TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
WVZR1

Comcast Cable-Card question?

Will my XL4 with my "cable-card" work on an outlet on the "same NODE" in the community or does the "cable-card' actually only see a signal from the drop of "my address"?
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
HDRyder9

In my experience with Comcast, the cable card will work anywhere that is serviced by the same head end. Give it a try. It won't hurt anything.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
In my experience with Comcast, the cable card will work anywhere that is serviced by the same head end. Give it a try. It won't hurt anything.
So your thoughts are that it just wants to be "in the vicinity" so to speak. Interesting thought and that's actually what I wanted ti hear but if it was going to be a "potential NO" and someone could confirm that I thought it worth the ask.

I don't know that it's what I'll do but it would mean I could at least have my TiVo rather than rely on just an HD box.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Bigg

What are you trying to do?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
TiVoTJung

im pretty sure that the cable card would work anywhere but comcast would probably know if you are moving around. the cable card would probably get a different ip address then if it were at your home.
TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoTJung View Post
im pretty sure that the cable card would work anywhere but comcast would probably know if you are moving around. the cable card would probably get a different ip address then if it were at your home.
I don't know what an IP address would have to do with anything regarding the "general purpose" service of a cable-carded TiVo. Perhaps if a person attempted to use "On demand". TiVo would certainly see the different IP but that's inconsequential I would think so long as the TiVo is "subscribed" which it's actually a "life-timed" Premier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
What are you trying to do?
Move my TiVo temporarily to another residence that is certainly on the same "head-end" but also on the same service "node"! It will likely be at the other address for maybe 2 months.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I don't know what an IP address would have to do with anything regarding the "general purpose" service of a cable-carded TiVo. Perhaps if a person attempted to use "On demand". TiVo would certainly see the different IP but that's inconsequential I would think so long as the TiVo is "subscribed" which it's actually a "life-timed" Premier.

Move my TiVo temporarily to another residence that is certainly on the same "head-end" but also on the same service "node"! It will likely be at the other address for maybe 2 months.
Could you just legit move the service? I guess see if it works, and if it doesn't move it officially.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote