TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Punker1234

Has anyone had any luck with pricing?

Hey folks.

I've been a Tivo customers for years now, maybe approaching 7 years. I currently have a 3 series and a Premier that I love. I'm finding that I'll often need more than 2 tuners for sports and prime time shows, so I thought about upgrading.

I received an offer in the mail which isn't horrible, essentially $750 for lifetime and a Plus model. However, that's still 750 bucks plus taxes without an extended warranty (standard should be 3 years for that kind of money). Now, I could of course sell one of my existing models to offset some of the costs, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any sales reps.

Any luck on negotiating pricing? Or an extended warranty? Has ANYONE ever been able to transfer a lifetime service or at least get it discounted?

Any tips or tricks in this area would help. Thanks everyone. -Jeff
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
mattack

*ever*? Yes, long in the past, there have been a few lifetime "transfer" offers.

But they don't do it anymore. The only thing they offer nowadays is for *monthly* older Tivos to sometimes get $99 lifetime, to stop them from being unsubscribed. I'm not sure why they do that, actually.. It just increases the sales price for people getting rid of old Tivos..

Basically, they don't negotiate on price.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
*ever*? Yes, long in the past, there have been a few lifetime "transfer" offers.

But they don't do it anymore. The only thing they offer nowadays is for *monthly* older Tivos to sometimes get $99 lifetime, to stop them from being unsubscribed. I'm not sure why they do that, actually.. It just increases the sales price for people getting rid of old Tivos..

Basically, they don't negotiate on price.
I wonder if they would throw in an extended warranty for me. The offer I received expires tomorrow, so I feel the urge to pull the trigger. I know some people have gotten some deals before (like lifetime for $300), but it varies.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
kucharsk

Bought my Roamio Basic at Amazon for $149, and despite having my S3 with lifetime since 2006, was only offered lifetime for the Roamio for $399.
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Punker1234

Yea, it's all seems a little different for everyone. I got an offer for Roamio Plus for $750, which is essentially lifetime for 350, not shabby. But I was hoping for cheaper :/

I have a premier, but I'd love 6 tuners and more than 75 hours of HD. Plus I heard the interface is a lot faster, might be worth it...
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
PMDMT5

I own an old series 2 with lifetime, an HDXL, and just bought a Roamio (for $325). I wanted them to transfer the lifetime to my new Roamio, as the series 2 is useless - the only reason it was hooked up was for MSD. They would not budge on transferring it to the Roamio, which was no surprise. However, they did relent and transfer it to the HDXL for $99. They also allowed me to keep the monthly service pricing, $9.99, for the Roamio. I've been a TiVo customer for over 10+ years, don't know if that played into their decision or not! though.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

You probably had service monthly on the HDXL for over three years- that seems to be the hurtle to get $99 when purchasing a roamio.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

They probably would have transferred the 9.99 to the roamio and given you the 99 lifetime deal on the HDXL anyway without "transferring" it from the Series 2. Then you still would have had a Series 2 with lifetime that you could have sold on ebay. Now, without the lifetime on it, the Series 2 is almost worthless.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDMT5 View Post
I own an old series 2 with lifetime, an HDXL, and just bought a Roamio (for $325). I wanted them to transfer the lifetime to my new Roamio, as the series 2 is useless - the only reason it was hooked up was for MSD. They would not budge on transferring it to the Roamio, which was no surprise. However, they did relent and transfer it to the HDXL for $99. They also allowed me to keep the monthly service pricing, $9.99, for the Roamio. I've been a TiVo customer for over 10+ years, don't know if that played into their decision or not! though.
They didn't "Transfer" anything, they just gave you $99 lifetime on the HDXL, as I and others have mentioned in this very thread.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
ohboy710

I negotiated - kind of. Couldn't get money off the box but they credited me a few months of service to offset the cost of the new unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ohboy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
aridon

You can get some codes on ebay for the Pro with warranty / shipping for around that price you quoted. I don't sell those codes but did buy one and they do work perfectly.

Not sure if its worth if after buying the code and such. I had no such offer so around $750 for pro, life time, warranty, tax and shipping was much better than $1100+ tivo wanted.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote