Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #2431
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Why can you not use your laptop?
I'm assuming that he is directly connecting them to SATA ports and not using docks.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #2432
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill25 View Post
well I guess they could, but now in all my trials, I have somehow managed to break my desktop

It wont even power on now, so looks like i might just have to forget about my shows and season passes etc.... and just buy a new TiVo altogether ...... Not What I wanted to do, looks like I bought a 2 TB hard drive for no reason, just flushing more money down the drain

I really hope I can fix it, I dont want this to have to cost me another $150 as well for a new motherboard for the desktop too
What's the model number of the Asus motherboard in the desktop?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #2433
oneill25

I didnt think it would work as well on my laptop.. but I just checked and the disc will boot from it...... now the problem is, I have to go fine a SATA to USB device/ cable..... anyone know where I can get one cheap and quick?

yes for desktop, i was using SATA cables, for laptop now I need USB or dock.....

the ASUS motherboard model is M5A99FX PRO R2.0
oneill25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #2434
jmbach

A USB3 dock would be handy. However if you use JMFS, plug it in a USB2 port.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #2435
oneill25

Wait, it has to be USB 2???, my laptop only has USB 3 ports...
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #2436
jmbach

Most of the time in my experience it works fine. I did have one computer that it didn't. Plugging it in a USB2 is just insurance on it working.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #2437
unitron

Quote:
I didnt think it would work as well on my laptop.. but I just checked and the disc will boot from it...... now the problem is, I have to go fine a SATA to USB device/ cable..... anyone know where I can get one cheap and quick?

yes for desktop, i was using SATA cables, for laptop now I need USB or dock.....

the ASUS motherboard model is M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Okay, that motherboard is too new for my theory about what might be wrong to be of any use.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #2438
oneill25

Well SATA didnt work with my desktop. I finally got a dock to hook up the two harddrives, now the program does not recognize that a TiVo is hooked up... guess I'll have to try and copy another way
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #2439
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well SATA didnt work with my desktop. I finally got a dock to hook up the two harddrives, now the program does not recognize that a TiVo is hooked up... guess I'll have to try and copy another way
You say "a dock". Is this a dual drive dock? That does not always work. See if JMFS recognizes the TiVo drive if it is the only drive in the dock.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #2440
oneill25

yes a dual dock....well what do ya know, it recognizes it, if only the TiVo drive is in it..... now I have to get it to recognize it with the blank drive as well
Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #2441
oneill25

well it recongizes the tivo drive, but says "the MFS structure can not be verified on this drive - probably due to an error" I can still copy it tho.... is that a big issue? Should I still be fine to copy it?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #2442
oneill25

finally, it is copying.... thank goodness I made an error with the first dock I ordered, and have not sent it back yet and have second dock..... so two dual docks each with one drive..... tho if I only would have known the dock might not have worked, would have tried something else (on another positive note, geek squad at best buy was able to determine I didnt screw up my motherboard, my graphics card was messed up and still under warranty)...... and st this rate (copying a 1TB drive to a 2 TB drive, i thin it is gonna take awhile, i think I saw someone (either in the comments here or on the youtube video that told me to come here) say it took them 15 hrs
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2443
jmbach

What the brand of dock do you have.
How is it connected to the computer: USB3, USB2, eSata.

Is the TiVo drive you are trying to recognize a working drive or one that is having problems.

What is the history of the image on the drive. Native image, downloaded image, expended image.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #2444
oneill25

the brand is EZO Ware... it is what I could find on amazon.... well it is made to be able to do usb 3, but using with usb 2 on comp.....

yes the TiVo drive started having reboot issues the other day

history of image of drive??

i have another brand dock i am using for the blank drive, so usine 2 docks and it seemed to be working, until it said "Copy did not finish successfully" and ask if i want to retry when i say yes, it tries again but quickly displays same message

ddrescue: write error: input/output error
Copy did not finish successfully. Wold you like to retry?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #2445
lpwcomp

Quote:
the brand is EZO Ware... it is what I could find on amazon.... well it is made to be able to do usb 3, but using with usb 2 on comp.....

yes the TiVo drive started having reboot issues the other day

history of image of drive??

i have another brand dock i am using for the blank drive, so usine 2 docks and it seemed to be working, until it said "Copy did not finish successfully" and ask if i want to retry when i say yes, it tries again but quickly displays same message

ddrescue: write error: input/output error
Copy did not finish successfully. Wold you like to retry?
You may need to install a fresh image on the new drive. You'll lose all of the settings and recordings, but it is better than nothing.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #2446
oneill25

and how would I do a fresh image? I would I get access to it?

I would up exiting out of it, to try again. Now I cant get the software to recognize the new drive, i even tried formatting it, to see if that would allow it to be recognized..... this has become such a hassle... it seems like so many people had no problems, and i have just had one after another

i guess ill try a bit more..... but i may just have to call tivo and see about getting a new one

I think they said, with me being out of warranty for almost a year, i could get a new one same model for like 150, plus 200 to transfer my lifetime service
Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #2447
lpwcomp

Quote:
Go to this thread and ask for a link to an image for your model.

You'll also need to acquire the DvrBARS software. It's free.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #2448
ggieseke

Quote:
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #2449
oneill25

ok i got both things.... the DVrBARS software says it copies a tivo drive..... if i am using the fresh image, how do i need to put it on the blank drive?

Also the fresh image is a zip file and when i click on it to open it says it is invalid, and when i try to extract it, it says it is empty
Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #2450
lpwcomp

Quote:
ok i got both things.... the DVrBARS software says it copies a tivo drive..... if i am using the fresh image, how do i need to put it on the blank drive?

Also the fresh image is a zip file and when i click on it to open it says it is invalid, and when i try to extract it, it says it is empty
DvrBaRS stands for Digital Video Recorder Backup And Restore Software.

You use DvrBARS to restore the compressed image (that was created by using DvrBARS to backup someone else's working drive) to the new drive. You do not unzip it.

Attach the new drive to your computer. Run DvrBARS. Select the "Restore" option, enter the location of the image file and the drive to which you wish it restored. After it completes, put it in your TiVo, start it up and run a "Clear & Delete Everything".

Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #2451
oneill25

so after doing that, do i still need to run the jmfs program to expand or supersize.... the new drive is 2 TB
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #2452
lpwcomp

Quote:
so after doing that, do i still need to run the jmfs program to expand or supersize.... the new drive is 2 TB
Presumably, the image is from a stock drive, so the answer is yes, you need to use JMFS to expand and supersize.

Do that before putting it in the TiVo.

Also, sorry to ask if you posted this earlier, but what is the make and model of the new drive?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #2453
oneill25

make and model of new drive is: WD 20EUEX - 63T0FY0, it is an AV drive

edit: Well now this DvrBARS software is not recognizing the new drive
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #2454
lpwcomp

Quote:
make and model of new drive is: WD 20EUEX - 63T0FY0, it is an AV drive

edit: Well now this DvrBARS software is not recognizing the new drive
Greg is probably going to have to help you at this point. You might try closing DvrBARS, unplugging the drive and plugging it back in and then restarting DvrBARS or even rebooting your computer. Or doing it with your laptop.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #2455
ggieseke

You do have to unzip the download to extract the .VHD file that DvrBARS uses. If Windows won't recognize it as a valid zip file try downloading a fresh copy. The MD5 hash for that particular zip file should be 392401741E1865E15DFEF8B26BA6034F.

DvrBARS will recognize any drive that Windows Disk Manager can see as an uninitialized blank drive. If you already hooked up the 2TB and let Disk Manager initialize it you will have to delete any volumes or partitions in DM. There's an option to show mounted drives in DvrBARS, but as a safety precaution it won't overwrite one - you have to do that manually. I took the coward's approach so that nobody would say "that &#% Greg wiped my files.

The TCD748000 image that I sent you came from my own factory fresh XL and it was never powered up. You might even be able to skip the C&DE step, but you will still have to use jmfs to expand it from 1TB to 2TB.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #2456
lpwcomp

Sorry for putting out the misinformation. I thought the vhd file was already compressed and that zipping it wouldn't reduce the size. My bad.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #2457
cfcubed

Another success story but had to get creative HW-wise

Last week the 2- or 3-yr old 1TB WD DVR expander on my Premiere died so I ordered another (the newest 1TB model). But not a big fan of the external drive thing & unsure of the life left in my Tivo's internal 320GB drive, decided I'd pull the new 1TB expander HD & fit it into the Tivo. Did something similar to an S2 years back using tools directly (mfslive?).

Having migrated to Macs in 2009 only have an old eMachines & a $75 ebay Dell for my CNC setup to work with. Problems: both had only 2 MB SATA ports, eMachine's CD/DVD drive is shot, Dell's HD power cable way too short & connected to buried HD. Found longish SATA cables BUT neither PC could do the job alone, so power from the eMachines + SATA/CD-ROM from Dell did the trick:

Of course taking ESD precautions... About 4 hrs later popped the 1TB in and if I'd WAITED 15-30 mins for Tivo to boot all the way to LiveTV then all would be well. Important to wait for full Tivo reboot, I didn't at first & hit the Tivo button after 15 mins or so when it had a blank screen - Got to view settings & it spontaneously rebooted. All was fine after that only because I let it boot all the way until it showed LiveTV.

Tossed comer some $$, of course, for this nice utility - easier & less stress than I remember my DT upgrade being

Last edited by cfcubed : 01-31-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo
cfcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #2458
turbo327
Ret Network Janitor

My apology in advance if this is OBE info and is here somewhere, or there is an updated procedure the OP has provided??

Searches return zip for me... re: the new WD 2TB drive WD20EURX, which is the WD replacement/follow-on to the WD20EURS. I understand the WD20EURS's after January 2013 are said to be coming from WD with the Intellipark featured disabled. So... any need to run WDIdle3 utility on a the 'newer' WD20EURX? (Darn WD... I cannot keep up here)

Thanks in advance to the OP (Comer) and all who have piled on here since!! PayPal sent to ya Comer. Get it ice cold and let me know! :-)

(Going to update my Premiere 4 XL to 2TB, its got 4 years on it and just want to be sane... )

Gerry-
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #2459
turbo327
Ret Network Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcubed View Post
Problems: both had only 2 MB SATA ports, eMachine's CD/DVD drive is shot, Dell's HD power cable way too short & connected to buried HD. Found longish SATA cables BUT neither PC could do the job alone, so power from the eMachines + SATA/CD-ROM from Dell did the trick.

Tossed comer some $$, of course, for this nice utility - easier & less stress than I remember my DT upgrade being
Seems like an essential jury rig to me. Old PCs just sometimes have to serve some purpose!

Comer hopefully will be chillin' some cool ones from me tonight as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #2460
scoombs

I would appreciate some guidance on best approach to upgrade a 746320 for my in-laws, that is not geographically near to me. Basically, which will be simplest (mainly for them), though I see no way to eliminate their need to open the box and swap drives:

- Have them ship me the original drive, copy/expand and ship new drive back to them.
- Get a donor base image, restore/expand and ship to them, C&DE.
- Get a donor 2TB image (if available), restore and ship to them, C&DE.
- Any way to use my Elite as a donor image, ship to them, C&DE?

Thanks

Last edited by scoombs : 02-04-2014 at 01:15 PM.
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote