TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
krwilkins

Roamio and Mini perfect sync?

I have a Roamio setup in a living room that is open to the kitchen where a mini is setup with a small TV. We want to have them play the same show and be in sync with each other because you can here the speakers from both rooms. The scenario is my wife's in the kitchen, I'm in the living room, and we're watching the same show. Because there is a slight delay with the mini the shows and audio are not in sync.

I've tried to fix this by briefly pausing the Roamio and then start it again to be in sync with the mini, it's a hit or miss process and frustrating. Does anyone know of an easy way to accomplish what I'm going for?

Ken
krwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
supasta

Connecting both TVs to the same source would be the easiest solution. Would that be possible in your case with your setup?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
krwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Connecting both TVs to the same source would be the easiest solution. Would that be possible in your case with your setup?
I'm not sure, an installer hooked everything up. The TV in the kitchen is probably 30 feet from the Roamio. If we were able to hook them up to the same source would we abandon the Mini and use the kitchen TV off the Roamio just like the living room TV?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwilkins View Post
I'm not sure, an installer hooked everything up. The TV in the kitchen is probably 30 feet from the Roamio. If we were able to hook them up to the same source would we abandon the Mini and use the kitchen TV off the Roamio just like the living room TV?
That would be the solution I would employ. Maybe another TCFer has anther idea, but I would think that connecting both TVs to the same source by running a HDMI cable that 30 feet would be the easiest way.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
krwilkins

Quote:
That would be the solution I would employ. Maybe another TCFer has anther idea, but I would think that connecting both TVs to the same source by running a HDMI cable that 30 feet would be the easiest way.
Thank you. I just checked and it should be easy to run the HDMI, both TV's are under the same crawl space with good access.

I'm trying to get my head around what functionally we would have with this recommended setup. There is never a case where we would be watching different shows in the two rooms, they are too close together. A couple questions:

Could we watch TV only in the kitchen without the living room tv being on?

When watching only in the kitchen (living room tv off) would we control the kitchen TV (19 inch Samsung just purchased) would we use the same Tivo remote we are using in the living room?

How would we select which TV was on, or if both were on for that matter.

Sorry if my questions are on the amateur side. I've been using Tivo for well over 10 years, but this is my first multi-room challenge.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
supasta

Quote:
Could we watch TV only in the kitchen without the living room tv being on?
Yes.
Quote:
When watching only in the kitchen (living room tv off) would we control the kitchen TV (19 inch Samsung just purchased) would we use the same Tivo remote we are using in the living room?
Sure, the TiVo remote would still control the TiVo. You would have to ensure that the TiVo remote does indeed control the TiVo well where it is currently positioned. That may or may not be another issue for you. Remember, the TiVo remote controls the TiVo (outside of the TV power and volume).
Quote:
How would we select which TV was on, or if both were on for that matter.
The TV would either be on or off. The TiVo does not know if the TV is on or off. You could have one or both either on or off at any time.

I vaguely remember seeing a TiVo support page (that I cannot locate at the moment) that said that the Roamio models could support up to 16 HDMI displays at once.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
krwilkins

Quote:
Yes.

The TV would either be on or off. The TiVo does not know if the TV is on or off. You could have one or both either on or off at any time.
I have the Slide Pro remote with RF. So the range is not a problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Rev. Noch

Just to be clear as well, you'd need an HDMI splitter to get the signal to both displays. I would recommend something from monoprice. Here seems to be the most inexpensive one:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Though there is the entire list of HDMI Splitters/matrices/etc that would get this job done:
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...=hdmi+splitter
North America Challenge Champions 2001 2002 2003.
Rev. Noch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
krwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Noch View Post
Just to be clear as well, you'd need an HDMI splitter to get the signal to both displays. I would recommend something from monoprice. Here seems to be the most inexpensive one:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Though there is the entire list of HDMI Splitters/matrices/etc that would get this job done:
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...=hdmi+splitter
Got it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
If we were able to hook them up to the same source would we abandon the Mini and use the kitchen TV off the Roamio just like the living room TV?
The only issue would be that the Roamio only has one output, so the tvs would ALWAYS show the same thing.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
krwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The only issue would be that the Roamio only has one output, so the tvs would ALWAYS show the same thing.
That's exactly what I need. The TV's are so close to each other that we wouldn't be able to have two different shows on without hearing both at the same time. I want both TV's to show the same show with audio and video in perfect sync with each other.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
lew-wolfgang

Quote:
That's exactly what I need. The TV's are so close to each other that we wouldn't be able to have two different shows on without hearing both at the same time. I want both TV's to show the same show with audio and video in perfect sync with each other.
You do realize that you might get an "echo" effect if both TV's are in perfect sync? If your ears were perfectly equidistant between the sound sources you'd be okay. But move a bit and you might hear the sound as if it was coming down a long, echoing pipe. I've had this happen with analog TV's in separate rooms tuned to the same channel.

BTW, the Mini lags the master due to the transfer buffering it has to do to avoid stuttering. It can't be avoided.

Regards,
Lew
lew-wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
jaredmwright

I do this currently for my master bedroom and bathroom on the other side of the wall. As long as the volume levels are appropriate for each room, there is no discernable different in audio and definitely no issue with hearing them out of sync. The only thing you may notice is if the TV farther away is louder than the local TV, which is easily fixed by turning up the TV closest to you or turning down the TV farthest.

Good luck and report back.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
krwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew-wolfgang View Post
You do realize that you might get an "echo" effect if both TV's are in perfect sync? If your ears were perfectly equidistant between the sound sources you'd be okay. But move a bit and you might hear the sound as if it was coming down a long, echoing pipe. I've had this happen with analog TV's in separate rooms tuned to the same channel.

BTW, the Mini lags the master due to the transfer buffering it has to do to avoid stuttering. It can't be avoided.

Regards,
Lew
Sadly I found out about the Mini lagging the main TV after the install was complete, the delay made this unworkable. I removed the Mini from the kitchen and installed an HDMI splitter to solve the problem. All is working well now.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

They are playing two different copies of the program anyway. So even if there wasn't a lag if one person paused the other would continue to play and you'd never be able to get them back into sync again. A splitter is a much better solution for your particular setup.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had a TV in the kitchen connected via component, using a RJ-45 balun. The video signals came directly off the TiVo, while the audio came from the coax digital audio output from the main TV. This ensured that the audio on both was always in sync. However, the main TV had to be on for this setup to work, so it probably wouldn't work for the OP.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
krwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They are playing two different copies of the program anyway. So even if there wasn't a lag if one person paused the other would continue to play and you'd never be able to get them back into sync again. A splitter is a much better solution for your particular setup.
Yes, I learned this the hard way. It's all working perfectly now with the splitter.