TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
slimjim867

Error 1327 Invalid Drive solution

I have used Desktop Plus and TTG successfully for several years on my WinXP box. I keep my video files on an external drive which may have been the source of the error. I just set up a new Win8.1 box and upon trying to install Desktop Plus, I get the error. Tivo CS is only aware that there are problems with the program when uised with Win8. They tried to troubleshoot but ultimately told me to reach out to MS. (yeah, right).
I found a couple of posts on the interweb. One person changed the drive letter of the target drive to what DTP was looking for....installed DTP and then changed the drive letter back. That did not work for me so I followed another suggestion which i will paste bellow. I want to point out that DTP only installed the second time that i tried to install it. Dunno why.
If you are migrating to Win8 you will need a patch file that Tivo tech will supply to you, Here is the registry method that i used.

>>Open regedit and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software for any entries related to that program and delete them if found.

Now look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and do the same.<<
slimjim867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim867 View Post
I have used Desktop Plus and TTG successfully for several years on my WinXP box. I keep my video files on an external drive which may have been the source of the error. I just set up a new Win8.1 box and upon trying to install Desktop Plus, I get the error. Tivo CS is only aware that there are problems with the program when uised with Win8. They tried to troubleshoot but ultimately told me to reach out to MS. (yeah, right).
I found a couple of posts on the interweb. One person changed the drive letter of the target drive to what DTP was looking for....installed DTP and then changed the drive letter back. That did not work for me so I followed another suggestion which i will paste bellow. I want to point out that DTP only installed the second time that i tried to install it. Dunno why.
If you are migrating to Win8 you will need a patch file that Tivo tech will supply to you, Here is the registry method that i used.

>>Open regedit and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software for any entries related to that program and delete them if found.

Now look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and do the same.<<

If Plus works pretty much the same as the free version of TiVo Desktop, it wants a folder called My TiVo Recordings into which to copy shows which you "transfer" and when it shows your TiVo(s) the shows which can be "transferred" back, it only shows the ones in the MTR folder.

But there's a way around that seeming limitation.

Put "shortcuts" in the MTR folder that point to folders on other partitions or other drives in the PC or on NAS-type devices.

My Buffalo LinkStation Pro only has room for one drive (not sure how big a one I can get away with), so I don't use it for TiVo storage, but I can.

TiVo Desktop won't let me put the MTR folder on it--it has to be on a hard drive connected to the PC running Desktop, but I can put a shortcut to the LinkStation in the MTR folder and shows on the LinkStation are visible in the folder corresponding to the PC in the TiVo's Now Playing list.

You can have folders inside folders inside folders, etc., in the PC folder in the Now Playing list, so that you can have shortcuts in the MTR folder for several drives and have those drives subdivided by network or channel and then show title and then individual episodes, or whatever other organizational scheme you want to use, like all sports in one place, all cop shows in another, etc.

The annoyance is that Desktop copies to the MTR folder itself, so you have to move shows from there, once copied, to the other partitons or drives.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote