TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
jerrydif

Setup questions from potential new user

I am considering the purchase of a Roamio basic. I live in a condo that has coax outlets in each room (2 bedrooms/living room/kitchen) all on one floor. I currently have Comcast for TV & Internet w/WIFI in the Living Room only and a TV in the Master Bedroom that is fed by an antenna for OTA channels only. I plan on canceling the Comcast TV and keeping the Comcast internet service but downgrading it to the 20mb offering. Here is how I want to set it up using Tivo:

Master Bedroom - Install the Roamio to the antenna (in) with a coax cable, connect the Roamio (out) to a moca network adapter using coax, connect the adapter to the wall outlet using coax, connect the Roamio to the TV using an HDMI cable. (As I said I live in a condo and I am very limited as to where I can put the antenna, and also am not able to add/run new wiring. The Master is the only room that I am able to put an antenna in that works well and is aesthetically pleasing).

Living Room - Connect a Tivo Mini to the router with ethernet cable, connect the Mini to the wall outlet using coax, connect the mini to the TV with HDMI.

2nd Bedroom - Connect the TV to a moca network adapter using coax, connect the adapter to the wall outlet using coax. (The TV in this room is used a few times a year when guests visit for a while. There is no need to pay Tivo fees to receive the functionality of the DVR. Over the air channels are fine for this location but currently theere is no way to get a wire from my main antenna to this location and I would have to buy an indoor antenna to make it work otherwise. I'm not sure the indoor antenna would work either)

Thanks for bearing with me, here are my questions:

1. Overall does this set-up look OK, any suggestions.
2. Will the Tivo Mini in the Living Room act as the internet connection to the home MoCA network the way I laid it out or do I need to put a Network Adapter and/or splitters into the mix.
3. Do you think I will be satisfied with the performance/functionality of the Mini since it will be connected to the TV that is used most of the time by far.
4. Will the TV in the 2nd bedroom receive OTA channels from the antnna in this configuration? Would it work without a moca network adapter? Any other suggestions for this room.

Thanks again for your patience and any suggestions you have.
jerrydif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydif View Post
Master Bedroom -...connect the Roamio (out) to a moca network adapter using coax,
My basic Roamio has one coaxial connector for Ant/CATV in. I don't understand how you can have two coaxial connection to TiVo.

It seems you want the antenna signal to pass through TiVo to this imaginary connector so Bedroom 2 has a signal source, but you also want Moca to serve the Mini.

The coaxial cable that exists now must stay connected to your cable provider in order for you to get Internet connectivity. You should not plan to use that same coax to move antenna signals from room to room.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
emfinlay

Jerry, you won't be able to use the Roamio without the Comcast service.
The Roamio works with cable cards provided by Comcast. Whatever TV you have the Roamio connected to will no longer need the Comcast box, so you could install that box on the bedroom tv to receive more channels and return the small adaptor.
emfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
jerrydif

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
My basic Roamio has one coaxial connector for Ant/CATV in. I don't understand how you can have two coaxial connection to TiVo.

It seems you want the antenna signal to pass through TiVo to this imaginary connector so Bedroom 2 has a signal source, but you also want Moca to serve the Mini.

The coaxial cable that exists now must stay connected to your cable provider in order for you to get Internet connectivity. You should not plan to use that same coax to move antenna signals from room to room.
1. Sorry, what if I connected the Roamio to the Network adapter using ethernet cable?

2. Yes I do want the antenna signal to pass through the Moca network so bedroom 2 has a signal source.

3. I understand that the coax will be used for internet connectivity but I thought that the purpose of Moca was to use a dedicated subset of bandwith on the coax to form a network separate from the internet signal. Since the antenna signal will already be floating around on the Moca network why wouldn't I be able to include bedroom 2 in that network to pull it off the moca network?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
jerrydif

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfinlay View Post
Jerry, you won't be able to use the Roamio without the Comcast service.
The Roamio works with cable cards provided by Comcast. Whatever TV you have the Roamio connected to will no longer need the Comcast box, so you could install that box on the bedroom tv to receive more channels and return the small adaptor.
Thanks for info but I'm not sure this applies since I using Comcast only for internet service, not TV content (strictly over the air antenna).
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
3. I understand that the coax will be used for internet connectivity but I thought that the purpose of Moca was to use a dedicated subset of bandwith on the coax to form a network separate from the internet signal.
Yes, a data connection. Not a TV antenna network.

Quote:
Since the antenna signal will already be floating around on the Moca network why wouldn't I be able to include bedroom 2 in that network to pull it off the moca network?
The antenna signal will not be already floating arounfd on your Moca network.

Moca networks as used by TiVo are carrying TCP/IP traffic, your TV in bedroom 2 knows nothing about Moca or TPC/IP. Having a Moca link to a room with a TV but no TiVo or Mini does not buy you anything.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote