TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
USN1Guy

TiVO Desktop Plus D/L Reliability Issues

Hi. Here’s a real puzzle I’m working. After going thru a major upgrade to my home network I’m seeing something very suspicious results when downloading HD programs using TiVO Desktop Plus, Version 2.3.8 (412370) from my new Roamio Plus over MoCA to my PC running Win 7 Pro 64x. Basically, some channels (Smithsonian, Velocity, Discovery) always fail at some point in the transfer while some channels (typically PBS related) are rock solid. I’m using Verizon FiOS here in the Washington, DC area. Now consider this. My Roamio Plus DVR allows me to download programs (via Steam feature) from my DVR to my iOS mobile devices. Transferring the same programs that failed transfer via TiVO Desktop are successfully transferred using the “Stream” feature. The problem seems to point to an unreliable TiVO Desktop program.

QUESTION: Can anyone explain the unreliability of TiVO Desktop Plus downloads or the dramatic difference in Desktop Plus download reliability performance between non-premium channels?

Here’s some more background on this matter. The TiVO Desktop reliability problem started before my Dec 2013 home network upgrade. Previously, I had a 9 Mbps Ethernet connection between my Series 3 TiVO and my PC using Netgear powerline adapters. Around mid-2013 Desktop transfers between TiVO and my PC would suddenly stop w/o explanation other than the red X on the Desktop transfer status listing. The downloads are very ‘clean’ up to the point of failure. This was a new development. I blamed the drops on the powerline adapters.

This past December I changed my home network to use MoCA by having Verizon remotely enable the MoCA capability in my FiOS ONT box and shifted over to a coax connection to the router. I also upgraded my Verizon router to the Rev I version of the MI424WR router (from a Rev C version) and replaced the Series 3 TiVO with the Roamio Plus DVR. I installed a Netgear MoCA adapter and a new Netgear Ethernet 5-port switch to distribute IP services to my TiVO, TV, DVD Player, and Wii console, all located in my media center which is one floor down from my router & PC. With the MoCA setup my TiVO Desktop Plus download speed went from ~9.3 Mbps to ~97 (yes 97) Mbps as measured using the PC Magazine NetPerSec utility on my PC. With the higher speed (6 Gigs in about 10 minutes) I now use Desktop Plus more often and can test more often. There is no doubt that downloading the HD PBS related channels (and the Weather Channel) is much more reliable than downloading the few other HD channels I’ve tested.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
USN1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

If the issue actually is caused by your TiVo Desktop installation you might be able to complete your downloads while circumventing the problem by using KMTTG instead of TiVo Desktop.

topic
download page
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Joe Siegler

I used to be a "stamp my foot in the ground" person for TiVo Desktop, and didn't want to hear of another option.

Then I became aware of the greatness of KMTTG - even after having PAID for TD+ when I got so frustrated with problems I was having with KMTTG.

Check out KMTTG if you can't get it resolved.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
unitron

I'm not a networking guru, but allow me to offer this:

If you haven't already, give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address, reduce your router's pool of assignable DHCP addresses to the minimum necessary plus 2 or 3 more, with none of the fixed numbers included, and reboot everything on the network.

Might or might not help, but if you ever need to know, like for pinging or something, you'll already know everything's IP address, and even if it doesn't help, I can't see how it could possibly hurt.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
mackie

TiVO DeskTop issues

I have been trying to get an answer to my own TiVO Desktop issues for a while now and I have searched high and low to no avail.

I am a Windows 8 user (Windows 8.1) to be precise. TiVO Desktop 2.8.3 will run under Windows 8 or 8.1 but after some time, the notification service will barf indicating that it's out of memory.

I don't get it at all.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue? If so, is there a solution for it?

mackie
mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
ggieseke

Memory leaks on TiVoServer.exe have been around forever, but I've never heard of any on TiVoNotify. That's just the icon in the system tray.

As far as transfers go there are lots of alternative options like kmttg or pyTivo. AFAIK they all use curl by default, but you can even download with the web browser of your choice. If all the available methods fail it's your home network. If only Desktop fails and every other method works it's Desktop.

The most common reason for TTG transfers to fail is corruption in the original recording. That's on the TiVo's end and no program on earth can make it any better, although with Premieres and later models using the "fast" transfer method (transport streams vs program streams) may help.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
As far as transfers go there are lots of alternative options like kmttg or pyTivo. AFAIK they all use curl by default
pyTivo doesn't use curl, by default or otherwise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
mackie

In response to my problem with TivO Notify,. I am just going by what I read in Task Manager. It says TivO Notify Service. Maybe that's just another name for TiVO Beacon.

I've seen other threads about TivO Beacon consuming massive amounts of memory with the only solution being to restart the service. Seems pretty crappy.

mackie
mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
USN1Guy

Joe, Thanks for the suggestion to switch to kmttg. I gave it a try (using kmttg v1pol) and haven't been able to D/L any program over the past week or so. All the features seem to work except that D/Ls always fail at random point from less than a percent to up to around 33% always with the the following error msg; "curl: (56) Received problem 2 in the chunky parser". The D/L rates are typically in the high 80 Mbits/s range which is a little below what I saw in TiVOtoGo.
I have no idea what to look at IRT to this error msg. Perhaps so do in this forum.
Since my original post the reliability of TiVOtoGo has improved to the point that I can D/L programs other than from PBS now.
Any ideas about how to make kmttg work?
Thanks, Patrick
USN1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote