TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
laria
Librocubicularist

UI Irritations - any solution/workaround for these?

Now that I've been using our Roamio for a month, there are a couple of things that irritate me about the UI and I'm wondering if there's just some way of dealing with these that I just am not aware of coming from the S3.

1. Getting to the first episode in a folder - On the S3, I used to just hit channel down until I was at the bottom of the folder, which either left me at the episode I wanted to play or on the 1 line ad, and I just had to arrow up once. But now at the bottom of the folders on the Roamio there's the ad plus a bunch of other things. If I page down I'm often left needing to arrow up a number of times to get to the first show. Is there any way to just go to the bottom show rather than the bottom of the whole folder?

2. Viewing episode descriptions - On the S3, you could use channel up/down to scroll through the episode descriptions within a folder. I've started to get used to backing out, up/down arrowing, and going back in. Except the list of shows is not fully drawn when you back out, and it refreshes between the time that I go back to the list and the time that I hit the up/down arrow, which always leaves me highlighting the show I just looked at. I usually go too fast about 3 times in a row before I can force myself to pause and wait for the list to redraw before moving to the next show. Is there any solution to this other than "learn to be more patient"?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
1. Getting to the first episode in a folder - On the S3, I used to just hit channel down until I was at the bottom of the folder, which either left me at the episode I wanted to play or on the 1 line ad, and I just had to arrow up once. But now at the bottom of the folders on the Roamio there's the ad plus a bunch of other things. If I page down I'm often left needing to arrow up a number of times to get to the first show. Is there any way to just go to the bottom show rather than the bottom of the whole folder?
Not directly, but when still in My Shows, pressing the "Play" button while highlighting the show's folder will initiate the "Play All" setting which would start with the oldest episode in the folder. The end result is similar. I forget if you have the option to delete at the end, or if it just starts playing the next show.

Quote:
2. Viewing episode descriptions - On the S3, you could use channel up/down to scroll through the episode descriptions within a folder. I've started to get used to backing out, up/down arrowing, and going back in. Except the list of shows is not fully drawn when you back out, and it refreshes between the time that I go back to the list and the time that I hit the up/down arrow, which always leaves me highlighting the show I just looked at. I usually go too fast about 3 times in a row before I can force myself to pause and wait for the list to redraw before moving to the next show. Is there any solution to this other than "learn to be more patient"?
This one will require patience. Many people have commented on the channel up/down method of going through shows in the past, but it seems Tivo doesn't have any desire to make it the same as the SDUI.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Now that I've been using our Roamio for a month, there are a couple of things that irritate me about the UI and I'm wondering if there's just some way of dealing with these that I just am not aware of coming from the S3.

#2 for me is a biggie as well (just upgraded to a roamio from a S3).

For example, I have Modern Family recorded, and have MANY episodes in a folder. If i'm on one episode looking at the description, if I wanted to look quickly at the description of other episodes in the same folder, I'd just press channel up/down. You can't do that with a roamio. You have to left arrow out of the description, then go up or down then into the next episode to read its description. Any way to make this function more like the S3?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Not directly, but when still in My Shows, pressing the "Play" button while highlighting the show's folder will initiate the "Play All" setting which would start with the oldest episode in the folder. The end result is similar. I forget if you have the option to delete at the end, or if it just starts playing the next show.
Ah, ok, I will give that a try.

Quote:
This one will require patience. Many people have commented on the channel up/down method of going through shows in the past, but it seems Tivo doesn't have any desire to make it the same as the SDUI.
Yeah, I was pretty sure there was no way to get the old behavior, but I was kind of hoping for a miracle. It would only be a little annoying, instead of a lot annoying, if the folder list didn't redraw right after you moved back out and shift the shows out from under you.