TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
szvers

roamio and mini not on the same network?

I just added a mini and use moca to connect it. I can connect to the tivo service, my internet connection test says working correctly. I can even see my shows in the list, but they all have red circles w/ slashes through them. I see the roamio icon at the top of my shows.

When I attempt to watch them, it says that my mini and the roamio aren't on the same network. I can't watch live tv either.

I have powered down all the boxes including, moca adapters and routers.

If anyone could shed some light on my problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you
szvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
patrickthickey

odd

MoCa seems to give people issues, there are a couple of detailed threads on optimizing your odds. This is only a shabby summary and not intended to sound condescending....

* do you have a MoCa blocking filter on the point of entry for the cable service? This is a very important thing, though it appears not to be 100% necessary, it depends upon topology outside your residence.

* I assume your Roamio is configured as a "MoCA bridge" and itself connected to Ethernet? This means it "bridges" the Internet/Ethernet connection and shoots that and all content to the Mini via coax. Hence the need to make sure the MoCa physical layer stuff is properly configured.

* to be properly in line with the MoCa housekeeping stuff, make sure you use 75 ohm terminators on ALL unused 75ohm drops associated with your coax network.

Beyond that, I'm sure you will get sound advice from this forum.
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
MoCa seems to give people issues, there are a couple of detailed threads on optimizing your odds. This is only a shabby summary and not intended to sound condescending....

* do you have a MoCa blocking filter on the point of entry for the cable service? This is a very important thing, though it appears not to be 100% necessary, it depends upon topology outside your residence.

* I assume your Roamio is configured as a "MoCA bridge" and itself connected to Ethernet? This means it "bridges" the Internet/Ethernet connection and shoots that and all content to the Mini via coax. Hence the need to make sure the MoCa physical layer stuff is properly configured.

* to be properly in line with the MoCa housekeeping stuff, make sure you use 75 ohm terminators on ALL unused 75ohm drops associated with your coax network.

Beyond that, I'm sure you will get sound advice from this forum.
I have OTA, do I still need a POE filter?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
szvers

What is a terminator(other than SkyNet)? Thank you

Also, I assumed when my mini had internet working that it would be able to connect to my roamio. The error message doesn't make sense because if I wasn't on the same home network as my roamio I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet. Right?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

You probably just need to reboot them. Sometimes the discovery thing can get out of sync and do stuff like this. A reboot of one, or both, usually takes care of it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You probably just need to reboot them. Sometimes the discovery thing can get out of sync and do stuff like this. A reboot of one, or both, usually takes care of it.
I have rebooted everything twice.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
szvers

I grabbed another moca adapter and put that next to the mini and connected it to the mini via Ethernet rather than the coax? Is there any chance the coax port is defective, if the mini worked immediately after using Ethernet rather than coax?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

So using an external MoCa adapter connected to the Mini via Ethernet works? But connecting the Mini directly to the same coax does not? And you're sure when you had the Mini connected to the coax you went into the network section and enabled MoCa?

If so then I'd say that either the Mini's coax port is defective or the MoCa connection at that point is really poor and the standalone adapter is just a little better at picking up the poor connection then the Mini.

To test it you could put the Mini in the same room as the TiVo and see if it can pick up the MoCa signal. If it can then you know the ports OK and the wiring is bad. If it can't then you know the Mini is defective.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
BigJimOutlaw

Strange. Was the Mini literally just activated? Have your forced a couple service connections on both devices?

Some people have reported having to wait a day or two until activation is fully "kicked in" until the Tivo and Mini play nice. Sometimes renaming a device and then forcing connections helps kick it in too.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-01-2014 at 03:21 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
szvers

Quote:
So using an external MoCa adapter connected to the Mini via Ethernet works? But connecting the Mini directly to the same coax does not? And you're sure when you had the Mini connected to the coax you went into the network section and enabled MoCa?

If so then I'd say that either the Mini's coax port is defective or the MoCa connection at that point is really poor and the standalone adapter is just a little better at picking up the poor connection then the Mini.

To test it you could put the Mini in the same room as the TiVo and see if it can pick up the MoCa signal. If it can then you know the ports OK and the wiring is bad. If it can't then you know the Mini is defective.
Yes, the external adapter worked with the mini via ethernet. I'm sure I went into the mini and selected Moca when I had the coax connection.

How can coaxial wiring be bad? I will take it upstairs to the same room to test, but what do I hook it up to when I get it there? Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Strange. Was the Mini literally just activated? Have your forced a couple service connections on both devices?

Some people have reported having to wait a day or two until activation is fully "kicked in" until the Tivo and Mini play nice. Sometimes renaming a device and then forcing connections helps kick it in too.
Yes, just a few hours ago. It can't be the coax port b/c I'm able to connect to the internet and the tivo service. Is that sound thinking?

I will try renaming the roamio and the mini. Thank you.

I have forced connections on both devices at least 3 times.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

Now that we know the Mini can work (with the adapter), if you were to remove the adapter at the Mini now, would it still not work?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
szvers

Quote:
Now that we know the Mini can work (with the adapter), if you were to remove the adapter at the Mini now, would it still not work?
Tried that...It couldn't recognize the roamio right after I removed the ethernet and tried the coax again.

Just changed name on roamio and connected to tivo service...now am going to do the same with mini.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by szvers View Post
What is a terminator(other than SkyNet)? Thank you
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a 4-port drop amp with 1 unused port, so I used one of these in the unused port. I also put one on the RF out port on my tuning adapter, since I'm not using that.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-01-2014 at 04:00 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
szvers

Anyone have an idea where to buy a poe filter? Radio Shack doesn't have them and tivo is 8.99 plus 8.99 shipping. Amazon seems to be sold out.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a 4-port drop amp with 1 unused port, so I used one of these in the unused port. I also put one on the RF out port on my tuning adapter.
So the signal can really be lost? Should I use them in all the cable outlets I'm not connected to?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
tarheelblue32

Quote:
So the signal can really be lost? Should I use them in all the cable outlets I'm not connected to?
Unused outputs are the one place in a coax network that is unshielded, so yes you are technically supposed to use a terminator on any unused outlet on your home coax network, be it unused wall outlets or unused splitter/amp outputs. But a lot of people don't bother to use them and don't seem to have any problems without them. I use them because I'm anal and like to be extremely thorough. I really have no idea how much difference they actually make in practice, but they are inexpensive and it certainly doesn't hurt to use them.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-01-2014 at 04:10 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
BigJimOutlaw

If you're OTA only, don't worry about the POE filter.

Is there a splitter or two in between the primary moca adapter and the Mini that is particularly old or not robust enough (they should be at least 1000Mhz?)

It's possible the moca adapter is more sensitive at picking up weaker signals. So maybe there's a way to improve the quality of the signal (like checking the splitters) to ditch that second adapter.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 02-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
szvers

Quote:
Okay, thank you.
Does it seem like if my mini connects to the network/internet via the coax using moca adapter that it should be able to play shows?

Do you think it all boils down to waiting 24-48 hrs like you said earlier before they play nice? Like I said, I can see the shows on the mini, just can't play them.
BTW I didn't rename both boxes, connected to tivo service, and rebooted everything again.

I think it is ridiculous that you have to wait that long. They never tell you that stuff ahead of time.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. If the Mini connects to the internet via MoCa then the MoCa is working. So it must be an authorization thing.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
szvers

Quote:

Is there a splitter or two in between the primary moca adapter and the Mini that is particularly old or not robust enough (should be at least 1000Mhz?)
The mini has a long cable from the attic antenna, which is connecting to a 4 way splitter. One of those 4 legs, branches off into another 4 way splitter. Also that long line to the mini has a cable connector to bridge to cables together. Is it better to use a splitter on one of those or a cable connector?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
szvers

Quote:
Yes. If the Mini connects to the internet via MoCa then the MoCa is working. So it must be an authorization thing.
Thanks, that makes me feel good at least. How long until I should worry, after 48hrs?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #23
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Do you think it all boils down to waiting 24-48 hrs like you said earlier before they play nice? Like I said, I can see the shows on the mini, just can't play them.
If you're capable of playing shows while using the adapter, then I would think it's properly authorized already.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #24
szvers

Quote:

Is there a splitter or two in between the primary moca adapter and the Mini that is particularly old or not robust enough (they should be at least 1000Mhz?)

It's possible the moca adapter is more sensitive at picking up weaker signals. So maybe there's a way to improve the quality of the signal (like checking the splitters) to ditch that second adapter.
I need the second adapter at the roamio b/c it's a basic.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #25
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
The mini has a long cable from the attic antenna, which is connecting to a 4 way splitter. One of those 4 legs, branches off into another 4 way splitter. Also that long line to the mini has a cable connector to bridge to cables together. Is it better to use a splitter on one of those or a cable connector?
Are the splitters marked at least 1000MHz? Sounds like you're using a coax barrel connector on the Mini line... Make sure that's at least 1000 MHz also (if possible).
Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
I need the second adapter at the roamio b/c it's a basic.
Right, I just meant remove it from the Mini. Was the Roamio connected by ethernet while you tested the Mini?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #27
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

So, your antenna is connected to seven devices?

If you have open taps on the splitters, they should be swapped out with ones with the needed number of connections. Unneeded splits and open taps are definitely not helpful.

Did you check the ratings on your splitters? Did i miss your answer?

The long runs, splits and possible attenuation from out of spec splitters may account for the trouble connecting. As stated elsewhere, the adapter may simply be able to connect to a weaker signal.

You don't have any amp in the lines, do you? Amps can be one way, not have the frequency range or simply be incompatible with moca networking

-------
Its also always possible that the minis built-in Moca functionality is defective.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
szvers

I took the mini and a small tv and put it right next to the roamio. I split (1000mhz) the coax line coming from the wall two ways and plugged one end into the adapter and the other into the mni.

Rebooted everything, still can connect to the internet and tivo service, see my shows, but when I go to play them it says cant connect to the roamio.

Ugh.

I haven't climbed into the attic to look at the mhz of the splitters up there yet.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #29
szvers

Quote:
Right, I just meant remove it from the Mini. Was the Roamio connected by ethernet while you tested the Mini?
Yes, I got it to work with the ethernet, watch shows from the roamio, but it lost connection after a few minutes.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
szvers

I checked all splitters and they are all 1000mhz. I pared down to only 4 connections, from 7, the ones I use right now. I even moved the location of the roamio to the basement, which was where I had trouble with the mini seeing my roamio. Still could connect to the internet like before on the mini, could see my shows, but could not play them as the message said the boxes couldn't see each other, or weren't on the same network.
Next, I put the mini and the roamio right next to each other and got the same error message.
I've rebooted everything at least a dozen times.
I took the mini into one of my 4 working coax locations and decided to connect it via ethernet. It worked for about 30 minutes. I was able to watch live tv and playback my shows. Then it too lost the ethernet connection.

I've also waited at least 24 hrs as some have said it takes the authorization at least a day.

Using moca at the mini I can always connect to the internet, in all locations.

If I can't connect a mini, I probably will return my roamio with lifetime b/c I need at least two dvrs, but I don't want to pay another full service fee for another roamio.

I have some questions:

1 Is my mini faulty? Should I exchange it thru amazon?

2 Another poster said with OTA I don't need a POE filter. Could that still be the reason?

3 Anything else I could try?

Thank you for all the help. I am taking on a ton of flack from the family, after I suggested we watch drop directv. Hanging by a thread here, if you know what I mean.

Some