TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

From what's been said it's better then the Premiere but about the same as the S3. So if you have trouble getting channels on the S3 you'll likely have the same troubles with the Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
ilovedvrs

I just went from using a S3 for 7 years to the Roamio.

Seems the same to me
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Chesterton

Roamio OTA Fringe reception is a bit better

I've concluded that the Roamio's fringe reception is better than the Series 3 I had. I have two very directional fringe UHF antennas, one aimed at Austin (60 miles away) and one at San Anotonio (50 miles away). I've got some weak stations each direction, and they pixellate a lot less often than they did with the Series 3. The Roamio also picked up two stations that the Series 3 didn't.

That's impressive to me since the Roamio's input is shared by four tuners vs. the Series 3's two.
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #34
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterton View Post
I've concluded that the Roamio's fringe reception is better than the Series 3 I had.
That was my conclusion also. My writeup is here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508432

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
I just went from using a S3 for 7 years to the Roamio.

Seems the same to me
I went from a Premiere to a Roamio. I have less macroblocking on weak signals than I used to - except for ONE channel, which seems to have it more, but as a whole, it seems better.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Balzer

Note

Well, I have my Roamio now.
With the Premiere, I needed a signal booster in the line for my local Fox station to work. After setting up the Roamio, I disconnected the booster and Fox still comes in fine.
I still need the booster for a couple other distant channels though.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #37
Roamio_Tucson

Thank you Forum! Premiere to Roamio solved OTA issues

Based on this forum and this thread, I went from a Premiere with a Lifetime subscription to the Roamio for the monthly subscription and got to try it out last night. I can say with 100% certainty that the Roamio tuners are way better than the Premiere's and I couldn't be happier even though I am now paying a monthly fee again.

I went through 3 different antennas, several different splitters, on the roof on the cell phone to my wife making minor adjustments to the antenna height and angle before finally giving up on my Line of Sight towers that gave me clear signals to my TVs but not through the Tivo Premiere before I made the switch. I only use OTA so this makes the wife much happier when her shows don't pixelate!

Thanks for all the good feedback on this forum, it was very helpful.
Roamio_Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #38
Jeff_DML

I just recently upgraded from a Premier to Roamio for OTA. I am having multipath issues on one of my local channels. I was hoping the roamio would fix it but I am still having some issues. It seems improved and actually finding the 4 tuners useful. Anways I would say do not expect miracles upgrading to a roamio for reception issues. Guess that should be kind of obvious Up on the roof for me
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #39
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamio_Tucson View Post
Based on this forum and this thread, I went from a Premiere with a Lifetime subscription to the Roamio for the monthly subscription and got to try it out last night. I can say with 100% certainty that the Roamio tuners are way better than the Premiere's and I couldn't be happier even though I am now paying a monthly fee again.

I went through 3 different antennas, several different splitters, on the roof on the cell phone to my wife making minor adjustments to the antenna height and angle before finally giving up on my Line of Sight towers that gave me clear signals to my TVs but not through the Tivo Premiere before I made the switch. I only use OTA so this makes the wife much happier when her shows don't pixelate!

Thanks for all the good feedback on this forum, it was very helpful.
Get Lifetime. Monthly makes NO SENSE. Even if you resell it way before it pays for itself, you get the money back in the additional resale value.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #40
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I just recently upgraded from a Premier to Roamio for OTA. I am having multipath issues on one of my local channels. I was hoping the roamio would fix it but I am still having some issues. It seems improved and actually finding the 4 tuners useful. Anways I would say do not expect miracles upgrading to a roamio for reception issues. Guess that should be kind of obvious Up on the roof for me
I think that is a pretty good summary of my experience so far. I finally installed the Roamio (4-tuner basic, for OTA) that I bought a while back. In general it seems to do better than my 2-tuner Premiere, but not miraculously so. I tuned one weak, distant station on both, and the Roamio had a big burst of initial uncorrected errors (see below), but the Premiere's uncorrected error count surpassed it within a few minutes, and the picture, while still glitchy, was definitely more watchable on the Roamio.

The Roamio's software may be doing some housekeeping in foreground tasks (high priority) that should be handed off to interruptible background tasks (low priority). This could account for the bursts of errors when first tuning a station, and possibly for the glitching seen when using same-tuner overlap. After the initial burst of errors, the Roamio's counts of uncorrected errors sometimes increment so seldom that I wonder if they're being updated properly.

But the strangest thing is that I have yet to see any corrected errors counted by the Roamio for any station. Surely the chipset must be correcting some errors. Could the TiVo software be polling the wrong register or misinterpreting the data somehow? Has anyone else seen a corrected error counted by a 4-tuner Roamio's tuners? Has anyone seen corrected errors counted by a 6-tuner Roamio's tuners? Thanks for any insights.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #41
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Has anyone seen corrected errors counted by a 6-tuner Roamio's tuners? Thanks for any insights.
I have definitely seen counts for RS Corrected on my Roamio Plus. I rarely pay attention since my signal is generally 90-100 for my digital cable stations. I think I've seen one frame with minor pixelation in the last 6 weeks of use.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #42
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Has anyone else seen a corrected error counted by a 4-tuner Roamio's tuners?
I have the base model and have never seen corrected errors (and I should, I do see a few uncorrected ones). I mean, it's great that it's correcting them, but a little visibility would be helpful. Both counts give me an idea of how my signal strength is functioning over extended periods of time and weather.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #43
kucharsk

I can't say for performance, but on the signal strength meter the Roamio shows lower signal levels than my S3.

With the same cable, my S3 showed levels nearly maxed out on one or two of my channels that the Roamio shows as being in the low 80s, possibly because the incoming signal is now being split among more tuners.
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #44
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I went from a Premiere XL to a Roamio basic for OTA. We are about 40 miles from Mt Wilson where the LA TV towers are. If you draw a line from our location to Mt Wilson and then continue on the line comes close to Santa Barbara.

Not only does our Roamio receive every LA station rock solid, it even picked up a low power (and completely useless) station in Santa Barbara. The Google says it is a 146 mile drive to Santa Barbara, by direct line it must be well over 100 miles.

We do have an excellent location on top of a hill, and a rooftop directional "HD" antenna with mast mounted preamp. But I need all of that crap just to try to get my TiVo Premiere XL to maintain sync.

The Roamio has as good of an OTA ATSC tuner as I've ever used, it seems perfectly cromulant to me.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #45
hhh222

I've had an S3 for several years and basic roamio for about a week.
With signal levels on 5 channels of 91,92,96,96,96,82 on the S3
...............................................72,66,72,72,7 2,56 on the roamio

Had some breaking up on Letterman recorded on roamio last night. I'll have to do a bit more research to know what's what for sure.
hhh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #46
Jeff_DML

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh222 View Post
I've had an S3 for several years and basic roamio for about a week.
With signal levels on 5 channels of 91,92,96,96,96,82 on the S3
...............................................72,66,72,72,7 2,56 on the roamio

Had some breaking up on Letterman recorded on roamio last night. I'll have to do a bit more research to know what's what for sure.
signal level seem to be always different between series
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #47
DustSJC

OK, I just got the basic Roamio from weeKnees (w/ 2 TB instead of standard 500 GB. This is (was) meant to replace my TiVo Premier (with RF OTA input AND separate Comcast Cable input).

I open the box and, what the heck, there is only ONE RF screw on input. Surely there MUST be a way to have at least the same capability on a "newer" generation TiVos. I was crystal clear that I wanted whichever new Roamio handled BOTH inputs..as before with the Premier.

Does anyone have a work around or am I missing something? TiVo and weeKnees had both just closed when I came upon this conundrum. Any suggetions folsk?

Thanks..
DustSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #48
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustSJC View Post
OK, I just got the basic Roamio from weeKnees (w/ 2 TB instead of standard 500 GB. This is (was) meant to replace my TiVo Premier (with RF OTA input AND separate Comcast Cable input).

I open the box and, what the heck, there is only ONE RF screw on input. Surely there MUST be a way to have at least the same capability on a "newer" generation TiVos. I was crystal clear that I wanted whichever new Roamio handled BOTH inputs..as before with the Premier.

Does anyone have a work around or am I missing something? TiVo and weeKnees had both just closed when I came upon this conundrum. Any suggetions folsk?

Thanks..
Sorry no work around the Base Roamio can only do OTA OR cable, it can not do both at the same time like the dual tuner Premiere or Series 3 units.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #49
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustSJC View Post

Thanks..
The workaround is to use one unit for OTA and another unit for cable. It's definitely one of those what-were-they-thinking situations. But I suppose handling both together would complicate their software a bit.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
DustSJC

OK, so it's OTA OR Cable...sigh.

Hi folks,

Thanks for getting back to me on the Roamio single coax input. I guess I'll have to keep the Premier hooked up to the Comcast Cable and move the Premier's Roof antenna coax to the Roamio and dedicate that to local and OTA programs.

Is there anything to beware of vis-ŕ-vis TiVo programming, season pass selection(s) of shows on the Roamio even though it wont have a M-Card (since it's not going to connect to Comcast.)

Any tips or warnings will be greatly appreciated. Gonna' be a busy weekend :-)

dustSJC
DustSJC is offline   Reply With Quote