TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #91
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

That's Fight scenes 101 (3 guys fight one and 2 wait till the other is knocked down.)
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #92
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
That's Fight scenes 101 (3 guys fight one and 2 wait till the other is knocked down.)
Marksmanship isn't the only skill they teach at the Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #93
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I like the show, I really do, but I can't help but get snapped out of the fantasy when they have things like two agents are being suroundedby a mob of bad guys with guns. *cut to shot of a c17 HOVERING above them*. Then in stead of running or shooting at it, the bad guys stand there dumbfounded and wait for the plane to stop, rotate around, and then turn on it's jets SUPERPOWER to blow them all away.
It also went from having no extraction plan to we'll just fly the plane there and pick them up. If it was that easy, why not have that be the plan in the first place?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #94
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, he's crushing on her and she's (mostly) oblivious.
I think they're not completely decided on this relationship yet. It seemed to me an episode or two ago, he was crushing on Skye and she (Simmons) was looking jealous.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #95
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, he's crushing on her and she's (mostly) oblivious.
I think he's also given Skye a few salacious glances. He may just be a male.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #96
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It also went from having no extraction plan to we'll just fly the plane there and pick them up. If it was that easy, why not have that be the plan in the first place?
Because it was all a test of Colson's team. He was manipulated. Not told there was no extraction. Pretty much letting the team crack the fact and go save their guys. Much like the Empire let the Millennium Falcon get away in A New Hope.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #97
mwhip
All better

Well now knowing that Fitz and Simmons are not related and knowing that all shows on TV have to have sexual tension I think the natural dynamics are:

Skye and Ward
Fitz and Simmons
Coulson and May

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #98
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Skye and Ward
Fitz and Simmons
Coulson and May
They could have a sixsome. Uh, sexsome? Sixsome sexsome?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #99
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sky is River, but less talented and mystical.
Ward is Jayne, but WAY less funny.
Melinda May is Zoë.
Coulson is Mal.
Fitz is sort-of Simon.
Simmons is Hermione Granger.

I seem to recall reading (somewhere here) that they had written it pretty by-the-book until they got a full season pickup, after which we should see a signficant amount of character development. We're just starting to see that, and some longer story arcs. I understand why they wouldn't want to risk it right out of the gate, but I do think that meant they lost some ground with the viewers.

That said, we got everyone out to see Thor: The Dark World already because the previews noted that this week's episode crossed over with the movie and we wanted to be able to enjoy it spoiler-free. So they've figured out an easy way to make money off our fandom less than half-a-season in.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #100
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Sky is River, but less talented and mystical.
Ward is Jayne, but WAY less funny.
Melinda May is Zoë.
Coulson is Mal.
Fitz is sort-of Simon.
Simmons is Hermione Granger.
You could add "but way less funny, cool, awesome, developed" on every one of those. I hope we do see some real character development.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #101
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
You could add "but way less funny, cool, awesome, developed" on every one of those. I hope we do see some real character development.
Probably because Joss is done with TV as a writer or show runner and is now focused on movies and his only interest in TV is as EP.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #102
UTV2TiVo

Anyone still watch this show. I just watched "A Magical Place"
It was So So. Good enough for me to continue watching (primarily due to lack of competition in the genre).
Hopefully they will wrap up the 'Why is Coulson alive' storyline in the next episode (which aired 1/14) and move on.
The way they have spread out the episode airings may have lost viewers. Seems like they only have new eps every few weeks.
UTV2TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #103
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Yep, there was a thread for both "The Magicial Place" here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513317

and for "Seeds" here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513571

I still find it quite entertaining.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #104
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post
The way they have spread out the episode airings may have lost viewers. Seems like they only have new eps every few weeks.
They lost viewers because it's not a good show. The way it has been aired is no different than the way most other shows are aired during the winter. It's quite common for shows to take weeks off during the December/January months to accommodate for the holidays/sports/award shows. SHIELD's first new airing in January after being off for 4 weeks was actually up 600k viewers. It took it's biggest losses in the first few weeks when it aired consecutively. It premiered to a 4.7 18-49 rating and by week 2 was down to a 3.1. By week six it was down to a 2.5. The last new episode in January was a 2.2.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #105
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

I'm still enjoying it too. This is the first show in a long time that is appointment television for my wife and me. We record it and make sure to make time to watch together. It's not supposed to be high on the verisimilitude scale. It's a comic book show. It's fun and occasionally a bit silly. But it's also not any more "unreal" than Alias was. We're enjoying the slow play reveals of the characters. We get to see them unfold with the natural flow of the series, rather than a bunch of forced monologuing about their lives and plans.

That's the luxury of a pretty secure run. - it's likely to stay on the air as long as it can stay out of last place in its time slot. It's a Marvel (owned by Disney) property, produced by ABC Studios (owned by Disney), airing on ABC (owned by Disney) that is being set up to serve as a sort of nexus point for the entire Marvel (owned by Disney) Cinematic and soon-to-be Live Action Television Universe. Joss isn't writing, directing, or line producing, but his role in all of this is as sort of grand poobah puppet master, helping the sprawling narrative weave together.

The Thor "crossover" was just the beginning. I suspect that by the end of this season or the beginning of next, we'll get lead-ins to the four Netflix series that are coming in 2015 (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage). And those will culminate in a team-up mini-series on Netflix. They'll probably also do call outs to the rest of the MCU movies that seem to be scheduled to come out about every six months or so.

And there's also an Agent Carter series in development that's likely to end up on ABC's slate for next season. I could see it being paired with AoS as a "Marvel Hour." (Though they might want to keep them separated to avoid confusion, because Agent Carter is likely set in the 1940s). Overall, it's a good time to be a comics on the screen fan.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #106
Peter000

I think Marvel is spreading themselves too thin. And they're taking a HUGE chance on these "B" level super-hero shows and movies. Ant-Man? Guardians of the Galaxy? Jessica Jones? Who besides comic book geeks really know about these characters?
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #107
mattack

The Arrow is an obscure character, and (for the CW) gets good ratings, AFAIK.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #108
SullyND
W: 31-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I think Marvel is spreading themselves too thin. And they're taking a HUGE chance on these "B" level super-hero shows and movies. Ant-Man? Guardians of the Galaxy? Jessica Jones? Who besides comic book geeks really know about these characters?
Who'd have guessed Iron Man would be the success it has been? Iron Man has always been my favorite Marvel character, and while not "B" level, Iron Man was not a character that the general public knew much about.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #109
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, for the most part it's not the character, it's what they do with the character that's going to make or break a movie or a TV series. Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones, Ant-Man...they could all be fantastic, or they could all be terrible.

What's wrong with SHIELD isn't the concept; it's the execution. To me, instead of being a TV version of The Avengers without super-heroes (which is how it was presented, and which could be fantastic), it's a watered-down 21st-century A-Team.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #110
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Arrow is an obscure character, and (for the CW) gets good ratings, AFAIK.
That would be because that those who do know are more familiar with him as Green Arrow.

However, Blade got three movies and a series.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #111
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm on the fence ready to jump. There's been the odd good episode, but most have been fairly boring. About halfway through most of these I'm on one of my tablets checking email or playing Candy Crush. Once I get to that point on a series, it's usually time to cut the cord. My son loves it, but he's more of a comic book movie geek than I am.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #112
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

This show is actually one of the few new shows that I have stuck with this season. I started out recording a bunch of new stuff but whittled them way down after the Holidays.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #113
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like the show, but agree that if you look too closely, it looks like crap. Many Buffy episodes were the same. But I like the overall concept, the humor and the characters. The individual episode plots are often weak, but they have redeeming points. It's no Firefly, but I'm still watching.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #114
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
That would be because that those who do know are more familiar with him as Green Arrow.

However, Blade got three movies and a series.
I knew someone would nitpick that part -- it's obscure as heck as "Green Arrow" too... I speak as a non-comic book person.

Oh, this actually leads me to another question I had. I think the answer to any crossover question is probably "yes" given the long history of comic books... But do the X-Men and the Avengers/these other characters we've seen in movies lately come into contact with each other?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #115
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But do the X-Men and the Avengers/these other characters we've seen in movies lately come into contact with each other?
In comics they do all the time...in fact, the Uncanny Avengers is a team comprised of both Avengers and X-Men.

But of course in the movies they'll never meet.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #116
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Quote:
In comics they do all the time...in fact, the Uncanny Avengers is a team comprised of both Avengers and X-Men.

I hear rumors of there having been some verrrrrrrrrrrrrry preliminary talks about a "grand crossover movie" that could include characters controlled by Marvel, Sony, 20th Century Fox, and possibly even Warner Brothers too. It will never happen - they'll never get a deal worked out. And really, I hope they don't. Because any single film that included that many superhero characters would inevitably suck.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #117
mattack

Quote:

Well, I thought maybe they eventually would, because they obviously have to keep upping the ante each time with the movies.. (Though I guess to go from Avengers to Iron Man 3, they sort of reverted.. in a good way..)

ok, and for others, Uncanny Avengers started in October 2012. So it's not from the 1960s or anything..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
I hear rumors of there having been some verrrrrrrrrrrrrry preliminary talks about a "grand crossover movie" that could include characters controlled by Marvel, Sony, 20th Century Fox, and possibly even Warner Brothers too. It will never happen - they'll never get a deal worked out. And really, I hope they don't. Because any single film that included that many superhero characters would inevitably suck.
I agree sort of, but the X men movies have had a whole ton of chars, and IIRC, at least 2 were pretty good.. (Geez, can't ANY of these trilogies have all good movies? Star Wars seems like the only one that's done it, but the Ewoks were mildly annoying before Jar Jar came around, and of course the new trilogy slightly tarnished the series..)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #118
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Well, I thought maybe they eventually would, because they obviously have to keep upping the ante each time with the movies.
But they can't. Marvel doesn't have the movie rights to the X-Men. And I suspect that as long as you or I shall live, Fox would rather knowingly put out a total PoS X-Men movie than lose the rights (and I suspect will do so once or twice in the years and decades to come).
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #119
BrettStah

But it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where Fox and Marvel, or Marvel and Sony, come to an agreement on a joint movie. If the money is good enough, they'd do it.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #120
jcondon

I am still recording it and will watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time when I get to watching it. My wife doesn't want to watch it but I find it interesting enough to still watch but don't feel the need to watch it every week either.