TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Bad System Board?

I have a TCD652160 which, when I plug it in, the green power light on the front blinks about twice a second. This looks to me like a bad component on the system board that is shorted and causing the power supply to shut down.

I swapped in a power supply from another TCD652160 and the behavior is the same. I also removed the CableCARD, unplugged all USB and network connections and even unplugged the drive. The behavior is the same.

With the drive connected, I can hear it spin up but I can detect no seeking sounds. There is no video output via component video. The fan does not spin up.

There are no signs of damaged/smoked components on the system board and no smoke smell, but I still suspect some component is shorted and shutting down the power supply.

Since this is a Lifetime subscribed machine, I'd really like to get it going again.

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Always suspect the hard drive before the mother board, and the power supply first. Replace it and see if works then . You'll have to go through the set up again and it will erase any TV shows on the replacement hard drive.
TCD652160 are cheap on ebay or you might be able to get one on craigslist to get a hard drive off of. If you are good with computers you might be able to grab a spare hard drive that you have laying around and put the TiVo software on it and use it. I have never done that myself, but they talk about it a lot on this forum.

Last edited by replaytv : 02-01-2014 at 09:10 PM.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The TiVo HD should display something on the screen, even with a bad hard drive. (This is not the case with a Premiere.)

What happens if you take the power supply and hard drive from the bad TiVo and use them with the known-good HD motherboard? If that boots up then you know your problem is the board in the suspect TiVo. You don't have to wipe the drive in order to test this.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The TiVo HD should display something on the screen, even with a bad hard drive. (This is not the case with a Premiere.)

What happens if you take the power supply and hard drive from the bad TiVo and use them with the known-good HD motherboard? If that boots up then you know your problem is the board in the suspect TiVo. You don't have to wipe the drive in order to test this.
No need to do that. As I noted, with the drive disconnected, I still have the blinking green light and no video out. The fan doesn't run. . A unit with NO drive (what I'm simulating by disconnecting) at least gives you a "Welcome, ..." screen and a steady green power light. And the fan would run. Since I've already ruled out the power supply by swapping in a known good one, it has to be something on the system board -- something that uses the same side of the power supply as does the fan.

I suspect that I fried the HDMI circuit by unplugging the HDMI cable while it was turned on.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

HDMI is hot-pluggable. I've seen a TiVo HD operate fine with a physically ripped off HDMI connector (using the component outputs.)
Two TiVo Minis

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
No need to do that. As I noted, with the drive disconnected, I still have the blinking green light and no video out. The fan doesn't run. . A unit with NO drive (what I'm simulating by disconnecting) at least gives you a "Welcome, ..." screen and a steady green power light. And the fan would run. Since I've already ruled out the power supply by swapping in a known good one, it has to be something on the system board -- something that uses the same side of the power supply as does the fan.

I suspect that I fried the HDMI circuit by unplugging the HDMI cable while it was turned on.
Looks like you've covered the basics.
The only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned:

Have you tried booting up with the fan disconnected from the MB? Maybe the fan is shorted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
unitron

As long as you've got it opened, check the power supply capacitors for signs of bulging or leakage. The tops are supposed to be absolutely flat.

Pull the battery and let the unit sit for a few hours, slip something non-conductive into the battery holder to hold the contacts apart.

Then try booting to the Welcome screen over the composite video (yellow cable) with no hard drive attached.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Looks like you've covered the basics.
The only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned:

Have you tried booting up with the fan disconnected from the MB? Maybe the fan is shorted.
Yes, tried that. I disconnected absolutely everything I could from the system board. Still had the blinky, green light.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Well, looking at an HDMI port, I can't see how you might have screwed something up by unplugging the HDMI cable with power connected.*

*Unless... you might have inadvertently pulled the cable out at an angle with enough force that it compromised the solder connections on the MB.

Another far fetched theory...

Spend a few bucks and replace the MB backup battery.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well, looking at an HDMI port, I can't see how you might have screwed something up by unplugging the HDMI cable with power connected.*
Theoretically, HDMI is hot pluggable, but the web is littered with anecdotal accounts of people frying one end or the other (sometimes both) of their HDMI connections by plugging/unplugging hot.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

There is 5V DC in there, but it would take a lot to short that pin.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

I had never seen the blinking green power light problem before this THD failed and now I've seen it twice.

Another of my THDs was a bit sluggish and I ran Kickstart 57 on it, following which, when it tried to start up, the power light blinked just like the earlier one. The only thing these two THDs had in common was the TV to which each was connected -- a 19" Vizio. I unplugged the blinker and tried booting again and it started and is running normally. Whew!

Apparently, there is more than one condition that can cause the blinking green power light condition.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I had never seen the blinking green power light problem before this THD failed and now I've seen it twice.

Another of my THDs was a bit sluggish and I ran Kickstart 57 on it, following which, when it tried to start up, the power light blinked just like the earlier one. The only thing these two THDs had in common was the TV to which each was connected -- a 19" Vizio. I unplugged the blinker and tried booting again and it started and is running normally. Whew!

Apparently, there is more than one condition that can cause the blinking green power light condition.
Were both connected to that TV via HDMI?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Were both connected to that TV via HDMI?
Yes.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Yes.
Have you tested that same HDMI input on the TV with some other known good piece of source equipment?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
rkshack

Was an answer ever figured out? I just started having the same problem with my TiVo hd.

Rkshack
rkshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
caughey

I woke up this morning to a blinking green light on my TiVo HD and no video. A reboot has fixed it for now at least, but I haven't found a definitive answer as to what this means.

Any ideas? Is this a subliminal message from TiVo that I need to buy a Roamio?
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
I woke up this morning to a blinking green light on my TiVo HD and no video. A reboot has fixed it for now at least, but I haven't found a definitive answer as to what this means.

It is part of TiVos new update program, special software is sent to select customers to test out how annoying they can make your older TiVo before you give up and upgrade to the Roamio

Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
caughey

So far, so good. I haven't had any more problems with the flashing green light.

My TiVo did reboot for no apparent reason this morning, and I suspect it's occasionally been rebooting behind my back. Is there a way to check how long it's been since the last reboot?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
So far, so good. I haven't had any more problems with the flashing green light.

My TiVo did reboot for no apparent reason this morning, and I suspect it's occasionally been rebooting behind my back. Is there a way to check how long it's been since the last reboot?
If you have a cable card or MoCA there is an uptime counter, I also think each channel your TiVo is tuned to has an uptime counter.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
caughey

Thanks, I remembered seeing some counters somewhere before, but I didn't go deep enough in the menus to find them again.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:

I've learned a bit about that flashing green light on HDs since you posted this.

In your case, it probably meant that it had downloaded 11.0m and was ready to switch boot partition sets next time it got rebooted.

It can also, I am told, be the result of the CPU announcing a problem on the motherboard, maybe even a problem inside the CPU (which is a custom chip with a bunch of other stuff besides the actual CPU) itself.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Always suspect the hard drive first. Replace it and see if works then . You'll have to go through the set up again and it will erase any TV shows on the replacement hard drive.
TCD652160 are cheap on ebay or you might be able to get one on craigslist to get a hard drive off of. If you are good with computers you might be able to grab a spare hard drive that you have laying around and put the TiVo software on it and use it. I have never done that myself, but they talk about it a lot on this forum.
A hard disk wouldn't cause the light to blink green. If the light is blinking green, the DVR makes no attempt to do anything (even access the hard disk).

It's likely to be a power supply issue, but it can also be caused by something on the board.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
A hard disk wouldn't cause the light to blink green. If the light is blinking green, the DVR makes no attempt to do anything (even access the hard disk).

It's likely to be a power supply issue, but it can also be caused by something on the board.
As I indicated, a blinking green on an S3 HD or HD XL can indicate a pending reboot to activate a software update, which information would technically have been communicated to the motherboard by the hard drive.

Now if you boot or reboot and get the blink, that's different (and you're quite possibly screwed big time).

Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Always suspect the hard drive first...
I must respectfully disagree.

Always, on S2s and S3s, suspect the power supply first, with the hard drive as a close second.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #26
caughey

And the flashing green light returns.... No video, rebooted...I can hear the little TiVo guy bouncing through the different TV shows now...such a sweet sound.