TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #91
eddyj

Could not finish the episode. Had to pause to do something and I just could not go back. I will record still, and if it miraculously turns around like Rob hopes, maybe I will watch then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #92
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Could not finish the episode. Had to pause to do something and I just could not go back. I will record still, and if it miraculously turns around like Rob hopes, maybe I will watch then.
If it happens in the next week or two, I'll let you know. Otherwise, it'll have to be someone else.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #93
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
33 is one of the best 44 minutes of TV ever. I'm in besides I dig contagion type stories
I enjoy contagion type stories also, here I am rooting for the contagion to win and wipe out the entire world. The "Science" use here make "Under the Dumb" look like real science.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #94
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
If it happens in the next week or two, I'll let you know. Otherwise, it'll have to be someone else.
We're ALL counting on you, Rob...I'm gonna stockpile the next two or three waiting for your report....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #95
Fahtrim

I cant do it......
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #96
Timbeau

Quote:

Here's a more optimistic view than we've shown here, from io9. "This show is absolutely terrible every time it tries to "do science," and is great every time it veers into capturing its characters points of view." I wouldn't go so far as to say "great," but she has a point. This is science fiction that's at its weakest when it does science.
I'd have to say it's pretty horrible when it tries to do drama, but it is even more horrible when it does science fiction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #97
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
We're ALL counting on you, Rob...I'm gonna stockpile the next two or three waiting for your report....
I guess that's called taking one (or two) for the team!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #98
Peter000

I watched the first two episodes of Helix, then two more built up on my DVR and I realized I had no desire to catch up. So I'm now Helix-free.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #99
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Coworker said "it got really interesting in episode 4" I just watched it and I'm not really seeing what he's seeing, I'm not impressed, once again, it's a group of people finding things out AND NOT TELLING ANYONE! (gawd I hate that trope)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #100
DouglasPHill

Well it doesn't take much but this show has now moved into "puts me to sleep" category. It joins W13 and NCIS-LA.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #101
smbaker

Still enjoying it. It's television, not reality. Of course it's not realistic and the characters do stupid things.

I loved how the antiviral started to improve the patient's condition within seconds. That stuff works fast. Unfortunately, I also knew that the fast working cure had all but secured his fate to something worse.

I'm sad they killed off the blonde scientist lady. I thought she was one of the more interesting characters. Far more interesting than the other two CDC women.

My girlfriend kept asking me why they needed CO2 scrubbers and were in danger of dying due to CO2 poisoning when there's plain ordinary air right outside the door. I told her that the lab must be sealed to prevent the virus from getting out (which I think is a valid reason).

I keep trying to remember where I've seen/heard Dr. Hitaki from before. Then I looked it up. He's in the trailer for the new "Ronin" movie.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #102
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
once again, it's a group of people finding things out AND NOT TELLING ANYONE! (gawd I hate that trope)
It seems like every other show these days requires that the characters, no matter how intelligent they are supposed to be, take stupid pills.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #103
rich
Final answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I'm sad they killed off the blonde scientist lady. I thought she was one of the more interesting characters. Far more interesting than the other two CDC women.
She was about to tell someone, and see what happened??
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #104
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Idiot ball.

Helix.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #105
rich
Final answer?

They are supposedly top scientists, but they often completely forget about the scientific method.

One person working alone in a lab announces that they have developed a test to see who is infected and who is not. And they all just say "great!" and start using it. There was no control group, independent verification, double-blind test, etc ... because the plot demanded that they just go with it.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #106
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
once again, it's a group of people finding things out AND NOT TELLING ANYONE! (gawd I hate that trope)
Quote:
It seems like every other show these days requires that the characters, no matter how intelligent they are supposed to be, take stupid pills.
One of the things I like about Sleepy Hollow is they talk to each other (ok there are a LOT of things I like about SH, but that's a good one)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #107
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Still enjoying it. It's television, not reality. Of course it's not realistic and the characters do stupid things.

I loved how the antiviral started to improve the patient's condition within seconds. That stuff works fast. Unfortunately, I also knew that the fast working cure had all but secured his fate to something worse.

My girlfriend kept asking me why they needed CO2 scrubbers and were in danger of dying due to CO2 poisoning when there's plain ordinary air right outside the door. I told her that the lab must be sealed to prevent the virus from getting out (which I think is a valid reason).

I keep trying to remember where I've seen/heard Dr. Hitaki from before. Then I looked it up. He's in the trailer for the new "Ronin" movie.
i agree about the blonde scientist lady. Why did they have kill her she was the only character I like.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #108
IDSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
i agree about the blonde scientist lady. Why did they have kill her she was the only character I like.
+1

without her, I may not be able to tolerate the "Under the Dome-ness" of this show much longer
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #109
Timbeau

Quote:

Unfortunately the Idiot Ball seems to be coming more and more prevalent in TV shows these days.

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #110
dmaneyapanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
And they all just say "great!" and start using it. There was no control group, independent verification, double-blind test, etc ... because the plot demanded that they just go with it.
There was a control group, it was just an extremely crappy one. IIRC the doc tested on herself and a few other symptom-less scientists, and declared that the control group. Then the other doc came in and asked her to repeat the test on herself. When she refused (because she was worried she really was infected), the other doc then asked her to perform the test on her instead, ostensibly as an additional control sample, but really because she too was worried she was infected. Perfect science!

In their defense, they were acting under significant time pressure (hours, not days, weeks, or months), so it's not like there was going to be a double blind experiment run.
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #111
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:

Why am I still following this thread when I'm no longer watching the show?

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #112
eddyj

The thread is much more fun than the actual show. Sort of like threads about The Following.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #113
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The thread is much more fun than the actual show. Sort of like threads about The Following.
but it's nowhere near as OT as a BBT thread will be!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #114
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I am still following this thread waiting to see whether the tide of opinion changes due to developments in the story. Until then I will save it up. Since my new DVR has enormous amounts of storage, I am taking this same approach with a few shows and still have > 80% free. Meanwhile when we run out of shows we know we like, my wife and I watch The Sopranos on-demand. I am not sure what we shall do when we are done with that...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #115
philw1776

Quote:
Precisely. Keep the comments coming folks.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #116
vertigo235

I'm still watching and somewhat interested, it's not like there is much else to consume at the moment.

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #117
eddyj

I looked at the mostly-unwatched last episode, and decided to delete it and the SP also. I feel cleaner now.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #118
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I'm still watching and somewhat interested, it's not like there is much else to consume at the moment.
same here, but it's still on a very short leash - waiting for the "under the dome" premier?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #119
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I looked at the mostly-unwatched last episode, and decided to delete it and the SP also. I feel cleaner now.
Yeah, I have so much other stuff to watch, and I have not watched any episodes after the pilot, and I can't get even the littlest bit enthused about watching them. They are getting deleted next time I am at the TiVo.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #120
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
same here, but it's still on a very short leash - waiting for the "under the dome" premier?
hah, no I killed under the dome after only a few episodes

this definitely can end up with the same fate if it starts getting that bad

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote