TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #61
jgametest

Some activity on Plex Forums

Went digging in the support forums and I found this link.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...or-tivo-html5/

there is a voting section for the team to work on projects with the most votes. I tried clicking on it, but since I'm not a Plex Pass subscriber I was not allowed access

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php...tvs-tivo-more/

jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #62
ntlord

Yea, the plexpass thread just has a bunch of people requesting it, nobody is actually trying to do anything about it. I think it's fair to say that we (in this thread) have gotten the furthest. The good news is that because the Tivo supports MPEG-DASH, it should be possible, which is better than we were before when we thought it was going to be impossible because of lack of HLS support. The problem is that it is going to take a lot of work because Plex outputs what is in-effect a proprietary MPD file (containing those variables I mentioned earlier).

For this to work, somebody would have to write some Javascript to parse the proprietary MPD file, fill in the proper variables and make the calls to get the individual chunks. The rest can then be handled by passing the chunks to the MediaSource API. The Plex javascript for chromecast I posted earlier, already does all of this but it is obsfucated so its not easy to figure out how. Nevertheless, if somebody were good with Javascript they could probably repurpose the Chromecast javascript.

My problem is that I'm no longer a developer, and my skills are pretty rusty. Further, work is going to become pretty busy for me over the next 3-months, and therefore I don't have the considerable time (given my rusty programming skills) it would take for me to make this happen. Although, I believe there is enough information in this thread to give someone else the tools needed to make this happen.
ntlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #63
jgametest

Wink Perhaps switch directions

Do you think our outcome would be more interesting if we tried to launch this as an open request from Kickstarter? It seems if the reason is enough and has a big fan base things happen. Look at the results of the Veronica Mars Movie or products that launched from it.

Perhaps we could make a plea to any or all willing participants to donate either time or funds to get this idea off the ground. It seems like all though our hearts are in the right place we are against a few factors (Time and Money).

https://www.kickstarter.com/
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #64
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo doesn't have nearly that kind of user base to support a Kickstarter program...

And frankly, I do not think you would like the end product anyway of these video / audio limitations cannot be overcome.

I will continue to use PyTiVo to transfer content from my library - and if I get really tired of that lutdated solution, I will pick up a cheap Chromecast.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #65
jgametest

very true

I'm thinking I am close to declaring defeat. We have 5 days before our cable is cut off. Wife has been recording as much as possible for the kids (shows) that are not available on Hulu or Netflix. It's funny since I have been searching so much on Amazon for Chromecast and Roku in Bing, this is all the ad's that hit my browser on my laptop. Now my inquiry nags me trying to appeal for an answer. That's what I call aggressive advertising.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #66
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo, lutdated? Pshaw, I say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #67
ntlord

Again, I reiterate that it this is almost certainly possible. There shouldn't be any video limitations, but it's possible that we can only achieve 2.0 audio.

For me, it's not about the money, so a kickstarter doesn't mean anything. I truly don't have the time.

If someone could convince the Plex devels, to let us have a look at the chromecast JavaScript unobsfucated, then it may be more achievable in the short term.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #68
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo, lutdated? Pshaw, I say.
Interesting typo...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #69
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Interesting typo...
I just copied it from your post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #70
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I just copied it from your post.
I know - I was talking about "my" interesting typo. And my intention wasn't to offend, I have been using PyTiVo for years...

OTOH, the only SD menu that ticks me off is the "My Videos" share, and I can't watch videos from my library on my Minis...

I use the PyTiVo shares a lot!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #71
ntlord

Ok. I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news. I GOT IT WORKING!!

I hacked the google javascript code I posted earlier and the LG interface. It is fully working, but very hacked together.

Now, the bad news. I have a very limited amount of time to work on this. So, it would probably take me months until I could get something release ready. So, I will post it at some point in the very near future, and hopefully someone else can take it from there.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #72
jmbach

Looks like somebody is actively working on it. New Development - Opera TV App Store (Tivo, Sony TV, Samsung BluRay, etc.) Perhaps you can add your knowledge to his.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #73
ntlord

I'm not sure how active that development is since the developer seems to have gone radio silent for the last few weeks.

In any event, my code can be downloaded below:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Q1V0zC5J!dz3fTJ...cM4WhsY9lrHThA

You need to run it in a web server, and then point the Tivo to it via the URL loader. As I said before it is very preliminary, and the code is pretty hacky. But I think it is a pretty good start.

A few issues I know about:
  • It's painfully slow if a you have a big library <--this will take some more serious tweaking with how the posters from TV Shows and Movies are displayed.
  • The sliders are visible in some of the library menus <--I'm sure this is some weird CSS thing. I'm a novice those when it comes to that kind of stuff
  • There seems to be some remnants of previous screens when you transition through the pages
  • No fast forwarding and rewinding <--this might require some effort, but its possible
  • The timer bar when a movie is playing is not working <--should be pretty easy to get working
  • Resuming from a place within a video doesn't work <--should be pretty easy
  • Subtitles are on by default <- this is really easily fixed. Just tweak a setting in inside the transcoder.
  • Display is slightly askew on a Mini. Works fine on my roamio though.

Last edited by ntlord : 08-10-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #74
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlord View Post
I'm not sure how active that development is since the developer seems to have gone radio silent for the last few weeks.

In any event, my code can be downloaded below:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Q1V0zC5J!dz3fTJ...cM4WhsY9lrHThA

You need to run it in a web server, and then point the Tivo to it via the URL loader. As I said before it is very preliminary, and the code is pretty hacky. But I think it is a pretty good start.

A few issues I know about:
  • It's painfully slow if a you have a big library <--this will take some more serious tweaking with how the posters from TV Shows and Movies are displayed.
  • The sliders are visible in some of the library menus <--I'm sure this is some weird CSS thing. I'm a novice those when it comes to that kind of stuff
  • There seems to be some remnants of previous screens when you transition through the pages
  • No fast forwarding and rewinding <--this might require some effort, but its possible
  • The timer bar when a movie is playing is not working <--should be pretty easy to get working
  • Resuming from a place within a video doesn't work <--should be pretty easy
  • Subtitles are on by default <- this is really easily fixed. Just tweak a setting in inside the transcoder.
  • Display is slightly askew on a Mini. Works fine on my roamio though.
Great progress!

Something doesn't look right in some of the code though. In system/script/player.js the forward & rewind functions make references such as:
this.media.playPosition
this.media.playTime
this.media.seek(pos);

However this.media = document.getElementById("v") and in player.html:
<video id="v" width="1280" height="720" ></video>

i.e. It's an html5 video object which doesn't have the above properties or the seek function, so I'm confused by the above?

Back when I implemented my trial player, I used video object "currentTime" property for setting play position. So in this case for skip forwards it should be something like:
this.media.currentTime += 30;
clearInterval(this.timer);
And for skip backwards, something like:
this.media.currentTime -= 8;
clearInterval(this.timer);

However, in this application the above sometimes work as expected but mostly not - i.e. very flaky behavior. It seems related to how much video buffer is available whether they work or not. And for a transcoding application I don't know if time-based positioning will work properly?

And for calculating scrollbar pct position it would be:
this.media.currentTime*100/this.media.duration
The above returns consistent/proper number so can be used to set scrollbar position.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #75
ntlord

Ok. I've got one better. I got HLS working!

All you need to do is change the Plex transcode profile to make the audio AAC, and everything works. If you point it to the m3u8 file in the video tag.

To be clear: plex initially returns an MPD file, which points to the .m3u8 file. You would need to deal with that, but that is super simple - not true, the mpd file works too

Since dash is super complicated to get working, that seems like the much easier path.

Also with respect to the seeking. It doesn't look right because I left a bunch of the old code in there from the LG app. That's why you are confused. You can assume that any code you find in there is from the LG app, and needs to be retrofitted to work.

Last edited by ntlord : 08-11-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #76
ntlord

I've updated the code to work with HLS instead of dash

It can be downloaded here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!A4UnGB6C!3XNMhq...G0OeqWMKfdDvto

The buffer bar, fast forward and rewind should be working now.

The only thing left to fix is the GUI stuff, and then its ready to roll.

Inside the zip is a file called "Tivo.xml" place that in your profiles directory in your Plex install

edit: wrong url, it's now fixed

edit2: ff/rewind does not seem to be working. It works in safari though, so it might be a limitation of the Tivo

edit3: I "fixed" the weird fading that occurs when you transition from the section titles to the recently added items. I just disabled the previews.

Last edited by ntlord : 08-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #77
moyekj

There are still some issues with time display (for me the "total" part of "current/total" doesn't display) and the time bar is not updated - those can probably be fixed pretty easily. However setting currentTime doesn't seem to work at all now so skip forwards and backwards don't work. I don't think it's entirely TiVo Opera browser issue because I was able to get skip to work in my non transcoding prototype TiVo media player. But that was probably about a year ago or longer, so I need to go back and try that again to see if it still works there. It could be related to how Plex serves up the video to the TiVo Opera browser that is the issue.
Without functioning skip the usefulness of this application is greatly reduced.
I haven't yet tried FF/REW (instead of skip) accomplished by changing play back speed to see if that works yet.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #78
ntlord

I'm starting to think that might be an HLS thing. But I'm not sure.

The reason why the bar is messed up has to do with the duration element. It seems to be returning NaN. The easy fix is to just grab the duration from the plex XML.

I worked on this a bit more last night, and got it fixed up.

One issue left that I'm having trouble with is the aspect ratio. In my version using dash it seemed to work fine (the video element would automagically resize). For the HLS version, the aspect ratio is off (the video element just sizes to the full scree). I'm not an HTML/CSS expert, so I'm kind of at a loss with this one.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #79
moyekj

For the aspect ratio issue if you look at video element in player.html it defines width & height as 100% which I don't think was the case for the Dash version:
Code:
<video
    width="100%"
    height="100%"
    autoStart="true"
    id="player">
</video>
I suspect the issue may be that. Perhaps removing those width/height parameters would fix the problem?

I think the duration issue can be resolved by getting duration inside video object "loadedmetadata" trigger event, since the property doesn't get set until the video is loaded and when that event is triggered.

A question for you. When working on this I find it very frustrating that the TiVo Opera browser seems to cache code, so when I make changes to code and run it again on the TiVo, I don't have a way to clear the cache and force my updated code to be loaded. I end up renaming a bunch of files and giving a different URL to the URL Loader to make it work, but that gets old in a hurry. Do you know a way of clearing/flushing the TiVo Opera browser cache short of rebooting the TiVo?

Last edited by moyekj : 08-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #80
ntlord

I tried that. I think I had 1280x720 in the dAsh version. No go. I also tried no parameter and just setting width to 100%. Also no go
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #81
moyekj

Inside "loadedmetadata" trigger event function I think you can get videoHeight and videoWidth properties of the source video and then based on that decide how to size the video while preserving the aspect ratio?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #82
ntlord

Thanks. I read somewhere that might work. I'll give that a shot when I have a chance.

As to caching. I just change the directory I have it stored on my laptop. It's not fancy, but it works.

One thing I was planning to do was change all of the javascript imports to passing fake parameters, like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...avascript-file

I should probably get a github setup with this so we aren't duplicating efforts.

I've fixed a few issues already. For example, you can speed up the thumbnail loading, but doing one massive append to the html instead of appending each thumbnail. I also fixed the weird scroll bars too.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #83
moyekj

For the video sizing issue, I post relevant snippets from my previously written player which used to size videos properly.
The video element in html had this:
Code:
<video id="video" autoplay height="auto"></video>
Register event listener functions:
Code:
video.addEventListener('loadedmetadata', videoSize, false); // Video 1st loaded
video.addEventListener('timeupdate', videoInfo, false); // Video play position changes
Code:
function videoSize() {
   var minw = 1280; // Want this min width
   var w = video.videoWidth;
   if (w < minw)
      w = minw;
   video.style.width = "" + w + "px";
}

function videoInfo() {
   var duration = video.duration;
   var current = video.currentTime;
   if (current < 5)
      videoSize();
   info.innerHTML = formattedTime(current) + " / " + formattedTime(duration); 
}
NOTE: I think the sizing during "loadmetadata" trigger didn't always work which is why I also call that function within 1st few seconds of "timeupdate" trigger just to be sure it gets done.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #84
ntlord

Hmm. It doesn't seem to be working. I tried a bunch of different things, including this (the example linked to with the retry code):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...dth-and-height

It does not seem like those variables get set. I wonder if it is an HLS thing
Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #85
moyekj

Strange. I tried this in "loadmetadata" trigger:
video.setAttribute("width", "" + video.videoWidth);
video.setAttribute("height", "" + video.videoHeight);

But querying always returns "null":
Code:
$("#message").html("w=" + video.getAttribute("width") + " h=" + video.getAttribute("height"));
$("#message").show();
EDIT: Even worse, I did this inside "timeupdate" trigger function:
Code:
$("#message").html("w=" + video.videoWidth + " h=" + video.videoHeight);
$("#message").show();
And I always get w=0 h=0

So looks like HLS is not giving video dimensions which would explain why attempts to use the variables to set dimensions don't work.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-13-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #86
moyekj

setting video playbackRate property > 1 or < -1 doesn't work either so no go on FF/REW. I don't know if Plex client/server model even allows for that to work?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #87
ntlord

I think its just HLS support with Opera TV. All of these features work in safari, including playbackRate and setting currentTime to seek. I think HLS is just broken in Opera, which is not surprising.

It may make sense to switch back to MPEG-DASH. For sure, under dash we could implement seeking. It would just be a question of getting the right segment, and putting it on the buffer.

BTW, with respect to the caching. If you add the appropriate no cache meta tags to the HTML and add a fake parameter to the javascript imports (e.g. "?nocache=1.0), it won't cache. When you make a change to javascript just change the parameter in the html (e.g. ?nocache=1.1).
Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #88
moyekj

Thanks for the no caching tips - that is very helpful.
I attach to this message my very simple html5 video test for TiVo. I confirmed last night that 30 sec skip forwards and 8 sec skip backwards work fine for it. If you want to try it out just edit the video.html to replace test videos I have in there with ones that you have available to your web server.

It did seem like perhaps the mpeg-dash version was a little better behaved, but I think I did still have trouble seeking with it as well, though it did work some of the time. So that was more likely a web server buffering related issue as you say.
Attached Files
File Type: zip simple_tivo_video.zip (1.8 KB, 6 views)

Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Thanks for the tip about the no-cache meta tag. Here's a js snippet that'll save some time and sanity while editing the js and/or css, by generating the script/link tags, including a cache-busting timestamp:
Code:
<script>
var styleSheet=document.createElement("link")
styleSheet.setAttribute("rel", "stylesheet")
styleSheet.setAttribute("type", "text/css")
styleSheet.setAttribute("href", "style.css?ts=" + new Date().getTime())
document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(styleSheet);

var script=document.createElement('script');
script.type='text/javascript';
script.src="script.js?ts=" + new Date().getTime();
document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].appendChild(script);
</script>
I include that at the bottom of my index.htm file(just above </html>). Combine that with the html meta tag ntlord pointed out, and the cache should now not be used at all while using the Opera developer tools (n.b. for future readers: you'd probably want to go back to cached resources for most files for 'release' versions of the code).
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #90
moyekj

Just for completeness on the no caching setup, this is the correct html header to use right?
Code:
<header>
 <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-store"/>
</header>