TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
lynn02

Roamio Plus set up-Tuning adapter

I tried setting up my Roamio Plus tonight. Called Tivo activated it and called my cable company (Time Warner) to activate the cable card. I was told everything is fine. It's been stuck on acquiring channels for about 2 hours. I called Time Warner back and talked to another rep that says I should have gotten a Tuning adapter and that is why it is stuck at acquiring channels at 50%. Is there anything else I should know before going after the Tuning Adapter?
lynn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
59er
TiVotee

I just set up my Roamio Pro on Tuesday night, and didn't add the tuning adapter until after I activated the cable card and got the box up and running (with many channels coming in just fine).
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
TScottTX

I believe your guide is populated via your internet connection, not via the cable connection. Check to see if you are actually connected.
TScottTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
tatergator1

Getting stuck on "Acquiring Channels" has come up a few times in the past. In two situations I recall, the issues were: improperly provisioned CableCard and a "trap" still on the users cable line (a trap is installed by the cable company to prevent users with only Internet service from getting the unencrypted TV channels for free).

Have you had TV service from Time Warner previously? Used a Tivo with CableCard in the past?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Getting stuck on "Acquiring Channels" has come up a few times in the past. In two situations I recall, the issues were: improperly provisioned CableCard and a "trap" still on the users cable line (a trap is installed by the cable company to prevent users with only Internet service from getting the unencrypted TV channels for free).

Have you had TV service from Time Warner previously? Used a Tivo with CableCard in the past?
I had the exact same thing happen and it was because I still had a trap on my cable from the street. Since I only had internet and phone on TWC and not cable TV, they didn't take off the trap (when they were scheduled to do so).
It took DAYS and many hours on the phone with TWC before someone was able to figure that out. I'm still sore about all the hours I wasted on the phone.
When a TWC came out the second time and hooked up his scope to the line he was able to tell immediately.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
lynn02

I have cable tv and internet with them.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn02 View Post
I tried setting up my Roamio Plus tonight. Called Tivo activated it and called my cable company (Time Warner) to activate the cable card. I was told everything is fine. It's been stuck on acquiring channels for about 2 hours. I called Time Warner back and talked to another rep that says I should have gotten a Tuning adapter and that is why it is stuck at acquiring channels at 50%. Is there anything else I should know before going after the Tuning Adapter?
How's the cables set up for the Tivo & tuning adapter? Are you using the split out of the back of the tuning adapter or do you have a 2-way split at the wall to the Tuning Adapter and to the Tivo?

I think that the tuning adapter isn't paired correctly to the CableCard and they should re-pair to the Tivo. Has power-cycling the TA fixed any issues?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
lynn02

I ended up getting it set up. I had a bad coax cable and didn't need the tuning adapter. It took a lot of calls but it's finally set up.