TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Davelnlr_

Pairing...

I have a TivoHD unit in a spare bedroom, and have it paired to Comcast (Xfinity) for cable. I was thinking of adding it to my main viewing room with my Premier XL4, but hooking up a TV antenna to it for some of the local subchannels.

Its been so long since Ive changed anything I have a couple questions:

1: Can I tune cable and antenna at the same time with the TivoHD, or just one or the other like the base Roamio?
2: If I can tune either antenna or cable, will rerunning guided setup to add in the antenna cause me to lose the pairing on the cablecard?
3: If I cannot tune both at the same time, will rerunning guided setup to switch from cable to antenna erase the pairing on the cablecard should I want to switch back to the cable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but between DirecTv and the newer Tivos, Ive totally forgotten about the TivoHD.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
I have a TivoHD unit in a spare bedroom, and have it paired to Comcast (Xfinity) for cable. I was thinking of adding it to my main viewing room with my Premier XL4, but hooking up a TV antenna to it for some of the local subchannels.

Its been so long since Ive changed anything I have a couple questions:

1: Can I tune cable and antenna at the same time with the TivoHD, or just one or the other like the base Roamio?
2: If I can tune either antenna or cable, will rerunning guided setup to add in the antenna cause me to lose the pairing on the cablecard?
3: If I cannot tune both at the same time, will rerunning guided setup to switch from cable to antenna erase the pairing on the cablecard should I want to switch back to the cable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but between DirecTv and the newer Tivos, Ive totally forgotten about the TivoHD.

Hook the OTA antenna to the antenna input of the TCD652160.

Go into Messages and Settings, Settings, Channels, and select Channel Scan.

It should find whatever OTA channels you can get on that antenna without messing up your already set up cable channels.

Those channels should get automatically added to the guide data, but you can go into Channel List instead of Channel Scan to edit the list.

In fact, check the list first, TiVo probably already included the OTA channels it thinks your ZIP Code should get, they just aren't "checked" in the list to make them show up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
worachj

You can get both cable and OTA but you need to re-do guided setup to get the proper guide data for both. Select "cable and antenna" when you re-do guided setup.

I think the only way you lose the cable card paring is if you do a Clear and Delete.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
You can get both cable and OTA but you need to re-do guided setup to get the proper guide data for both. Select "cable and antenna" when you re-do guided setup.

I think the only way you lose the cable card paring is if you do a Clear and Delete.
I'm not convinced re-running Guided Setup is necessary, having just before writing my previous post in this thread hooked an OTA antenna to the antenna input of an S3 that was just on analog cable and running channel scan again so that I could record a particular basketball game only available to us via an OTA channel, and when the scan was done and I went into the list and checked the channel to add it, there was the game in the guide for me to click on and set up the recording.

GS should always be done as a very, very last resort, no matter what the problem is.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote