new coax feed in the room.
Are you using the DVI input for another device? If not and if the monitor supports dvi-D, you could use an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter. The adaptors start are under $3 at monoprice, the cables are like $5.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Are you using the DVI input for another device? If not and if the monitor supports dvi-D, you could use an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter. The adaptors start are under $3 at monoprice, the cables are like $5.
Mini is the only device connected to the monitor. HDMI to DVI is an option I didn't consider, but I actually do that with my Mac-mini. I may give that a try to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
yukit

Quote:
Mini is the only device connected to the monitor. HDMI to DVI is an option I didn't consider, but I actually do that with my Mac-mini. I may give that a try to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks.
Sorry for high-jacking the thread, but my problem turned out to the the component video cable that prevents the PC monitor to go to sleep on Tivo standby.

When I switched to using HDMI output to DVI converter, the monitor sleep is working fine as expected. I still need to use analog audio cable with this setup obviously, but I now have a functioning Mini with a temporary PC monitor.

I just have to watch everything in SD to avoid the HD stuttering. I need to fix this before I bring my 50" TV in the room.
XL 658
S2 540