TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #1711
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My biggest concern is this is a lifetime unit which is the anchor for 3 other HD units with $6.95/mo MSD. If it doesn't make a call will they eventually lose their MSD pricing?
If you ever have a problem just use the PLSR code and you will get the MSD pricing.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #1712
unitron

Quote:
So I finally got around to replacing the drive in my Sister's S2 unit, but it didn't work. Not sure if I screwed something up or if maybe it's a power supply issue and not the drive. She told me it was locking up and needing to be rebooted all the time. I assumed it was the drive. I never even tested the TiVo myself. I popped out the drive installed it in an external enclosure I had and connected it to a PC. It was loud, but seemed to work. I used WinMFS to create a backup and then popped a drive out of an old S2DT unit and restored to that. Seemed to go fine but when I put it into the TiVo I get nothing. I get that generic gray "powering up" screen but the drive never seems to be booted. The lights on the front are all lit and never go off. I thought maybe the external enclosure caused some sort of problem so dug up an old PC with PATA ports and plugged both drives into that. I ran WinMFS again and this time did a copy from the old drive to the new one. When that was finally done I put the drive in the TiVo and still nothing. I put the original drive in the TiVo and nothing from that either.

So I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue. What do you guys think? I don't have another compatible power supply. Do you guys think it's worth buying one just to try and resurrect this?

My biggest concern is this is a lifetime unit which is the anchor for 3 other HD units with $6.95/mo MSD. If it doesn't make a call will they eventually lose their MSD pricing?
What's the model number of her S2?

(haven't you been around here long enough to know to include that?)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #1713
Dan203
Super Moderator

Tcd140060
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #1714
wscannell

Quote:
So I finally got around to replacing the drive in my Sister's S2 unit, but it didn't work. Not sure if I screwed something up or if maybe it's a power supply issue and not the drive. She told me it was locking up and needing to be rebooted all the time. I assumed it was the drive. I never even tested the TiVo myself. I popped out the drive installed it in an external enclosure I had and connected it to a PC. It was loud, but seemed to work. I used WinMFS to create a backup and then popped a drive out of an old S2DT unit and restored to that. Seemed to go fine but when I put it into the TiVo I get nothing. I get that generic gray "powering up" screen but the drive never seems to be booted. The lights on the front are all lit and never go off. I thought maybe the external enclosure caused some sort of problem so dug up an old PC with PATA ports and plugged both drives into that. I ran WinMFS again and this time did a copy from the old drive to the new one. When that was finally done I put the drive in the TiVo and still nothing. I put the original drive in the TiVo and nothing from that either.

So I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue. What do you guys think? I don't have another compatible power supply. Do you guys think it's worth buying one just to try and resurrect this?
It is likely the power supply. Take a look at the tops of the capacitors. Are they slightly bulging? That is another hint. I just had a power supply that would run the TiVo, but the drive would not spin up. Replaced the power supply and back in business.
wscannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #1715
unitron

Quote:
Tcd140060
Bummer, the ground isn't littered with them the way it is with 540s.

Sit the TiVo near a PC and power the hard drive off the PC's power supply and then plug the TiVo in and see what happens, and wiggle the IDE cable a lot where it plugs in at both ends.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #1716
kidd777

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you already running a version of Windows on that particular PC?

Do you have any experience with a command line interface, like Linux or the old "nothing but letters on the screen" DOS?

(trying to figure out the easiest way for you, which will determine the version of the S1 Philips image to which I point you)
Either way works for me. I can put whatever version of windows on the machine or work from a command line boot disk.
kidd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #1717
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd777 View Post
Either way works for me. I can put whatever version of windows on the machine or work from a command line boot disk.

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/13Phil48.bak

For use with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/13Phil48.tbk

Restore with either, but do not expand as part of the restoration, including at the end when WinMFS offers to.

Instead, after checking the drive following restoration with

mfsinfo

from either program

and

pdisk -l /dev/wherever the drive is

(that's a lowercase L)

from the Live cd, only then expand with

mfsadd

Also see my PM to you.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #1718
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm not sure this TiVo is even worth saving. I've looked around and finding a power supply for these things is hard and is going to cost at least $50. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble now that our cable system is all digital and she has to use it with an IR blaster which isn't very reliable.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 AM   #1719
unitron

Quote:
I'm not sure this TiVo is even worth saving. I've looked around and finding a power supply for these things is hard and is going to cost at least $50. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble now that our cable system is all digital and she has to use it with an IR blaster which isn't very reliable.
Borrow a voltmeter from someone and check the DC outputs to be sure it's the supply.

Yellow = +12V

Red = +5V

Orange = +3.3V

If those are close, the 28-30 ish V supply for the tuner is sure to be okay.

And black, of course, is ground.

And wiggle the IDE lead at both ends.

And here's an image you can restore with WinMFS to a drive other than the original* just for test purposes

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/140_gset.tbk

*Just make sure the LBA number is at least as big. If the original is a Maxtor, then it's probably a little fatter than other brand 60GB drives.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #1720
kidd777

Quote:
For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

For use with WinMFS:

Restore with either, but do not expand as part of the restoration, including at the end when WinMFS offers to.

Instead, after checking the drive following restoration with

mfsinfo

from either program

and

pdisk -l /dev/wherever the drive is

(that's a lowercase L)

from the Live cd, only then expand with

mfsadd

Also see my PM to you.
Success!!! My S1 is now booting with a new drive. Thank you for all the help.
kidd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #1721
gwbnola

I need TCD540080 image...can my new 160g drive be put in an external USB enclosure for restoring the image using WinMFS?.... thanks in advance
gwbnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #1722
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbnola View Post
I need TCD540080 image...can my new 160g drive be put in an external USB enclosure for restoring the image using WinMFS?.... thanks in advance
This is for a 40GB 540, but it'll work. Besides, going onto a 160GB drive, you'll be expanding anyway.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.tbk

WinMFS should be able to see the drive via USB, as long as you're running it as admin or with admin privileges.

The restoration process may appear to freeze. Just let it alone and it should be finished well inside an hour.

When it finishes, it'll say you've got extra space and offer to expand.

Say no.

Then run

mfsinfo

(I'm pretty sure it's under File)

to make sure everything looks okay.

I'll show a big Apple Free partition at the end of the drive.

Then you can run

mfsadd

to expand.

Or you can shut down, put the drive in the TiVo to test, which will include going through Guided Setup and straightening out the fact that the image has my TiVo Service Number and not the one on your TiVo's motherboard.

Once you get it set up the way you want it, you can take it back to the PC and make your own .tbk file, which will have your settings, ZIP Code, cable co., etc.

And you can run

mfsadd

and expand while you're there.

Just be sure to run the expansion separately from the restoration.

And if the restoration offers you not just an option for a larger swap file, but also says something about the optimized partition layout, you do want the optimized layout and you do not want to avoid the optimized layout (I forget exactly how the choice is worded).

Only the Series 1 TiVos do not use the optimized layout.

And for someone looking to restore a 540 image using the MFS Live cd v1.4, this is the file to use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.bak

Same instructions to use

mfsadd

to do the expansion as a separate process apply, so when using the

restore

command, omit the

-xz

options and just use

-pi

Both of these images were taken from a Maxtor 40GB drive, which has a slightly higher LBA number than 40GB WDs and Seagates from the same era, so you need either the same model Maxtor or a drive bigger than 40GB.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #1723
gwbnola

Quote:
This is for a 40GB 540, but it'll work. Besides, going onto a 160GB drive, you'll be expanding anyway.

WinMFS should be able to see the drive via USB, as long as you're running it as admin or with admin privileges.

The restoration process may appear to freeze. Just let it alone and it should be finished well inside an hour.

When it finishes, it'll say you've got extra space and offer to expand.

Say no.

Then run

mfsinfo

(I'm pretty sure it's under File)

to make sure everything looks okay.

I'll show a big Apple Free partition at the end of the drive.

Then you can run

mfsadd

to expand.

Or you can shut down, put the drive in the TiVo to test, which will include going through Guided Setup and straightening out the fact that the image has my TiVo Service Number and not the one on your TiVo's motherboard.

Once you get it set up the way you want it, you can take it back to the PC and make your own .tbk file, which will have your settings, ZIP Code, cable co., etc.

And you can run

mfsadd

and expand while you're there.

Just be sure to run the expansion separately from the restoration.

And if the restoration offers you not just an option for a larger swap file, but also says something about the optimized partition layout, you do want the optimized layout and you do not want to avoid the optimized layout (I forget exactly how the choice is worded).

Only the Series 1 TiVos do not use the optimized layout.

And for someone looking to restore a 540 image using the MFS Live cd v1.4, this is the file to use:

Same instructions to use

mfsadd

to do the expansion as a separate process apply, so when using the

restore

command, omit the

-xz

options and just use

-pi

Both of these images were taken from a Maxtor 40GB drive, which has a slightly higher LBA number than 40GB WDs and Seagates from the same era, so you need either the same model Maxtor or a drive bigger than 40GB.

Thanks for the fast reply and detailed instructions, I'm starting download now...wish me success!!!!
gwbnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #1724
markess

I can't help but think I'm doing something simple wrong? Trying to restore Unitron's 540040c.tbk with WinMFS 9.3f, on a newly wiped drive. When I click "start" it immediately gives a "Error writing to target drive! Restore failed!" message. Anyone know what tends to cause this error? Thanks.
markess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #1725
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markess View Post
I can't help but think I'm doing something simple wrong? Trying to restore Unitron's 540040c.tbk with WinMFS 9.3f, on a newly wiped drive. When I click "start" it immediately gives a "Error writing to target drive! Restore failed!" message. Anyone know what tends to cause this error? Thanks.
What's the brand and model number of the target drive?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #1726
markess

Quote:
What's the brand and model number of the target drive?
So far, I've tried a 250GB WD 2500JB, a low mileage 80GB Seagate ST380021A, and a couple laptop drives with adapters (80GB Seagate & 100GB Toshiba) just to see if they would work.

Some months back, I'd had no trouble with the 540_GSet.tbk (thanks again for that by the way), but it went to endless looping when it upgraded apparently, hence the new attempt at restoring. I'm using the same IDE to USB adapter I used on for that (Apricorn), so maybe I crack the case and switch to an IDE ribbon cable on the motherboard next?

I WAS able to load the 540040c.bak with MFSTools. But in the Tivo, it gave me the transparent background and kept freezing before I could clear and delete.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #1727
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markess View Post
So far, I've tried a 250GB WD 2500JB, a low mileage 80GB Seagate ST380021A, and a couple laptop drives with adapters (80GB Seagate & 100GB Toshiba) just to see if they would work.

Some months back, I'd had no trouble with the 540_GSet.tbk (thanks again for that by the way), but it went to endless looping when it upgraded apparently, hence the new attempt at restoring. I'm using the same IDE to USB adapter I used on for that (Apricorn), so maybe I crack the case and switch to an IDE ribbon cable on the motherboard next?

I WAS able to load the 540040c.bak with MFSTools. But in the Tivo, it gave me the transparent background and kept freezing before I could clear and delete.

Thanks.
Since others have used that same file successfully, all I can think to suggest just now is to download it again into a different location, just in case something got scrambled the first time.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #1728
markess

Quote:
Since others have used that same file successfully, all I can think to suggest just now is to download it again into a different location, just in case something got scrambled the first time.
Success! The file was fine. But, my IDE to USB adapter doesn't seem to do the trick anymore. Oddly, I had to use an IDE ribbon cable on two computers to get it to work. The first, with an Nvidia 630i chip-set, failed as well. The second, with Intel G43, took less than 2 minutes.

Got through guided set-up and its now happily churning away on Clear and Delete to wipe & reset the ID hash.

Thanks again Unitron! As soon as I get a couple more posts, I'll PM to help with your Dropbox limit.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #1729
MichaelKB1977

Question

My GF's TCD748000 died a few weeks ago. I've given up on being able to keep her recordings. Just trying to go ahead and get it re-imaged now. Can anyone tell me where I might find the image for this?

GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!
MichaelKB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #1730
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKB1977 View Post
My GF's TCD748000 died a few weeks ago. I've given up on being able to keep her recordings. Just trying to go ahead and get it re-imaged now. Can anyone tell me where I might find the image for this?

GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #1731
coach1973

i was hoping someone could tell me where to find the image for a 80gig tcd649080 i could only find a 160 gig image
coach1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #1732
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach1973 View Post
i was hoping someone could tell me where to find the image for a 80gig tcd649080 i could only find a 160 gig image
Then you didn't find a TCD649080 image, you found a TCD649180 image.

On a drive 160GB or larger, either will work in either model Series 2 Dual Tuner, because the only real difference in the two models is the size of the hard drive with which they came from the factory.

But, in case you're planning on using a drive at least 80GB but less than 160,

This is the one that you restore using the MFS Live cd v1.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/649cGS.bak

and this is the one you restore with WinMFS executable that runs on Windows XP SP3 or newer (do it as admin)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49887720/649cGS.tbk

If WinMFS offers you a choice, you DO want to be using the optimized partition layout, and when it finishes with the restore if there's any space left on the drive (i.e., if it't bigger than 80GB) and it offers to expand, tell it no, and check that the drive looks okay in

mfsinfo

and only then (or even later) run

mfsadd

to do the expanding.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #1733
bclifford

A couple of years unitron wrote a response to someone (Post #829 in this thread):
"Okay, here's a 13GB truncated Series 1 Philips, software version 3, LBA48 patched, original S1 style partition layout, starts in Guided Setup image in both flavors, MFS Live and WinMFS

Remember to not use the -p option with the restore command on the MFS Live cd and make sure WinMFS is set to not use the "optimized" partition layout."

This fits my situation too. I have the PTV300 with a VERY noisy hard drive. I put the WinMFS image on a new 120GB drive and it hangs at the initial startup screen.

I've looked and did not see where to make sure WinMFS is set to not use the "optimized" partition layout. Can someone help me out?

I really appreciate your help!
Brian
bclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #1734
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclifford View Post
A couple of years unitron wrote a response to someone (Post #829 in this thread):
"Okay, here's a 13GB truncated Series 1 Philips, software version 3, LBA48 patched, original S1 style partition layout, starts in Guided Setup image in both flavors, MFS Live and WinMFS

Remember to not use the -p option with the restore command on the MFS Live cd and make sure WinMFS is set to not use the "optimized" partition layout."

This fits my situation too. I have the PTV300 with a VERY noisy hard drive. I put the WinMFS image on a new 120GB drive and it hangs at the initial startup screen.

I've looked and did not see where to make sure WinMFS is set to not use the "optimized" partition layout. Can someone help me out?

Brian

When you select the target drive and point it towards the .tbk file you want to use, it pops up a box that gives you the option of increasing swap file size if you want to.

Sometimes there's a second checkbox on there related to the optimized partition layout.

And sometimes it's not there.

I'm not sure exactly what under what conditions spike set it up to make it show or not show.

Since S1 stuff is written to the hard drive byte-swapped, and S2s and later don't use a CPU that requires that, maybe when it detects the byte-swapping in the backup image it knows it's an S1 and knows to use the straightforward partition layout instead of the "optimized" one that didn't start until the S2s came out.

Put the drive back on the PC, open WinMFS, select the drive and click on

mfsinfo

and see what it has to say.

Although if you aren't getting beyond the very first "Welcome" screen, which is on the motherboard and not the hard drive, maybe the motherboard isn't communicating with the drive.

Try re-seating the power plug and data cable, and tell us the brand and model number of the drive.

Last edited by unitron : 02-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #1735
nibblet787

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
Hi! I originally replied to one of your older posts, before realizing that replying to a more recent post might be faster...

Would you happen to still have a link to a premiere xl 748 image? My father-in-law has been a bit upset since his tivo hard drive died, and I'd like to help if I can.
nibblet787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #1736
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblet787 View Post
Hi! I originally replied to one of your older posts, before realizing that replying to a more recent post might be faster...

Would you happen to still have a link to a premiere xl 748 image? My father-in-law has been a bit upset since his tivo hard drive died, and I'd like to help if I can.
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #1737
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclifford View Post

Brian
Are you using an IDE or a SATA drive for the new one? If it is a SATA, then it's possible that your SATA to IDE adapter is not one that is friendly to the S1. Tivos are picky about the adapters and I think that Unitron has also specified some that may work with S2 boxes but not S1 boxes.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #1738
Philbert1

Hr10-250

Anyone have an old DTivo HR10-250 image lying around? I'm hoping to find a copy of 6.4a, but at this point almost anything will do. I want to see if I can breath some life into the old girl before taking her to the scrap heap (aka, the recycling counter at Best Buy).

Thanks!
Philbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #1739
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert1 View Post
Anyone have an old DTivo HR10-250 image lying around? I'm hoping to find a copy of 6.4a, but at this point almost anything will do. I want to see if I can breath some life into the old girl before taking her to the scrap heap (aka, the recycling counter at Best Buy).

Thanks!
All I have is one for an R10 so I don't think that will help. There is a DirecTV forum here in the community so I recommend checking with those folks.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #1740
MrChaos

Dead TCD748000

My Dad's TCD748000 has died a clicky dead. May it rest in peace.

Since it's a lifetimer, I really want to fix it for him and would rather not pay double for a pre-imaged drive. Does a anyone have a link to a backup image I can download and restore on to a new drive?

Thanks in advance.
MrChaos is offline   Reply With Quote