TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
natallica

Lightbulb Mac2TiVo fail - easiest way to get Divx AVI files to TiVo?

Hi everyone -

Until now I haven't tried getting any .avi files encoded with Divx to my TiVo Elite, but it always worked with my dual-tuner S2 and Toast 10.

I just tried doing it for the first time to my Elite and Mac2TiVo wasn't working well so I bit the bullet and bought Toast 11 for the newer Mac2TiVo. Now, it actually runs on my Mac (OS 10.8.5), but I can't get it to properly transfer any .avi files.

The TiVo sees the shared folder and the file I want to transfer. I can start the transfer and the file shows up in My Shows with a blue ring next to it, but the front of the TiVo never has the blue transfer light come on and it never seems to transfer anything.

I have tried rebooting the TiVo and restarting the server in Mac2TiVo with no joy.

Is there a way to get this setup working or should I look for a different solution? What would be another option to transfer files without first transcoding them or is transcoding the best option?

Thanks!

-- N
natallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
natallica

Okay. I discovered PyTivoX, but it looks like it cannot stream to the Elite but I can transfer the files.

Is there any tool that can stream from the Mac or PC to the TiVo Elite?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Use PyTivo, PyTivoX is outdated.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
natallica

Okay. I will go figure out how to get PyTivo on my Mac.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

While pyTivoX is dated, it's also true that there's nothing special about the Elite. Any version of pyTivo, including the ones bundled with pyTivoX, should be able to talk with any Series 2 or later standalone TiVo. (Very old versions of pyTivo will fail to recognize some newer models as HD, and will fall back to sending video as SD. But that's the only issue.)

Now, when you say it can't stream to the Elite, but can transfer files, I assume you mean that transfers work in both directions? The streaming part of pyTivoX is actually provided by Streambaby, an entirely separate project from pyTivo. If that's not working, upgrading pyTivo won't help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
natallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Now, when you say it can't stream to the Elite, but can transfer files, I assume you mean that transfers work in both directions? The streaming part of pyTivoX is actually provided by Streambaby, an entirely separate project from pyTivo. If that's not working, upgrading pyTivo won't help.
I can transfer files from my Mac to the Elite. I don't see an option to watch by streaming instead of transferring.

My understanding was that PyTivoX would not work for me because Streambaby supported TiVo HD and Series 3 and the Premiere Elite was considered Series 4?

I was just wondering if there was any solution out there for streaming video from the Mac to a Series 4 TiVo?

I apologize for my ignorance regarding these matters, but I haven't tried moving files from the Mac to the TiVo since my Series 2 DT!

Thanks!

Last edited by natallica : 01-30-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added a thought...
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
natallica

Nevermind. I got it working. I was looking in the wrong place on the Elite for the app!

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

I use Stream baby with my macpro. I set up a couple directories on my macPro that I copy the .avi files into. Then I can go downstairs to the TIVO Roamio and, just like my old TIVOHD, I look under Apps for Stream baby, start it up and I can stream movies or whatever the avi file is to my TIVO and through my HD Surround system! Way cool!

Oh - about 43 min in, it will pause for a second, say "Buffering", then load another chunk of the show/movie/whatever.
Works with Divx files and even MKV files - tho network speed can be an issue with such higher bitrate videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natallica View Post
Hi everyone -

Until now I haven't tried getting any .avi files encoded with Divx to my TiVo Elite, but it always worked with my dual-tuner S2 and Toast 10.

I just tried doing it for the first time to my Elite and Mac2TiVo wasn't working well so I bit the bullet and bought Toast 11 for the newer Mac2TiVo. Now, it actually runs on my Mac (OS 10.8.5), but I can't get it to properly transfer any .avi files.

The TiVo sees the shared folder and the file I want to transfer. I can start the transfer and the file shows up in My Shows with a blue ring next to it, but the front of the TiVo never has the blue transfer light come on and it never seems to transfer anything.

I have tried rebooting the TiVo and restarting the server in Mac2TiVo with no joy.

Is there a way to get this setup working or should I look for a different solution? What would be another option to transfer files without first transcoding them or is transcoding the best option?

Thanks!

-- N

thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote