TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #1651
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne- View Post
Yo guys, my original HDD is about to run out of space soon and I will need a new one soon. Just curious if we take out old HDD, put in new HDD then maybe a few months later I want to watch old shows again on my old HDD, I can just put it back into my Tivo and everything will be the same and everything right? TV shows would work and I'll be able to watch them again? I read something about them getting deleted if I do something wrong. Also if I want to transfer them to my computer or another HDD, how would I be able to do that?
It would be a bigger hassle to swap out HDDs (damage to drive is more possible, voids warranty) then to copy them over to another Tivo or PC. When it gets full, the Tivo will delete them starting with the oldest show.

To copy them over, you could use Tivo Desktop (not free anymore), or use PyTivo (which also has more features), KMTTG (only downloads, not send back, uses PyTivo for that job.)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #1652
TheChosenOne-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It would be a bigger hassle to swap out HDDs (damage to drive is more possible, voids warranty) then to copy them over to another Tivo or PC. When it gets full, the Tivo will delete them starting with the oldest show.

To copy them over, you could use Tivo Desktop (not free anymore), or use PyTivo (which also has more features), KMTTG (only downloads, not send back, uses PyTivo for that job.)
But if I wanted to, I could keep on switching back and forth from my original HDD and future HDDs and nothing will get deleted right? It can still play the shows on my original HDD if I keep on switching back and forth? I won't do that often because all I have is 98% of basketball games on them but maybe one day I might be bored and would like to re watch some games.

What kind of video format are the shows? Would I be able to play the shows on VLC on my computer?
TheChosenOne- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1653
lpwcomp

Quote:
What kind of video format are the shows? Would I be able to play the shows on VLC on my computer?
On the TiVo drive? Nothing that is usable by anything but the TiVo on which they were recorded.

As to whether or not you can switch drives back and forth - I'm not sure anyone knows if it is possible with a Roamio. Unless they are copy protected, transferring to a computer is a much better option.

Just FYI, although I don't recommend any version of TiVo Desktop, the free version is still available.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #1654
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by el aye View Post
It's really just the startup power draw... real world power consumption between 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives is no more than a few watts.
With the wall wart that came with my Roamio "a few watts" could be as much as 10% of the things capacity! It's not an insignificant amount. Between the extra heat generated by the 7200 RPM drives (the fan in my Roamio is TINY) and the extra power draw your just asking for problems.

But hey, more power to you. If you blow the wall wart it's easy to fix and if the hard drive fries from heat it's easy enough to drop another one in (you just loose your recordings).

I just don't know why someone would tempt fate, especially when buying a new hard drive.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #1655
ltxi

Quote:
Yo guys, my original HDD is about to run out of space soon and I will need a new one soon. Just curious if we take out old HDD, put in new HDD then maybe a few months later I want to watch old shows again on my old HDD, I can just put it back into my Tivo and everything will be the same and everything right? TV shows would work and I'll be able to watch them again? I read something about them getting deleted if I do something wrong. Also if I want to transfer them to my computer or another HDD, how would I be able to do that?
Pretty much asked and answered in the other thread.....the one you started.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #1656
tome_9499

Hi All,

I have a bunch of credit at Staples, and I was wondering if the following drive will be compatible in a Roamio:

http://www.staples.com/WD-4TB-3-1-2-...duct_IM1TA9583

If not, can you tell me what other drives I can get at staples that will work?

Thanks,

TomE
can prevail aganist untiring Destiny.

-Sophocles
tome_9499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #1657
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Nothing 4 TB and up will work. This drive just is a Green drive and not AV. The most Roamio currently can use is 3 TB, and best if its a Green AV drive, such as WD30EURx, WD20EURx.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #1658
Cap'n Preshoot

Only my 2¢ worth here... A 3 TB drive, or, for that matter even a 2 TB drive, amounts to putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket. When (not if) that cheap Chinese drive gets tired spinning, or a head crashes as it will some day, you're potentially going to lose a boatload of recordings. If you treasure your recordings (why else have such a huge drive?) I think I'd look at investing in smaller, say 1 TB external storage drives and swap 'em out (and catalog 'em) as they fill up. Those consumer grade 2 and 3TB WD green drives are (just IMO) a ticking bomb for long term storage that's continuously online. At the very least, put a UPS on it (and don't plug anything else into it).
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #1659
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
Only my 2¢ worth here... A 3 TB drive, or, for that matter even a 2 TB drive, amounts to putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket. When (not if) that cheap Chinese drive gets tired spinning, or a head crashes as it will some day, you're potentially going to lose a boatload of recordings. If you treasure your recordings (why else have such a huge drive?) I think I'd look at investing in smaller, say 1 TB external storage drives and swap 'em out (and catalog 'em) as they fill up. Those consumer grade 2 and 3TB WD green drives are (just IMO) a ticking bomb for long term storage that's continuously online. At the very least, put a UPS on it (and don't plug anything else into it).
If having a library of programs is important to you, than move the programs off the TiVo to some other external storage that can be backup, today this is not a hard job with the software now available.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1660
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have a 1TB drive in my THD and it is almost full, not with stuff that I wish to keep long term but just things I (or the other person who uses it) haven't gotten around to watching. Yes, it's fairly easy to move it to the computer but transfers are abysmally slow. This is on wired Ethernet.

Anything I want to keep long term, I transfer to computer, edit, trascode to h264 MKV and eventually move to DVD although I am thinking about switching to Blu-ray.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #1661
unitron

Quote:
I can see you're unacquainted with Time-Warner's habit of setting the anti-copy bit on every channel they can, and sometimes even the ones that they aren't supposed to.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #1662
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I can see you're unacquainted with Time-Warner's habit of setting the anti-copy bit on every channel they can, and sometimes even the ones that they aren't supposed to.
There is that.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #1663
HoOn

Hello everyone everyone! I'm getting my Roamio Plus in two days and wanted to ask what the general consensus is here about whether to upgrade now or later when the drive is closer to full?

Thanks
HoOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #1664
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOn View Post
Hello everyone everyone! I'm getting my Roamio Plus in two days and wanted to ask what the general consensus is here about whether to upgrade now or later when the drive is closer to full?

Thanks
Since there is currently no known way to copy & expand a Roamio drive...

Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #1665
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOn View Post

Thanks
Unless you want to walk through the setup twice I would say take it out of the box DO NOT PLUG IT IN open the case remove the drive install new drive and save yourself the time of doing it later. It really is that simple. plug it in turn it on and ready to go TiVo!!!!!!
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #1666
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Unless you want to walk through the setup twice I would say take it out of the box DO NOT PLUG IT IN open the case remove the drive install new drive and save yourself the time of doing it later. It really is that simple. plug it in turn it on and ready to go TiVo!!!!!!
'course you void the warranty when you do that.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #1667
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Do this. The fact that it does a full install on a blank drive all on its own is the best new feature they added.

If you need warranty service, pop in the original drive and the warranty is perfectly intact (unless you tell them you did that).

Ignore this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
'course you void the warranty when you do that.

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #1668
kucharsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Do this. The fact that it does a full install on a blank drive all on its own is the best new feature they added.

If you need warranty service, pop in the original drive and the warranty is perfectly intact (unless you tell them you did that).

Ignore this guy.
I thought when the unit contacts TiVo they know the model and size of the drive, and since they don't sell say a 3 TB Roamio…
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #1669
lpwcomp

Quote:

Ignore this guy.
While in the past, TiVo has usually honored the warranty in those circumstances, there is no guaranty that they will continue to do so. The fact that you think that TiVo won't know that you swapped out the drives at some point proves that you are the one who should be ignored.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that the OP should be aware there is at least some risk to doing so.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #1670
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I thought when the unit contacts TiVo they know the model and size of the drive, and since they don't sell say a 3 TB Roamio…
I haven't seen any evidence they would use those logs to void the warranty. Then again, never had any need for any warranty service on the 20 or more TiVos I've had and upgraded for others.

On all but a few of those I upgraded before ever plugging them in. And that's SO easy to do now with the Roamio.

Paranoia is not needed here.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #1671
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While in the past, TiVo has usually honored the warranty in those circumstances, there is no guaranty that they will continue to do so. The fact that you think that TiVo won't know that you swapped out the drives at some point proves that you are the one who should be ignored.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that the OP should be aware there is at least some risk to doing so.
I acknowledged that. I said it wasn't enough risk to avoid doing the right thing here.

Now…where's that ignore button on here again?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #1672
lpwcomp

Quote:
I acknowledged that. I said it wasn't enough risk to avoid doing the right thing here.

Now…where's that ignore button on here again?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #1673
HarperVision

Quote:
Ummmmmm.......the Roamio Pro is 3TB
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #1674
kucharsk

I can't get my Roamio Basic open!!

I removed the Torx screw, then I can get the back of the cover above the jacks to pop up about 1/8" and then…*nothing.

I can bend, prod, or whatever but the cover isn't moving forward, side to side or in general going anywhere.

All I can do is pop up the back edge or seat it back down, that's it.

Help!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #1675
lpwcomp

Quote:
I can't get my Roamio Basic open!!

I removed the Torx screw, then I can get the back of the cover above the jacks to pop up about 1/8" and then…*nothing.

I can bend, prod, or whatever but the cover isn't moving forward, side to side or in general going anywhere.

All I can do is pop up the back edge or seat it back down, that's it.

Help!
Does this post help?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #1676
kucharsk

Finally got it open; I just had to use more force than I expected.

Thankfully the clips aren't exceptionally fragile.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #1677
ltxi

Quote:
....really?

Roamios were built to allow for easy drive swaps....whether for TiVo's maintenance benefit or the user's.....don't matter. As historically always, changing drives will not void the warranty.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #1678
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
....really?

Roamios were built to allow for easy drive swaps....whether for TiVo's maintenance benefit or the user's.....don't matter. As historically always, changing drives will not void the warranty.
Where do you get that? Technically, just opening the box voids the warranty.
I think what you meant to say was "TiVo does not aggressively look for upgraded hard drives".

TiVo has denied warranty claims because of upgraded hard drives before. Granted, it was most likely because the user admitted they upgraded the hard drive when they contacted TiVo, but still...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #1679
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Where do you get that? Technically, just opening the box voids the warranty.
I think what you meant to say was "TiVo does not aggressively look for upgraded hard drives".

TiVo has denied warranty claims because of upgraded hard drives before. Granted, it was most likely because the user admitted they upgraded the hard drive when they contacted TiVo, but still...
+1

Some people will always persist in making claims they have no way to back up.

I was denied TECHNICAL SUPPORT on more than one occaision, on more than one TiVo, of different models, due to a CSR Rep looking through my logs and noticing the drive had been changed.

It's not a stretch to figure they could also do the same for warranty claims (I've never had to make any directly through TiVo, as I was in the return to retail store window, in all defective TiVo instances).

TiVo has every right to do so. I still do drive upgrades anyway.

TiVo already has all the legalese in-place (has been in-place for years now) in the TOS/User Agreement/Policies, to deny both tech support, and warranty claims, if the device has been tampered with, modified, or serviced by an unauthorized party. All they'd need to do is actually enforce what every one of us agrees to when we activate our TiVos.

For the record, I'm not one of the unnamed (if they exist) people, who always get mentioned as "blabbing/bragging/telling TiVo that I did anything to mine". It seems like somebody just assumed that must have been the case, and it keeps getting added by those who say "Go ahead, upgrade, no worries, just do what you want, nothing bad can come of it if you keep the original drive around", when somebody corrects them.

What's annoying is the same person (and a few other repeat offenders) keeps saying the "no worries" line, despite being corrected by dozens of others, over and over, every chance they get to give dangerous assurances, that they can't back-up will work for everybody, all the time, in all cases/scenarios.

I'm usually the first one stating all this, as my own personal experience, and that YMMV.

People have a right to know all this. IMHO, posts claiming "no worries", without appropriate disclaimers, should be removed by the mods.

The worst of offenders don't even put "YMMV", in their posts. I'd "ignore list" them, if I didn't feel the need to shield newcomers and novices from taking such posts as a green light to void their warranty. Just because somebody gets support now, or got warranty service, yesterday, doesn't mean their warranty wasn't technically and legally void, just that TiVo did not catch it and/or enforce the terms (which TiVo can begin doing any time they want).
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #1680
aaronwt
HD Addict

And I had warranty support denied on a launch TiVo HD in 2007. So I put the original drive back in and exchanged it for another one at Circuit City.

I have no plans to upgrade the drives in either of my Roamios yet.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote