TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 AM   #91
Ruth
Now with toddler

Who is Nicholas sleeping with? How has he stuck around this long?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #92
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Who is Nicholas sleeping with? How has he stuck around this long?
They must all be afraid of him. Like he'll "go postal" if they eliminate him or something. I can't figure out why he's still there either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #93
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
Man, Roy Choi is kind of mean. 20 minutes to conceive, and cook a dish and make it awesome like he wanted it to just isn't enough time.
He struck me as a guy who probably thinks a game show is beneath him. After all, he single-handedly re-invented the food truck! He was acting like an arrogant jerk IMO.

Check out
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #94
cherry ghost

Quote:
Man, Roy Choi is kind of mean.
You're being too nice. He was a complete d**k.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #95
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Re Roy Choi. Yes, he was a dick but I think that was a total set-up. He went on about putting your voice into it, which shock of shocks leads into the theme for the elimination challenge. I remember thinking at the time how contrived and ham-fistedly executed that was.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #96
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Re Roy Choi. Yes, he was a dick but I think that was a total set-up. He went on about putting your voice into it, which shock of shocks leads into the theme for the elimination challenge. I remember thinking at the time how contrived and ham-fistedly executed that was.
Yeah, this ^

I was hoping Nicholas would get the boot, but I just knew going in that the other guy would be cut.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #97
sharkster

Ugh! I can't believe Nicholas is STILL there. I sure hope he doesn't win. I really thought he was the one they were going to send home THIS time.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #98
jradosh
Newlywed

I really wanted him gone too.

Check out
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #99
nmiller855

When the comment was made about how elementary Nicholas' lack of salt was, I was hoping he was finally a goner. He must be very close to someone on the staff. If he wins, I'll be disappointed.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #100
Agatha Mystery

Shirley's been coming on strong. It's going to be between her and Nina, unless Louis gets back in through LCK. Nicholas keeps trying to impress with his skills but seems to leave something out or makes it too complex. I don't think a few grains of salt (which was how it was put) was going to send him home. I'm guessing Carlos's cold tamale was worse off. And it could be that the sauce for the fish was enough seasoning when eaten WITH the fish, rather than just the fish alone.

Nicholas seemed like the bad guy by not falling on his sword and giving up immunity. However, others haven't been asked to give it up, so it seemed really unfair. Someone possibly sabotaged him with the overly hot oven, and Carlos threw him under the bus, claiming he stole an oven, and then treated Nicholas's knife poorly. I never understood why Carlos's knife wasn't sharp. Everything I've heard about chefs is that they are extremely anal about their knives and how sharp they are. Carlos somehow seems to have missed that gene.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #101
Cainebj

I was happy Carlos got the boot.
No matter what Nick's problems over the last few weeks Carlos is just is not on the same level.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #102
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I have a feeling Nina wins, but if it's Shirley it won't trouble me.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #103
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I have a feeling Nina wins, but if it's Shirley it won't trouble me.
Either one would be fine with me, but I hope it's Nina a little more. I think she has been just a bit more on the top of the challenges.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #104
lambertman
Not single!

Side note for those who want even more Top Chef, albeit in Spanish: Top Chef Estrellas starts Feb 16 on Telemundo.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...emundo/231298/

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #105
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Side note for those who want even more Top Chef, albeit in Spanish: Top Chef Estrellas starts Feb 16 on Telemundo.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...emundo/231298/
Ooo... I'll have to set an SP for that Thanks for the tip

Check out
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #106
Big Deficit
Happy now?

And since there's no resolution in the final last chance kitchen, there's really no reason (if there ever was) to fire up the ol' web browser for a look.

I didn't care if Nick or Carlos went this week, I don't see either winning. Louis OTH, if he wins the final LCK might!

Maybe just my perception, but in past seasons when a chef cooked one style too may times, the judges chided them and even penalize them. Carlos has almost exclusively cooked Mexican all season and with the exception of some comments from other contestants, not a peep from the judges. That said, I'm a Mexican cuisine fan, so I'd still love to taste his cooking!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #107
Ruth
Now with toddler

This thing has been between Nina and Shirley from day 1.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #108
sharkster

UGH! I'm not even going to watch the finale. I already deleted it from my to do list. I'll root for her, though, because I cannot stand the thought of him winning.

I had hoped the final two would be Shirley and the guy who came back from last chance.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #109
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Yeah, I was rather shocked Nick made it.

The oddest thing about this has been running into Stephanie Cmar three times during this season, and you can tell that she's frustrated with not being able to talk about things that haven't aired yet.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #110
Agatha Mystery

I'm not horribly shocked Nick made it. He had time between the end of the NO portion of the season and Hawaii that he had time to work on some of his negatives. When his problem has been under seasoning, he most likely worked on that portion of his palate. That's really only been his downfall.

Shirley made stuff too sweet without something to counterbalance that. Louis didn't evenly cook his fish. I'm guessing Nick's stuff was just better. They don't look at the whole body of work, just the last meal.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #111
sharkster

Quote:
I'm not horribly shocked Nick made it. He had time between the end of the NO portion of the season and Hawaii that he had time to work on some of his negatives. When his problem has been under seasoning, he most likely worked on that portion of his palate. That's really only been his downfall.

Shirley made stuff too sweet without something to counterbalance that. Louis didn't evenly cook his fish. I'm guessing Nick's stuff was just better. They don't look at the whole body of work, just the last meal.
Yeah, you're right of course. I'm just pissed because I didn't want him to make it to the finale, because I cannot stand the guy. Good thing I'm not a judge, eh?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #112
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I am shocked Nick made it. Not only is has he not proven to be in the top tier throughout the season, but I figured he would choke in the end regardless. But it's been proven repeatedly the one mistake can trip up even the best chef and there's still a luck factor involved. That's how Stephanie, a 3rd or 4th at best in her season won while Blais lost. Nick may not be the best of the best when it comes to cooking this season, but considering how well he has done when he plays the executive chef role on the show? He's going to be very successful in the industry!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #113
LlamaLarry

Boo.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #114
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I think this is the crux of it. After all the effort it took Louis to get back in the game, his fish just was not right. I was rooting for him but when I heard one judge say it was cooked right and one say theirs was not, I knew he was out.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #115
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Rooting for Nina all the way now.

I was hoping for Shirley to make it as she seems to have progressed the farthest in the show and actually discovered her identity! I think she knew her dish was a little on the sweet side and I doubt she was totally surprised by the decision.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #116
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
I am shocked Nick made it. Not only is has he not proven to be in the top tier throughout the season, but I figured he would choke in the end regardless. But it's been proven repeatedly the one mistake can trip up even the best chef and there's still a luck factor involved. That's how Stephanie, a 3rd or 4th at best in her season won while Blais lost. Nick may not be the best of the best when it comes to cooking this season, but considering how well he has done when he plays the executive chef role on the show? He's going to be very successful in the industry!
I don't think Stephanie was 3rd or 4th best; I think she was 1st or 2nd best. And certainly compared to the chefs that year she has accomplished a lot since that season.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #117
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's right, Nick may not have been top tier, but he didn't mess up enough to get eliminated so that counts for something.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #118
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I also think Nick is adventurous and has a lot of interesting ideas. To me that's way more important that consistently cooking food you can get a many restaurants in most cities. In a "real" scenario, he'd have time to improve a recipe and taste it repeatedly and work out the kinks.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #119
pmyers

I hear Shirley "has found her identitiy".....I get it. Don't need to hear it 40 times in the past 2 episodes.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #120
Agatha Mystery

I think her saying she meant to do it that sweet was just a cover. They expect a balance, and her saying that it was intentional wasn't going to fly.