TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
True Colors

Quick question about Moca setup on roamio

After the guided setup on the Roamio is complete, it allows you to go into the settings and tell it to "use this Roamio as a moca bridge."

So my question is this....... after this step is completed, is it necessary to keep the ethernet cable connected in order to maintain the Moca network?

I am fairly sure that I already know the answer to that but I just want to confirm from some ofyou who are more knowledgable than I on this topic.

Thanks!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Removing the ethernet cable won't affect the MoCA connection, but if you're using your Roamio as a MoCA bridge then you'll need to keep the ethernet cable connected so that your devices on the ethernet side of the bridge can still access the network.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
dbattaglia001

I guess I'm not that "techy" and am confused on what opimal MoCA set up is.

Previously, in Living room, coax from wall is connected to MoCA adapter, then coax from MoCA adapter to splitter, then coax from splitter to cable modem and from splitter to TiVo Elite XL4. Airport Extreme router then had ethernet going to MoCA adapter and TiVo Elite XL4. In my bedroom, I had coax from wall plugging into MoCA adapter, and then Ethernet from MoCA adapter to Premiere XL. Everything worked fine but always wondered if I needed to MoCA adapters. I thought I did, but maybe I just confused myself into thinking this.

My new Roamio Pro arrived today and it will replace my Elite XL4 (gifting it to my brother). In reading the TiVo site it seems like I don't need the first MoCA adapter, that I can simply have coax from wall to splitter and bypass MoCA adapter in Living Room. Still need MoCA adapter in bedroom, but that's fine. Does it sound like I should be able to get rid of MoCA adapter in Living Room and get rid of some extra cords?
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
takeshi

Yup. You can use the Roamio Pro to bridge instead of the MoCA adapter.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
neilc
NeilC

I too was having a lot of issues figuring out MoCA. I have two Roamios and four minis all connected via MoCA.

The key for me was realizing you have to be careful not to introduce loops. So there is only ONE cross connection between your ethernet or wireless network and MoCA.

I put a ActionTec MoCA adapter in the basement where my cable modem is along with the router. That is the ONE cross connection between the two networks. All TIVO's conned to MoCA via COAX and have no ethernet connection in them. You COULD plug one in to an Ethernet wall jack if you have one and REMOVE the MoCA adapter to prevent the potential of TWO connections between the parallel networks resulting in loops.

One thing I did not realize is that once you have a MoCA network in place with your Tivo's, you can plug in a computer or xBox of anything else into the Ethernet port of your Tivo and apparently share the connection SO LONG AS those devices do not conned to your ethernet or wireless network and create loops.

neil
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote