TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
ncfoster

Most reliable and lowest-impact network setup for new Roamio + Mini + old Premier

I have a new Roamio Pro and Mini on the way. I am migrating from the basic Premiere, upgraded to 2TB.

I am looking to connect and configure things on my network in the most effective way, with an emphasis on reliability, of course, and nearly as important, not clogging up my main network.

My home network is configured with two wireless routers and a large gigabit switch distributing throughout the house. Specifically, I have an Asus RT-56U (running Padavan firmware) setup as the main router, with a D-LINK DGS-1016D gigabit switch feeding most of the wired connections in the house, and an Asus RT-N16 (running Tomato firmware) which sees minimal use, but gets somewhat better coverage with external antennas (all the hardware is in the basement). Finally, there is an Asus GX-D1081 gigabit switch with the main home theater.

Gigabit drops are available at all locations, and if desirable, I can use a straight dedicated run of coax from the Pro to the Mini without much trouble.

I understand that the Roamio Pro can behave as a MoCA bridge, and that the Mini can connect natively via MoCA as well.

My first question is whether that is the best way to go long-term with the Mini? Or am I better off sticking with the available ethernet?

My second question is how to connect the Premier, most likely short-term, to do the program transfer, with the least impact to my overall network performance? I don't think that MoCA is an option, unless I got a separate adapter.

Not being a network guru, the ideas that come to mind are segmenting the two routers, running separate subnets and/or VLANs, etc. I presume somebody has given more thought to things like this than I, and maybe tried multiple options.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ncfoster : 02-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Um, tivos will have pretty much have no impact on a gigabit network...

You can fit like at least 5 simultaneous HD streams into a 100mbit network.

That said, as you noted the Pro and mini can do Moca... If you wanted to keep as much traffic off your Ethernet network, just get a Moca adapter (like 50-it's bucks at tivo.com and attach the premiere to it.

IMHO, you are overthinking this and already have overkill
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
ncfoster

I get that in theory. However, in my experience, things like streaming a video podcast over my network will sometimes result in gaming lag on my PS3.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The podcast is being streamed locally, not from the internet? Sounds like a network issue. No reason it should be congested just from that.

Just seems overthought. Ethernet's the gold standard, but if you REALLY want to use moca without any additional cost, run ethernet to the Roamio, select "Use this DVR to create a MoCA Network" in the network settings, and the Mini should find it with just a coax connection.

Or to isolate the Tivo traffic (slightly) further, connect a moca adapter to the router to create the moca network, and select "Moca" for all the Tivo devices (except Premiere). Everything will get a network connection with just the coax.

The Premiere isn't worth any expense if it's just temporary, so keep it on ethernet until your stuff is transferred. You can transfer 1 hour HD shows in around 15 minutes. Won't take all that long.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
I get that in theory. However, in my experience, things like streaming a video podcast over my network will sometimes result in gaming lag on my PS3.
Interesting... I bought three gigabit switches to convert my network over to gigabit a few months ago but haven't actually felt compelled to install them... Two tivos, a mini, a stream, like 5 desktop computers, a 2nd wireless access point, smart tv, a printer, laptop, ps3, hd-dvd player, iPad, kindle, 2 cell phones, Chromecast, etc all on 10/100 network backbone, connected to Comcast 50mb service and it never shows signs of stress.
Some of those connect via wireless of course, like the iPad, Chromecast and phones but they generally connect to the 2nd access point which is connected to a switch in the 'middle' of the network. ...and my mini and my xl4 are talking over Moca, but the xl4 is out at the end of the network and has to go through 2 cheap, more or less generic 10/100 switches to get to the router.

-----
Anyway, if the connection is only temporary to copy everything over, then just setup the new TiVo equipment with Moca, get everything copied over quick and then pull the Premier and then you wont have to worry 'bout it. Think it might take longer and want to spend the money, get the extra Moca adapter
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
JDSmooth

I have a similar network setup to the OP, with an Asus RT-N66U router, a Ubiquiti Wireless AP upstairs and a gigabit Asus 24 port switch (now daisy chained to a Cisco 16 port gigabit switch for more ports) in the basement. I have two Roamio (base and Plus), two minis and a Premiere XL on the network. All are running on ethernet, one of the Roamios actually going through an 8 port gigabit switch in the master bedroom before getting to the main switch in the basement. I see no network slowdowns even when both minis are actively running. Transfers are quick and cause no issues as well.

The only time I notice network lag is when pulling video (particularly HD) from the internet (my connection maxes out at 10 Mbps) and then trying to use the internet for other things. Clearly this is my external connection causing the lag. Internal network traffic seem unfazed by the Tivo traffic.

My advice would be to run everything on ethernet unless there is a network problem that would prevent it. Even then, I would try to solve any network issues before dealing with MoCa. Just my two cents.
JDSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote