TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #91
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
They probably went elsewhere with that topic of discussion thinking that most people in this thread were incapable of such a conversation. I know I did. "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad" and what not.
So, your claim is that the pessimists with poor judgment avoided making posts discussing the show without mentioning nudity, but instead made posts complaining about what other people wanted to discuss about the show.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #92
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
So, your claim is that the pessimists with poor judgment avoided making posts discussing the show without mentioning nudity, but instead made posts complaining about what other people wanted to discuss about the show.
Seems like good judgment to me, based on your rabid defense of the discussion of ogling nude women in a supposedly family-friendly and female-friendly forum.

I would think of it more like, "this conversation seems inappropriate and makes me want to discuss this show elsewhere."
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #93
john4200

Quote:
Seems like good judgment to me, based on your rabid defense of the discussion of ogling nude women in a supposedly family-friendly and female-friendly forum.
Rabid defense?

Some people were discussing what was shown in this program that this thread is about. If people watched the show, it is absurd to imply that discussing something that was in the show is somehow not family-friendly or female-friendly. As for the latter, I'm pretty sure that most women have seen breasts and discussed breasts, so I don't see the problem.

If you want to censor discussion about breasts, feel free to start your own breast-free thread. I'll certainly refrain from talking about breasts in your thread (assuming it is clearly labeled).

By the way, your continuing posts on this subject are increasing the discussion about it. If you want to minimize the discussion of breasts, then you would be better off just posting about what you do want to discuss. That would demonstrate good judgment.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #94
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Some people were discussing what was shown in this program that this thread is about. If people watched the show, it is absurd to imply that discussing something that was in the show is somehow not family-friendly or female-friendly. As for the latter, I'm pretty sure that most women have seen breasts and discussed breasts, so I don't see the problem.
Yeah, I agree, you don't see the problem. I've been trying to point it out, but given your history in these threads, I am not hopeful that you specifically will get it or acknowledge it. I was hoping that others might. We shall see...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #95
john4200

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, you don't see the problem. I've been trying to point it out, but given your history in these threads, I am not hopeful that you specifically will get it or acknowledge it.
That is because there is no problem. Except for people who believe they know better than others what is permissible for people to talk about.

And you still haven't given us your guidelines for what you will allow us to talk about, and what you will prohibit us from talking about.

How can we follow your rules if you don't tell us what you will permit us to do and what you will not allow us to do?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #96
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Then again, nobody talks like anybody talks in TV shows or movies...if TV actors spoke with the ums & ers, the stops and starts, the incomplete sentences, etc., that normal people use without thinking about it, it would drive us crazy.

All television dialogue is very stylized. Some writers just go for it more than others (Aaron Sorkin, e.g.).
Granted. But some shows succeed in making it seem like normal people WOULD talk like that. Sorkin and this show do not do that. Which is ok. I like it. So I'm not complaining. I still think Deadwood is one of the top 5 shows of all time, for example.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #97
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
I assume you don't like Sorkin, either? You would think he gets paid per word.

Again, I like both and enjoy deep meaning of life conversations much more then mindless car chases or dating shows, for example.
I do like Sorkin, but yeah, he gets a bit wordy as well. Part of the problem here is that I find that the characters are hard to understand as well, so I find I have to turn on CC to catch everything, so it becomes more like reading a book than a TV show, especially since there's very little going on except conversation quite often.

I'm not a fan of mindless car chases and definitely not dating shows, but I'm also a fan of the story moving on and not some endless exposition.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #98
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Granted. But some shows succeed in making it seem like normal people WOULD talk like that. Sorkin and this show do not do that. Which is ok. I like it. So I'm not complaining. I still think Deadwood is one of the top 5 shows of all time, for example.
Right, my point is just that the people who are complaining about "unrealistic dialog" don't seem to realize that this applies to everything. It's just a question of whether the writer wants to cling to the illusion of "realistic dialog," or embrace the artificiality of it and make the most of it.

Of course, both can work. And of course, both aren't to all tastes. But to claim that "realistic dialog" exists in TV shows is, well, unrealistic.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #99
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Right, my point is just that the people who are complaining about "unrealistic dialog" don't seem to realize that this applies to everything. It's just a question of whether the writer wants to cling to the illusion of "realistic dialog," or embrace the artificiality of it and make the most of it.

Of course, both can work. And of course, both aren't to all tastes. But to claim that "realistic dialog" exists in TV shows is, well, unrealistic.
I would think of the perfect retort here but for the fact that I live in the real world!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #100
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I would think of the perfect retort here but for the fact that I live in the real world!
I'm so sorry...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #101
VegasVic
Craps Player

Alexandra Daddario topless. Stunning. If that makes me a 13 year old boy so be it.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #102
cherry ghost

Episode 4 - Who Goes there

Another great episode, especially the second half.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #103
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Another great episode, especially the second half.
Cohle really knows how to stir up a hornet's nest. That was a great scene with the attempted drug heist (stash boobie-trapped with a grenade!) and then the getaway.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #104
VegasVic
Craps Player

Things sure ramped up this week, holy cow. Still four to go, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #105
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Those meth-head bikers must have been historically high if they thought wearing cop uniforms would make them look like anything but meth-head bikers wearing cop uniforms...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #106
markp99
TakoKichi

I was mostly lost in this episode. I think is was partly due to Cohle's monotone speaking, always just above a whisper. I had a hard time understanding him or the intent of this week's plot.

I was totally IN on this program, but now I don;t feel compelled to go back a re-watch this episode. Maybe was a time of day/mood thing for me...
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #107
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Pure entertainment! The low talking is a bit of a pita, but I'll get over that if they can continue to deliver this level of quality programming.

I cracked up when they were in the bar talking about WH's divorce et. al. and MM says "you can't spot crazy pu$$y when you see it!" lol.....

Hard to believe they have to wrap this up in only 4 more shows. Can't wait!

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #108
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

I read on another forum that the last scene of the latest episode was one continual shot, no editing.

SteadyCam following Cohle and the red headed biker from the stash house, through the projects, even through other houses then over the fence.

They did shoot it multiple times with places they could do an edit if needed, but ended up using one of the continual shots.

I rewatched that scene to see if I could spot the possible edit points, realizing what an excellent piece of cinematography it was.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #109
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Cohle really knows how to stir up a hornet's nest. That was a great scene with the attempted drug heist (stash boobie-trapped with a grenade!) and then the getaway.
which is monumentally stupid since you also blow up your cash...you put a trap on the FAKE hiding place!

I did not like this episode (and I love this show). I can't believe anyone can be on the ball after ingesting so much (and so many different) powerful drugs. It was all a bit too much.

I did like how Cohle pointed out that he was banging a younger version of his wife. I also think he is right on the money that his wife will take him back in a couple of months.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #110
john4200

Quote:
which is monumentally stupid since you also blow up your cash...you put a trap on the FAKE hiding place!
There was a safe there too, but it did not look like he opened it. I suppose a safe might be grenade-proof.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #111
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

about ep5 last night - was anyone else wondering where the "tall man with a scarred face" was after they finished raiding the suspects and rescuing the young girl? why didn't they notice or even question the missing suspect that was witnessed and described by dora's revival tent church friends?

sure, they are still leading us to cohle's ongoing search for "the yellow king", but to start celebrating and close the case after the raid without a mention? this has been the first major plot fail for me - did i miss something?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #112
john4200

Ledoux fit the description close-enough for government work. He was certainly tall, and his face did have some marks.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #113
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

I just can't get enough of this show. It's the best thing on TV imo.

Loved the latest ep. I have no idea where this is going and that's what I like most about it. I hate a show where they're trying to keep the conclusion under wraps but it's obvious none the less where it's heading - that or they pull an Agatha Christie dump new clues and characters in the final scene then wrap it up. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #114
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

SO may general take.

Matthew & Woody are current day being interviewed about their history together and about the wood stick figure killer. Aka YELLOW KING.

New cops suspect something is up with Matthew since he has been seen at current day crime scenes, and pushed case in direction of suspects he may have had ties with?

The history being told is based on some lies to cover up some of the BS that went down back in the day.

Ledoux was thought to be the killer but years later it seems he was not the killer and that there may be some major conspiracy going on here (task force, prisoner killing himself, etc..)

After prisoners death Matthew is still searching for killer.
Got that all right so far for the most part?

Going forward Matthew continues to look for the Yellow King even though the cops think he may be the killer or involved somehow?

I still don't know how they ended up pinning Ledoux for the crimes. Missed how he was all connected...
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #115
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Going forward Matthew continues to look for the Yellow King even though the cops think he may be the killer or involved somehow?
yes, i figure that's one of his reasons for the bar job with the apartment out back - it allows him to continue the search (and drinking).

i also suspect his investigation and related evidence is laid out in the storage building he refused to let them search - it would only give them more of a case that he's the killer, when in fact he's only guilty of still searching.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #116
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

They seem to be trying very hard to steer us to think they are after MM for something.

While he does say some weird sh*t, I think the real loose cannon here is WH.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #117
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
They seem to be trying very hard to steer us to think they are after MM for something.

While he does say some weird sh*t, I think the real loose cannon here is WH.
There is no doubt. WH is the one who killed the guy in cold blood and is out to lunch with his family.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #118
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
There is no doubt. WH is the one who killed the guy in cold blood and is out to lunch with his family.
Yeah, and the one that has no problem beating up a guy on a date with his mistress!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #119
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I still don't know how they ended up pinning Ledoux for the crimes. Missed how he was all connected...
Ledoux was the boyfriend of the girl who got killed years ago (they talked to her grandfather in his fishing boat). He was also the cellmate of the guy who was married to Dora (the current victim). He had 2 children bound and captive in his place where he made meth. One of the children was dead. it wasn't difficult to say "got our man" and close the case at that point.

I could be wrong about many things here...that's just the way I recall things...
Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #120
cherry ghost

Good article here about the show and a bit of info on Carcosa and The King in Yellow

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...rue-detective/
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote