TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

If none of the channels are encrypted then they are not required to give you a card. It,s basically like an analog package at that point. They are only required to provide a card if you are required to use a box.

That being said their policy on this is very anti-consumer! The guy is willing to pay for the service and the card, why not give it to him? Personally I would do what someone suggested above. Order the minimum package required for them to give you a card. After a month call and have them lower your service level to the basic package you want. At that point you have the card so they're not going to take it away.

Buying one on eBay is also an option. But as mentioned they are most likely stolen, in that someone kept them after they canceled their service, so if that's against your ethics then you have other options. Although if you're going to do this you'll have to make sure to get an M-Card of the same brand used by your cable company.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #32
JosephB

Again, I highly doubt there is a policy on the books at TWC that says if you get basic only you cannot get a CableCard. You are paying for it, it doesn't impose any increased burden than that they'd otherwise have in providing you service. I wholeheartedly believe that this was just a CSR and supervisor being idiots.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #33
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Again, I highly doubt there is a policy on the books at TWC that says if you get basic only you cannot get a CableCard. You are paying for it, it doesn't impose any increased burden than that they'd otherwise have in providing you service. I wholeheartedly believe that this was just a CSR and supervisor being idiots.
I've witnessed the policy at Comcast first hand with a friend, there was no possible way to get a CableCARD in his market for the "basic services" or "lifeline" level of service, he needed to bump up to Digital Basic and then drop down after a month.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
There are numerous ways to get a cablecard that it is not stolen.
Go ahead, name two legitimate ways to obtain a cablecard outside of your cable provider. We'll wait. It is very, very well known that this can't be done outside of the cable provider, and if you do get one, it'll be locked to that provider. Thusly, yes, those selling them are selling stolen cards
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #35
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
Go ahead, name two legitimate ways to obtain a cablecard outside of your cable provider. We'll wait. It is very, very well known that this can't be done outside of the cable provider, and if you do get one, it'll be locked to that provider. Thusly, yes, those selling them are selling stolen cards
Several smaller cable providers in the US allow you to buy a cablecard outright. So it is possible these customers end up selling them. However, most cards on eBay are not from these customers.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #36
socrplyr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Several smaller cable providers in the US allow you to buy a cablecard outright. So it is possible these customers end up selling them. However, most cards on eBay are not from these customers.
That's one. Two would be that after a cable company scraps a box, they are most likely sold to an electronics recycler (I know at least one eBay reseller of them is an electronics recycler). Remember that the cable companies ignore the intent of the Cablecard rules and never remove the cablecards from their own equipment. Three would be anyone who didn't return their equipment, but paid the equipment replacement fee.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #37
JosephB

There is a chance that a cablecard from ebay is not stolen, but the overwhelming likelihood is that they are. There are no absolutes in life but this is close to one.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #38
lessd

Quote:
There is a chance that a cablecard from ebay is not stolen, but the overwhelming likelihood is that they are. There are no absolutes in life but this is close to one.
What would be considered a stolen cable card, yes taking it off the back of your cable co van, but moving and taking your cable card with you and paying the cable co for the card that was not returned, I don't think that would be having a stolen cable card, breaking into someone's home and taking their cable card, that a stolen cable card. If you report your cable card stolen or lost the cable co would de-active the card, in my Comcast area within a few days that cable card would not work for any channels.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #39
BobCamp1

Quote:
It's not a policy per se, it's just that the ordering computer system doesn't allow it. Perhaps their system will not allow them to activate the Cablecards. Perhaps they can't even give you one of their DVRs unless you upgrade to a higher tier.

They don't appear to be legally obligated to give the OP a card in this case. The OP is just trying to workaround a problem with his Tivo. The Tivo is not designed to work with basic tier, either (there's no manual QAM mapping). And it's probably not worth fixing the cable system or the Tivo code for the very few people who need this feature.

The workaround advertised by everyone is to get a higher tier for a month, then downgrade back to a basic tier. You'll get a CableCard and everything will be happy.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #40
kturcotte

Now we're having fun. Picked up the card yesterday. That went fine until they told me there was a filter on my line to block tv because I only have internet. That I was expecting. However, I was told that the earliest they could come out to remove it is 3 weeks, and that I have to keep the card and the programming active until they remove the filter, cause if they're not active, it cancels the order to remove the order. They REALLY don't want to let you use cable cards huh? So talking an above poster's advice, I said that I also had another tv I wanted programming on, and I would need with their absolute cheapest box and I'll use that. Well then "MAGICALLY" they can send somebody out to remove the filter on Thursday. Isn't that just AMAZING?! What they don't realize is that as soon as the filter is removed their box goes back.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #41
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Go ahead, name two legitimate ways to obtain a cablecard outside of your cable provider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
That's one.
You've failed to grasp the entire point
#1: Outside of the cable provider
#2: Shady at best
#3: Theft

Even if you do manage to pull off getting a card legitimately, the odds of being able to activate it at your cable company, not so much
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
socrplyr

Quote:
You've failed to grasp the entire point
#1: Outside of the cable provider
#2: Shady at best
#3: Theft

Even if you do manage to pull off getting a card legitimately, the odds of being able to activate it at your cable company, not so much
#1: What's the problem with getting it outside the provider? I think they should allow you to activate your own if you do get one... Nothing in the cablecard rules states that the card must come from the provider directly, but the cable companies take advantage of the ambiguity.
#2: Not shady at all. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't recycle and reuse electronics? The cable companies decide to sell the boxes all on their own.
#3: You might want to double check your definition of theft. Something paid for is by definition not theft. I highly doubt the cable companies have a clause in the agreement when you pay for non-returned equipment they they still hold the ownership of the equipment. And legally that wouldn't fly most places.

I don't understand why you are so insistent that just because something is not typically sold direct to consumers that it is wrong/shady/illegal to obtain.

Edit: Sorry I took the discussion way off topic. I concede any further statement to try and keep the thread useful for the original poster.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #43
lessd

Except in the same system nobody has reported any success using a 3rd pty cable card stolen or not. No one has reported that their cable co would pare any cable card you provided, except some small cable systems that let you purchase the cable card from them directly.
When people start reporting that E-Bay purchased Cable cards will work then the fun will start.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #44
jcthorne

TWC will only activate TWC cable cards. Same is true for Comcast and most other cablecos. NONE of them sell cable cards. Ever. Only in Canada are cable cards sold outright. In the US they are all leased. By the month or one time payment does not matter, none are sold.

If a TWC, Comcast or other US cable card is for sale on fleabay, its stolen merchandise. Ebay routinely removes these listings as they are fraudulent.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #45
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When people start reporting that E-Bay purchased Cable cards will work then the fun will start.
There needs to be the disclaimer that ebay purchased cards can allow a user to do ClearQAM channel mapping if they're the correct brand, but nothing more, and the CableCo will not pair them.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #46
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Now we're having fun. Picked up the card yesterday. That went fine until they told me there was a filter on my line to block tv because I only have internet. That I was expecting. However, I was told that the earliest they could come out to remove it is 3 weeks, and that I have to keep the card and the programming active until they remove the filter, cause if they're not active, it cancels the order to remove the order. They REALLY don't want to let you use cable cards huh? So talking an above poster's advice, I said that I also had another tv I wanted programming on, and I would need with their absolute cheapest box and I'll use that. Well then "MAGICALLY" they can send somebody out to remove the filter on Thursday. Isn't that just AMAZING?! What they don't realize is that as soon as the filter is removed their box goes back.
I've noticed with TWC that they get these fiefdoms... and the fiefdoms can be awful. But corporate, in my experience, has actually been pretty great. But if your local fiefdom is awful, they will make you run in circles to get what they want.

Try going above the local numbers to the corporate numbers, raise a stink, and see what happens. Our local guys are trying hard, but we're a recent TWC acquisition, so they just don't know how to do a lot of stuff yet. But when I get the corporate guys on the phone, they get it all done fast.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #47
pbubel

Quote:
Aside from smaller providers selling them, how about if you lose your cablecard in a move. Then the provider charges you a non-returned equipment fee which you have to pay. 6 months later you find the card and sell it on eBay to recover some of what you lost. Not saying this is likely, but its very much possible.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #48
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
Aside from smaller providers selling them, how about if you lose your cablecard in a move. Then the provider charges you a non-returned equipment fee which you have to pay. 6 months later you find the card and sell it on eBay to recover some of what you lost. Not saying this is likely, but its very much possible.
It is still a stolen card as you never actually purchased it. You only paid a fee to cover the cableco's financial loss. Its not the same thing.

Again, there are NO cable companies in the US that SELL cable card. They only lease with very specific license terms that do not allow you to transfer ownership. They are ALL the property of the Cable company that issued them.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #49
pbubel

Where are you getting that from? If you pay the non returned equipment fee, that gear is yours. Why wouldn't it be?
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #50
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Again, there are NO cable companies in the US that SELL cable card.
That is NOT true. There have been plenty of threads here about smaller cable companies only allowing customers to purchase them full price (and not lease them).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #51
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
Where are you getting that from? If you pay the non returned equipment fee, that gear is yours. Why wouldn't it be?
If you report a lost item to your insurance co and they give you the money for that item than sometime later you find that item do you think you own the item, and can sell it ? The insurance co owns the item, the cable co owns the cable card and it should be returned to them, and the cable co should return your money.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #52
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If you report a lost item to your insurance co and they give you the money for that item than sometime later you find that item do you think you own the item, and can sell it ? The insurance co owns the item, the cable co owns the cable card and it should be returned to them, and the cable co should return your money.
Wait, so if the insurance company pays for something, they own it, but if you pay for something, then the Cable Company still owns it? That makes no sense.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #53
LoPan12

In a slightly different flavor of this...I've got digital basic cable, to get channels in HD. They say that there's no way that I can have this without also having their box, and the ensuing $8/mo fee. It's never even been hooked up, but they say that I HAVE to have it to have the digital cable...is this right?
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #54
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPan12 View Post
In a slightly different flavor of this...I've got digital basic cable, to get channels in HD. They say that there's no way that I can have this without also having their box, and the ensuing $8/mo fee. It's never even been hooked up, but they say that I HAVE to have it to have the digital cable...is this right?
There's talk of TWC moving to eventually encrypt all channels, but AFAIK, they've not done this anywhere yet. Typically, TWC sends all of the Local Broadcast stations and sub-channels unencrypted and can be viewed by any device with a Digital cable tuner after performing a manual channel scan.

With that said, I believe Digital Basic includes a few other channels besides the CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX etc. channels. Those would require a box from TWC or a CableCARD to view since those are encrypted.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote