TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
revansCAAD8

RID verification?

Have an opportunity to purchase a New In Box S4040R TIVO (storage locker sale) to replace our dying RCA DRV40 TIVO. We have the new box RID but unfortunately DTV says they cannot verify the unit because it has never been activated and they cannot tell if it was 'leased' box (from them) or a 'owned' box (like from Bestbuy, etc) that just wasn't activated? And that they wouldn't be able to tell until we added it to our account and activated it!? On top of that, if it was a 'leased' unit, we maybe be subject to a 2yr agreement and lease fee!? Sounds like baloney to me. We have been with DTV since '92 and only have had OWNED boxes. Anyone know of a way to verify a never activated receiver RID?

Thank for any help,
Robert

Last edited by revansCAAD8 : 01-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.
revansCAAD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My understanding is this: unless they are supplying you with new hardware, activating a box does not incur a new commitment. The only issue is whether it is leased or not, as if it was leased they won't activate it.

I don't see how they can't verify the status - either they have the record or they don't. Maybe you should call back and play CSR Roulette.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
revansCAAD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
My understanding is this: unless they are supplying you with new hardware, activating a box does not incur a new commitment. The only issue is whether it is leased or not, as if it was leased they won't activate it.

I don't see how they can't verify the status - either they have the record or they don't. Maybe you should call back and play CSR Roulette.
Yeah strange deal. They say the reason they can't find the RID in their system is because it's a unit that has never been activated. Although they did act like we could add the unit but with the possible 'lease' concerns.

We will try giving them another call and someone else recommended calling the Access Card Dept?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Diana Collins

IIRC, none of the Samsung, RCA, Philips or Sony branded Series 2 TiVos for DirecTV were leased. By the time they started leasing receivers I think the only SD TiVo was the DirecTV branded R10. The SIR-S4040 is a Samsung branded unit.

As I mentioned on the other site, you may have a problem getting the software up to date. The download and update process of these old units is flaky, and requires a landline connection.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
revansCAAD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
IIRC, none of the Samsung, RCA, Philips or Sony branded Series 2 TiVos for DirecTV were leased. By the time they started leasing receivers I think the only SD TiVo was the DirecTV branded R10. The SIR-S4040 is a Samsung branded unit.

As I mentioned on the other site, you may have a problem getting the software up to date. The download and update process of these old units is flaky, and requires a landline connection.
Again great info Diana, thank you. I told the CSR that I didn't believe DTV even leased these units out back then but they didn't accept that. This unit was likely built in '03-'04 and I don't think DTV started leasing out units until something like '06-'07?
On the updating... Assuming we buy it and all goes well with DTV, we planned to take our already upgraded (size & software version 6.4a) harddrive from our RCA DVR40 and put it in the 'new' TIVO. Then do the Clear & Delete so it will tie itself to the new hardware/unit. Yes, it would likely need to do a Phone Home to activate TIVO recording again. Since we don't have a landline, will would likely take the unit to a friend house that does and have it connect that first required time.

Sound plausible?

Robert
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
That should work. I'm not sure how this will play into the old warning about using a disk image from another brand of TiVo as in the past this caused TiVo's servers to keep trying to load the right one. But for the DTiVos, all the software comes over the satellite (when it is available at all). You may want to try to keep track of any phone calls it makes, and if they're lengthy, disconnect the phone line and live with the nag screens. (Or hack it and install the fakecall script.)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
revansCAAD8

Thought I would update....
Well we purchased the receiver and before installing, we contacted DTV again But this time we asked for the Access Card Department.'Tom' was very nice and helpful and was able to confirm the receiver RID was never activated and would NOT require any commitment or lease fee, only a $6 additional receiver fee. Since he was nice and helpful, we did want to risk calling back later getting someone else, so we had him go ahead and add the receiver & it's included access card to our account.

Here is the kicker. Later we unpacked it and connected the cables to setup. Unit booted up fine. Selecting the Now Playing List, it shows like 6 movies listed!? Hmmm how is that possible? So then we go into the Settings to setup the satellite stuff, when we find No signal on Tuner #1, #2 is fine. Check our cables and even switched them and still no signal on Tuner #1!? I have tried everything and know the cables has the signal but suspect the box has a dead Tuner #1 (supposed to be and appears to be Brand New!) Oh and the same Sat cables work fine connected to our other old Tivo.
So without a Tuner #1 signal, we cannot get any programing and/or finish the setup process :-(

Any ideas?
Robert
Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did you select the correct dish type and number of connections?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

Your understanding is wrong.

Activating an owned TiVo will have a new commitment and DirecTV won't tell you until you cancel.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
revansCAAD8

Quote:
Did you select the correct dish type and number of connections?
Thanks, Yep sure have. We have had an almost identical RCA DVR40 since '03-'04, so know how to setup.
I'm pretty darn sure Turner #1 is just dead :-( Bet that is why it was supposedly 'New In Box'. Wonder the original owner didn't shock it or something like that? What would that (or lightning) normally damage it inside. I'm pretty good at soldering if need be.

Robert
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by revansCAAD8 View Post
...DTV says they cannot verify the unit because it has never been activated and they cannot tell if it was 'leased' box (from them) or a 'owned' box (like from Bestbuy, etc) that just wasn't activated? And that they wouldn't be able to tell until we added it to our account and activated it!?.
dtv didn't start to offer leased equipment until after rca dvr40's were no longer manufactured. there were never any leased rca dvr40's, so there's no way your box could be leased. and to be honest, it's stupid for dtv to suggest it - if it's leased, and it doesn't work, they would have to honor the warranty.

i suspect activating the box will lock you into a new contract anyway - you need to speak to a tech dept sup or mgr that's worked for dtv longer than 8 years, and aks for thier help. they can note your account that you added old owned equipment, and any new contract is not valid. good luck, you'll need it.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
revansCAAD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
dtv didn't start to offer leased equipment until after rca dvr40's were no longer manufactured. there were never any leased rca dvr40's, so there's no way your box could be leased. and to be honest, it's stupid for dtv to suggest it - if it's leased, and it doesn't work, they would have to honor the warranty.

i suspect activating the box will lock you into a new contract anyway - you need to speak to a tech dept sup or mgr that's worked for dtv longer than 8 years, and aks for thier help. they can note your account that you added old owned equipment, and any new contract is not valid. good luck, you'll need it.
Thanks but all that with the RID & DTV has been resolved (I posted an update above). My issue now is that the new unit (SIR-4040R) appears to have a dead Turner #1 out of the box :-( Oh and something else I noticed, when the Sat #1 cable is connected we hear a faint thumping or hum thru the TV speakers. Disconnected and only Sat 2 connected, no noise.

And although the unit (NIB) was sold as new, looks new, and DTV said it had never been activated, I don't understand how it already has like 6-8 movies recorded in it, LOL!?

Robert