TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
abbydancer

Moving to Romio from III and HD - setup questions

Hello, hope this is an appropriate forum.

I just took advantage of the Romio offer and ordered a pro. I currently have, in the living room, a Series 3 and an HD. I have two A/B remotes, one for each TIVO.

So, enter the Romio. My plan is to replace both of them with the Romio. In the short term, however, each TIVO has a 500 G external drive (I think they are 500G). They are both close to full. (We've been traveling a lot, so are way behind on lots of shows).

I have a few questions before it gets here.

My original plan was to move the cable card out of the HD since it is a single card for both tuners. (However, since there was an issue with the tivo over the summer, and Weaknees reset it, I've been unable to get premium channels on it, in spite of the cable company sending signals). Should I risk it or just replace it?

I will probably take both Tivo's off the cable, with the plan to eventually just use the Romio. However, I'm sure what to do to preserve the content. Originally, I just figured I'd keep them both attached to the tv, and watch things until they run out, while recording all new stuff on the Romio. However, I'm not sure about how that will work with remotes. Does the Romio use the same remote? If so, is there a way to keep 3 devices in the same room without them stepping on each other?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
shrike4242

If you ordered it from Tivo, the Roamio Pro is already active on your account, so all thre devices should be able to see one another.

I'd suggest transferring all of the content from the S3 and the HD to the Roamio and then dump everything off of the S3 and the HD. Not sure how the S3 and HD are on your local network, though as the Roamio has WiFi, Ethernet and MoCA, you should be able to hook it into your network somehow.

If you're having issues with the existing CableCard, I'd suggest getting a new one from the cable company and start fresh with a new cable card. Would also be a good idea as you should get a cable care with newer firmware than what you probably have on the HD.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
squiddohio

Your multiple TiVos can be set to any one of 9 discrete code sets, so that you can have multiple devices in a single room. Search this forum for instructions on how to do this. Remember that codeset 0 is universal: a 0 remote will control all TiVos and a TiVo set to 0 will respond to all remotes.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
abbydancer

Thanks for the replies. I've done some searching on remotes, and learned something new. I wasn't aware there were more than two codes. My reading of the various threads indicates that the Roamio actually uses a RF signal rather than IR, so wouldn't control the HD or III. On the other hand, I should set the IR on to something other than 1 or 2 so that their remotes won't control it. A dumb question - I gather I use the same technique to set the code on the Roamio as I did on the other two. If I set it to 3 both the remote and the tivo will know it's on 3 (I always thought that the 1/2 switch on the remotes I have required one tivo on 1 and the other on 2).

In the current setup one tivo is on wireless, the other wire. Both can see each other. Will the Roamio be visible to transfer if I use it's built in wireless? I saw something on the spec page about some things not working via wireless.

By the way, I have a new cable card waiting for the Tivo to arrive on Friday.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post

In the current setup one tivo is on wireless, the other wire. Both can see each other. Will the Roamio be visible to transfer if I use it's built in wireless? I saw something on the spec page about some things not working via wireless.

Thanks!
I would avoid setting up the Roamio on wireless if you're planning to switch to wired. I made that mistake and it cost me a day trying to "turn off" the wireless. I was getting lots of packet loss until I managed to get that straightened out.

Wired or wireless, your Roamio should be able to see the other 2 Tivos so long as the MAK matches on all 3. Be prepared for it to take some hours for the Roamio to see both other models *and* allow transfer. I wasted some time troubleshooting the reason that my Roamio saw both my other Tivos but wouldn't let me transfer anything. Waiting was the cure. (Rebooting might have helped also.) Bottom line is that if you set the Roamio up completely and can patiently wait a day or so, you should find things work pretty well.

Hope this helps.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
abbydancer

Update - got the Roamio, and while there are some issues around other things, what I asked about here is good.

I was (with problems see my new thread) able to transfer, but just decided I don't need to do that.

I was able to assign the remote to to a different code on it's IR, and now each is unique and nobody is controlling anyone else. So now it's just a matter of picking up the right remote - harder than it sounds

I got a new cable card for it.

So I think, since my TV has 3 HDMI inputs, that I'll leave all three connected, and, once my assorted issues get worked out, put all new content on the Roamio and watch down the the other 2. (The HD's cable line is now on the Roamio, so I'll probably return that cable card. Maybe keep the 2 S cards in the Series 3 - we'll see).

Thanks for all the suggestions here.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I would avoid setting up the Roamio on wireless if you're planning to switch to wired. I made that mistake and it cost me a day trying to "turn off" the wireless. I was getting lots of packet loss until I managed to get that straightened out.
Could you elaborate a little on this. I may need to do the same.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Could you elaborate a little on this. I may need to do the same.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...27#post9883727
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Thanks, Don't know how I missed that when I initially tried searching to see if you posted anything about it. My Roamio Pro is being delivered on Tuesday and I have been reading trying to get ahead of any problems I may have. I was initially going to do wireless and eventually go to wired so I could do streaming. Now I think I will just run the wire before Tuesday to avoid that issue, even though you do have a solution.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote