Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #121
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
But it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where Fox and Marvel, or Marvel and Sony, come to an agreement on a joint movie. If the money is good enough, they'd do it.
Not impossible, but never gonna happen.

The problem is, by making an Avengers/X-Men movie, they make a bajillion bucks and split it 50-50. By making an Avengers movie, they make a bajillion bucks and keep it all.

I just don't see a joint movie being more than twice as profitable, which is really what it would take to entice them into a deal.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #122
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Not impossible, but never gonna happen.

The problem is, by making an Avengers/X-Men movie, they make a bajillion bucks and split it 50-50. By making an Avengers movie, they make a bajillion bucks and keep it all.

I just don't see a joint movie being more than twice as profitable, which is really what it would take to entice them into a deal.
The one scenario in which I could see a joint project happening is one in which Marvel was buying back rights to properties currently held by Sony or 20th Century Fox, and the joint project was a part of the transition agreement. That would give the selling studio a share of one last payday.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #123
Ereth

Everybody thought this would never happen, either...

Every so often, the stars align just right, and miracles happen.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #124
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
The one scenario in which I could see a joint project happening is one in which Marvel was buying back rights to properties currently held by Sony or 20th Century Fox, and the joint project was a part of the transition agreement. That would give the selling studio a share of one last payday.
Except I doubt Sony or Fox would ever sell. Why would they? These are HUGE properties, and the price for keeping them forever is quite small. I don't think Disney could afford to buy them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post

That wasn't a miracle; that was an obvious, no-lose scenario. The only "miracle" was that there were people at both companies who were willing to put aside their differences and take advantage of the obvious, no-lose scenario. E.g., as long as Joe Quesada matters at Marvel, DC will never co-publish...because they hate Quesada with a fiery passion (not entirely without cause, but still, they're willing to leave a little money on the table to spite him).

The movie world is very different, where the potential profits from an X-Men movie are probably more than Marvel has made on X-Men comics in 50 years. Fox ain't gonna give up half of that.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #125
john4200

Quote:
No, that logic is flawed. If they were truly 50% partners, then they would share in the costs as well as any profits. So, while each partner would only get 50% of the profits, they would also only need to invest 50% as much to produce the movie. Which is the same as just producing a lower budget movie (lower costs, lower projected profits).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #126
Ereth

Quote:
Except I doubt Sony or Fox would ever sell. Why would they? These are HUGE properties, and the price for keeping them forever is quite small. I don't think Disney could afford to buy them back.

That wasn't a miracle; that was an obvious, no-lose scenario. The only "miracle" was that there were people at both companies who were willing to put aside their differences and take advantage of the obvious, no-lose scenario. E.g., as long as Joe Quesada matters at Marvel, DC will never co-publish...because they hate Quesada with a fiery passion (not entirely without cause, but still, they're willing to leave a little money on the table to spite him).

The movie world is very different, where the potential profits from an X-Men movie are probably more than Marvel has made on X-Men comics in 50 years. Fox ain't gonna give up half of that.
How about JLA/Avengers then? Was never supposed to see the light of day, but I have a hardbound copy of it on my bookshelf.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #127
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
How about JLA/Avengers then? Was never supposed to see the light of day, but I have a hardbound copy of it on my bookshelf.
Same thing. There was a very narrow window of opportunity (between when Quesada took over Marvel, and when he started routinely bad-mouthing DC) when both companies were willing to go for it.

Which is why it took twenty years.

And again, this is comics, where the outlay is small and the potential profits are even smaller. Not movies, where the outlay is big and the potential profits are bigger than some GNPs, and every inch of it has to be negotiated and then verified against the efforts of the most creative accountants on Earth (didja know the Lord of the Rings movies never "turned a profit"?).
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #128
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

After reading that, a lot of people wished it never happened.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #129
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Didn't Quesada go out to form Valiant for a while? What happened to Image?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #130
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Didn't Quesada go out to form Valiant for a while?
You're thinking of Jim Shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
What happened to Image?
They're still around, publishing books.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #131
Ereth

Quote:
Same thing. There was a very narrow window of opportunity (between when Quesada took over Marvel, and when he started routinely bad-mouthing DC) when both companies were willing to go for it.

Which is why it took twenty years.

And again, this is comics, where the outlay is small and the potential profits are even smaller. Not movies, where the outlay is big and the potential profits are bigger than some GNPs, and every inch of it has to be negotiated and then verified against the efforts of the most creative accountants on Earth (didja know the Lord of the Rings movies never "turned a profit"?).
Actually, I did. With accountants that creative, you'd think they could find a way. If you are going to lose money anyway.....

Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #132
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

IF a team up gets made, the decision is going to be made much higher up the ladder than the respective heads of Marvel and DC. Marvel answers to Disney these days, and DC answers to Time-Warner. And if Disney and Time-Warner thinks there's money to be made, they'll make a deal. When it comes to something like a major film franchise investment, the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #133
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
IF a team up gets made, the decision is going to be made much higher up the ladder than the respective heads of Marvel and DC. Marvel answers to Disney these days, and DC answers to Time-Warner. And if Disney and Time-Warner thinks there's money to be made, they'll make a deal. When it comes to something like a major film franchise investment, the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Well, we're talking about two different kinds of team-ups. The Marvel-DC team-ups are comic books; the movie team-ups are all Marvel characters, but ones whose rights are held by different studios (Fox=X-Men & Fantastic Four; Sony=Spider-Man; Marvel Studios=everybody else). So for an X-Men/Avengers movie to happen, it's the people at Marvel Studios and Fox who would have to get together, agree on how the production will happen and who will pay for what, fight over every dime of it, and how the profits will be divvied up, and fight over every dime of that. Or just go ahead and make their separate Avengers and X-Men movies, and rake in the millions unencumbered.

I see absolutely no chance of a Marvel-DC movie happening. Ever. That would be the very definition of brand dilution, on both sides.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #134
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I see absolutely no chance of a Marvel-DC movie happening. Ever. That would be the very definition of brand dilution, on both sides.
Never say never.

Who'd have thought (back in the 90's) that Mario and Sonic would be in a single game together, let alone a series of games?

Who'd of thought there would ever be a Disney animated movie with both Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in it, let alone in the same scene interacting with each other?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #135
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Never say never.
I would never in a million years say "never."

Except when it comes to DC and Marvel characters co-featured in the same movie.

And saying "never."

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #136
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:

And saying "never."

I thought I might get you with The Lego Movie, but it looks like that one only has DC characters in it. It does have Star Wars characters in it, too, which are owned by Disney, which owns Marvel -- does that count?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #137
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I thought I might get you with The Lego Movie, but it looks like that one only has DC characters in it. It does have Star Wars characters in it, too, which are owned by Disney, which owns Marvel -- does that count?
Heh.

I carefully said "co-featured," by which I meant a Superman/Spider-Man movie, not a Superman movie in which Spider-Man has a guest appearance or vice-versa (which I still don't think will ever happen, but I'll never say "never" to that).
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #138
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Never say never.
Quote:

And saying "never."

I think my head just exploded.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #139
Loach

Quote:

And saying "never."

I would never say never either. I also doubt that skeptics actually exist

Back on the original topic, without Clark Gregg I would have stopped watching this show a long time ago. But I'm still watching for now.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #140
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Back on the original topic, without Clark Gregg I would have stopped watching this show a long time ago. But I'm still watching for now.
And he's really stepped up his game lately. This week, he almost seemed like somebody who could carry a show!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #141
Amnesia
The Question

I just wish this past episode had been called "The Train Job"...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #142
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Then they would have shown it as the pilot, right?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #143
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Then they would have shown it as the pilot, right?

It still would have be a hilarious in-joke to have little re-instroductions to each member (so it seemed like a pilot)

Then towards the end when they catch up with the stopped train repel down from the hovering 'bus'.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #144
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Xbox Live: DTigerFan

Last edited by DavidTigerFan : 02-06-2014 at 12:26 PM.
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #145
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Remember this isn't a spoiler thread.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote