TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #601
nmiller855

I won't be home until tomorrow to check to see if my 2 channels have returned. I'm sorry that we all had to deal with the reboot issues but if it returned the missing channels, I am thankful.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #602
iiigoiii

so if i'm reading this correctly, it sounds like some people here have had luck getting 3.5d on their series 1 directivo's by just getting the unit to call out for software updates?

i'd try, but i had to reload my system software a few years ago with instantcake - which loaded 3.5c. and - i thought i remembered that once a unit was upgraded to a larger HDD with instantcake, it was important to unhook the phone line (something about software updates inadvertently blowing away some changes made by the instantcake reload?). i haven't made any other system mods on my own.

does anyone know if my philips DSR6000R01 would actually be able to get the 3.5d off the phone line, and if it would still work with the larger HDD?
iiigoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #603
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiigoiii View Post
so if i'm reading this correctly, it sounds like some people here have had luck getting 3.5d on their series 1 directivo's by just getting the unit to call out for software updates?

i'd try, but i had to reload my system software a few years ago with instantcake - which loaded 3.5c. and - i thought i remembered that once a unit was upgraded to a larger HDD with instantcake, it was important to unhook the phone line (something about software updates inadvertently blowing away some changes made by the instantcake reload?). i haven't made any other system mods on my own.

does anyone know if my philips DSR6000R01 would actually be able to get the 3.5d off the phone line, and if it would still work with the larger HDD?
Based on what others have said it may still be possible to get 3.5d but it would be from the satellite, not the phone line. You may already have it on your dsr6000. If you have bash access to your TiVo execute the following command.
Code:
echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
That will show whether you have 3.5d waiting.

Also do
Code:
bootpage -p /dev/hda
This will show if your instacake install was set up to prevent automatic upgrades.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #604
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiigoiii View Post
If you do a "stock" upgrade from 3.5c to 3.5d you will not get an LBA48 kernel and will eventually have data corruption issues if you are trying to use more than ~137 GB of a single disk. There is an LBA48 kernel available, but that would require a little work to get set up (link).
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #605
nmiller855

I have an upgraded SAT-T60 & it updated to 3.5d through phone calls. I have never bern able to restore 2 of the local channels even after the "fix".
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #606
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I have an upgraded SAT-T60 & it updated to 3.5d through phone calls. I have never bern able to restore 2 of the local channels even after the "fix".
Did you go to the extreme of trying a Clear & Delete Everything or a Program Data at the least? I thought others were reporting that the T-60's were a bit crankier about locals than the DSR6000's...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #607
BigIrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
Did you go to the extreme of trying a Clear & Delete Everything or a Program Data at the least? I thought others were reporting that the T-60's were a bit crankier about locals than the DSR6000's...
T-60 upgraded from 3.5c to 3.5d, but I was still missing two local channels. I did a full reset (took 5+ hours) and once I was up and going -- no locals at all!

I let it run overnight and today all locals are working.
BigIrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #608
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIrv View Post
T-60 upgraded from 3.5c to 3.5d, but I was still missing two local channels. I did a full reset (took 5+ hours) and once I was up and going -- no locals at all!

I let it run overnight and today all locals are working.
Glad it worked!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #609
iiigoiii

crap...can't remember what size disk i put in there or if i did anything special for large disk support. the system info says 145hrs.

and i never got to the point of getting bash. the readme for the new IC says that it has bash support enabled, not sure if it was on my older version. i do know that i never flashed my PROM myself, don't know if IC did it on the 3.5c install.

the phone line has long been disconnected, but the system info shows a 'successful call' this morning, leading me to suspect that there is call imitation going on in the software somewhere to prevent the system from actually calling. and i read on the IC readme that they do disable auto updates.

oh well, guess the easiest path is to start over with 3.5d and wipe out my recordings....
iiigoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #610
D'Ecosse

I found I was unable to connect my HDVR2 to the phone - I use VOIP (Vonage) and it does not seem to like that for connecting. It would dial and try to connect, but would not hand-shake - tried multiple phone numbers, all with same result.
I took the system down to my wife's office and used a Land Line from there with their office TV for display; no problem connecting from there, although no Satellite inputs obviously into the HDVR2.
But the modem connected with no problem and spent about 10 mins downloading 'something'; Then have the 'pending restart' status
However with a forced restart, it was still stuck on 6.2a - did not update to 6.4
Repeated the process and still on 6.2 - seems like there is no way to force it to update to latest software?

I called DTV while connected, see what they could do to help force the software change - not much they could do on that front over phone however gave me killer deal to get a Genie - with complete install incl Cinema Kit and SWM installation.
So probably going to 'park' the Tivo - had just repaired the Power Supply and successfully executed the capacitor mod to eliminate the Tuner2 issue, too.
I'm sure the locals would have been restored if/when it eventually updated the software, but not having the std land-line at home was prohibitive to that happening in its own sweet time.
Just wanted to share the issue with the Vonage connection especially (or similar VOIP connections), if others find themselves with that dilemma
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #611
wetchemistry

I didn't realize this was still an issue. Too sad. But dialing in with Vonage is easy:

So for future searchers....

If you are only using your Vonage Phone Service only to allow your TiVo DVR to make its calls, you can plug the TiVo DVR into the green Port 1 of the Vonage Phone Adapter.
If you are using your Vonage Phone Service to make voice telephone calls and you want to allow your TiVo DVR to also make its calls, you have two options:
Get a phone line splitter from a local retail electronics store such as Radio Shack. Plug the splitter into the green Port 1 of the Vonage Phone Adapter, then plug your telephone into one plug of the splitter and the TiVo DVR into the other plug of the splitter.
Add a second phone line from Vonage and plug the TiVo DVR into the green Port 2 of the Vonage phone adapter.
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #612
D'Ecosse

Thank you for your proposed solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchemistry View Post
.... dialing in with Vonage is easy:

Plug the splitter into the green Port 1 of the Vonage Phone Adapter, then plug your telephone into one plug of the splitter and the TiVo DVR into the other plug of the splitter....
Edit - I have since discovered this was just copied/pasted from the Vonage site - not a validated method of connecting.
This thread shows that it is not that simple - if only it were!

That is effectively what I have - from the splitter one wire goes to the primary phone (which is then wirelessly connected to other phones) and the second cable plugs into a wall socket, which distributes throughout the house (the incoming telephone company connection is removed so that only the internal house system is interconnected); the Tivo is the ONLY thing that is connected into the home distribution.

That seems no different than what you propose other than additional in-wall phone line between the Tivo and the splitter plugged directly into the Vonage adapter.
The modem will successfully dial - it simply will not establish a connection with the other end after it picks up.

Edit - have connected Tivo directly to the green port 1 eliminating the home wiring and still exactly same - will not establish connection with the modem at the opposite end
Have tried different rate settings - #034, #096 and none, makes no difference.

I'll pick this up in the referenced thread above which more appropriately deals with that specific issue.

Last edited by D'Ecosse : 06-04-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #613
D'Ecosse

What an ordeal!
Gave up messing with PPP (think the USB-Serial adapter not working out) and took box down to my Mrs office & hooked to land-line POTS (TV monitor in office)
It connected to DVR service no problem, then spent about 90 mins 'downloading', then ~ another 30 mins after hang-up compiling the data.
Let it complete till "pending reset" displayed.
Thought I was gold at that point, unplugged everything & brought it home.
Restarted and .......... still on 6.2a
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #614
tomc585

IT may take several calls to the mother ship to complete the up grade. I was bringing mine into work for several days until it finally finished.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #615
d1940u

Lost locals in Cincinnati

I have searched this forum trying to find a fix and have not been able solve my problem.

I have a R10 that is used for grand kids to watch there recorded shows. Lately I have been wanting to watch Bengals play on local channels.I discovered I only have two of ten locals and not the one I need. I have tried working with Direct Tech over phone and have not been able to get problem fixed. They say I need to have a tech service call. I tried the tech help online forum and they sent me here to see if 6.4a upgrade is available and how to get it.

Background

Everything works great except locals.

Signal strength is 95 on both Sat in cables for the transponder. The system upgrade is 6.1-01-2. I have been told I will not get locals till it is ungraded to 6.4a. I am an old man and not able to much technical. Will I be able to use this receiver for locals?
d1940u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #616
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1940u View Post
I have searched this forum trying to find a fix and have not been able solve my problem.

I have a R10 that is used for grand kids to watch there recorded shows. Lately I have been wanting to watch Bengals play on local channels.I discovered I only have two of ten locals and not the one I need. I have tried working with Direct Tech over phone and have not been able to get problem fixed. They say I need to have a tech service call. I tried the tech help online forum and they sent me here to see if 6.4a upgrade is available and how to get it.

Background

Everything works great except locals.

Signal strength is 95 on both Sat in cables for the transponder. The system upgrade is 6.1-01-2. I have been told I will not get locals till it is ungraded to 6.4a. I am an old man and not able to much technical. Will I be able to use this receiver for locals?
Weaknees used to provide a service where they would upgrade your DirecTivo to the latest 6.4a software, so you might check with them. Or perhaps considers this a good time to move to the newer DirecTV DVR platform.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #617
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1940u View Post
.. Will I be able to use this receiver for locals?
Most likely not without jumping through all kinds of hoops. A guide update caused the locals to disappear from Tivos that were not up to the last firmware.

I know in my case I had three of these units lose locals, tech support kept blowing it off and telling me to just make sure they were plugged in the phone line, which they always were. Well, after over 2 weeks of no help by DirecTV, I was left with no real options, but to replace my boxes for $600 from DirecTV, or switch to another provider. I ended up switching to Dish with all new equipment, that included more rooms with whole home DVR, and all at a way better price. Now of course DirecTV offers me free equipment and all kinds of free programming to come back, but after tasting the customer service and technology I have with Dish, I can't see giving them another chance at this time.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #618
tomc585

Im guessing you didnt have that unit connected via phone line when the updates were being pushed. Took me a long time to get mine updated. Im not sure if they are even pushing it anymore.
1) You can either update the software yourself (or buy a replacement drive that's updated already)
2) Buy / Acquire another DVR used thats up to date.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #619
tomc585

I know these units are old but just incase anybody needs it I was able to make a backup of the 6.4a image from my hughes series 2 sd unit via mfs tools (what a life saver).

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #620
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc585 View Post
I know these units are old but just incase anybody needs it I was able to make a backup of the 6.4a image from my hughes series 2 sd unit via mfs tools (what a life saver).
Do you already have a free DropBox account?

(they're very handy for hosting TiVo images)

If not, and you let me refer you, we can both get extra free space.

PM me to learn how.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #621
wscannell

Does anyone know whether 6.4a is still available via unit phone call(s)?
wscannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #622
wscannell

Answered my own question - tried it and after about 1.5 hours on the phone was pending restart. One one call was required. 6.4a now on machine.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #623
tomc585

Good to know. What machine are you updating?

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #624
wscannell

Seems to work for a DSR7000/DVR39 and SD-DVR40. I imagine it works for any version of 6.4a. So I think you should be ok for your SD-DVR.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #625
tomc585

I have it already on my sd dvr. I have a DVR-R10 that I haven't had on in a while, wondering if i should activate it just to update it so its ready if i need it.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #626
wscannell

You do not have to activate it. Just set it up and let it phone home. It should download the update.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #627
tomc585

interesting...will give it a try.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100