TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Treehouse Masters - Anyone Watching?

This show is on Animal Planet. If you're into tricked-out treehouses, this is the show for you. My kids love this show!

The stuff they do is very cool, and the way it's presented, it looks pretty "easy," as in it looks easier than I thought it would be to build a mega-treehouse. But I know these guys are treehouse professionals, and it is TV, and it really isn't so easy.

The worst part of watching this with my kids is having to explain over and over why I can't/won't spend $100,000 on a treehouse.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

$100K? That's the cheap one! There was one a few weeks ago that busted a quarter of a million. $250,000+!

I love this show. Sure it's over-dramatized for the effect, but it's just fun to watch. I love Pete and his infectious enthusiasm. And his crew is a blast. Characters all.

And these treehouses they build!!! OMG! O.M.G. Bathrooms, little kitchens, this week had a deck to grill on. And the 200 foot bridge!

I want a treehouse!
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Bob Coxner

Been watching since the premier and really enjoying it. Their enthusiasm is contagious. The prices do seem a bit extreme.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I've never heard of it, sounds pretty cool. Setup to record an episode tomorrow and will check it out.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

It's a great show. The wife and I both love it. These houses cost INSANE amounts, but they are really, really cool.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

I've seen two random episodes that I stumbled across. One was the Irish Cottage and the other was a brewery. Cool show, I just wonder how long they last. It seems they use large bolts that are drilled into the tree, wouldn't that damage the health of the tree? I can't imagine spending so much money and then having the tree die.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

I stumbled upon this series last week (I think there was a marathon) and my older son (7) and I watched a few episodes and enjoyed it. We set up a season pass.

How do they deal with the fact that trees grow? Won't the branches slowly draw and quarter the treehouses over time, as the trees get bigger and the branches move and spread?

My son's comment, after watching, was "I wouldn't want a treehouse. You know why? No wi-fi."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
How do they deal with the fact that trees grow? Won't the branches slowly draw and quarter the treehouses over time, as the trees get bigger and the branches move and spread?
That's what the tree bolts are for I believe. I think it's designed to handle the growing of the tree(s), both up and in circumference. They are adjustable I think to handle the tree growth over time.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed

The episode I saw had rods through the tree trunks (which the guy said made the trees stronger as long as they fit tight) and then the beams were attached to the rods with sliding tracks that allowed for growth, but mostly for the natural sway of the trees.

The biggest questions I had with the designs I've seen...

1. why did they run the plumbing down directly under the tree house (unsightly) instead of incorporating it into the stairs or ramp?

2. the Irish cottage, it looked like they simply left the roof garden in the plastic containers and there's no way those plants would survive that way (they'd become root bound). I wonder if that was just a quick assembly for TV and later they actually made a real roof garden?

I do want a tree house now.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
The episode I saw had rods through the tree trunks (which the guy said made the trees stronger as long as they fit tight) and then the beams were attached to the rods with sliding tracks that allowed for growth, but mostly for the natural sway of the trees.
I need to pay closer attention. The one I was thinking about, particularly, was not one they built, but one he visited. I think it was called "the hotel" or something like that. It was a 10-story structure with dozens of smaller rooms, and it looked like the tree (or trees) passed directly through many of them.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I have watched a couple of these shows and love the work they do.

I question some things, like the initial climb up a tree with no safety gear, using climbing helmets as hard hats (when lifting objects overhead), and using sailing tackle to lift heavy loads overhead.

I would think they would use a portable puller like the one linked below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenlee-Bra...item257f5a1178
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Bob Coxner

This week's episode had me scratching my head. A 200 foot ladder? That should have a plaque at the bottom with the names of local attorneys to contact after you fall and break every bone in your body. Also, in liability terms I would think it would be considered an "attractive nuisance". From Wikipedia:

In the law of torts, the attractive nuisance doctrine states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by a hazardous object or condition on the land that is likely to attract children who are unable to appreciate the risk posed by the object or condition. The doctrine has been applied to hold landowners liable for injuries caused by abandoned cars, piles of lumber or sand, trampolines, and swimming pools. However, it can be applied to virtually anything on the property of the landowner.

In their situation, there are likely to be children in the families renting other treehouses on the property and the ladder would be attractive to many of them.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 07-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
This week's episode had me scratching my head. A 200 foot ladder? That should have a plaque at the bottom with the names of local attorneys to contact after you fall and break every bone in your body.

In their situation, there are likely to be children in the families renting other treehouses on the property and the ladder would be attractive to many of them.
I thought the same thing. Well, first I thought who would risk climbing that, but I also noticed that to get to the ladder, you needed another ladder. I think they did it like a fire escape ladder, where the ladder is from 20 ft up the tree to 200 ft up the tree. So walking through there you can't just climb it. They must need to set it up for you, and when they do, they put you in a harness.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I caught a couple episodes of this show over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Setup a season pass to record old and new episodes.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
Bob Coxner

The new season has been confusing. All of the ones so far have actually been repeats from last season, with some added tweets and behind the scenes footage. I think the first truly new one will be tomorrow: Black Bear Bungalow.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

So this show is actually on Animal Planet? I ran across this show a few weeks ago and setup a Season Pass. But it has been airing the first season on The Discovery channel. I guess I need to create an SP on the Animal Planet channel to catch the new episodes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So this show is actually on Animal Planet? I ran across this show a few weeks ago and setup a Season Pass. But it has been airing the first season on The Discovery channel. I guess I need to create an SP on the Animal Planet channel to catch the new episodes.
I ran into this problem. I saw the show on Discovery and set a SP there. I then figured out last night, the show is actually on Animal Planet. So, I changed the SP.

Animal Planet's tagline is funny. "Surprisingly Human" It is an animal channel with reality shows about people.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched this last night - wasn't incredibly impressed with the Christmas house but loved the one up in Alaska on the edge of the hill. I can't imagine actually living there in the winter, but it was a beautiful view.

They said that the guy had scoped out some land, built the treehouse and now because of his living there he can claim the land. Is this true? I may be missing something in the process. I was actually switching between this show and Love it or List it.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
They said that the guy had scoped out some land, built the treehouse and now because of his living there he can claim the land. Is this true? I may be missing something in the process. I was actually switching between this show and Love it or List it.
He called it homesteading. Basically, there is a ton of land in Alaska that nobody has claim to. I guess if you build a house on a piece of land, you can claim it as yours.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
The new season has been confusing. All of the ones so far have actually been repeats from last season, with some added tweets and behind the scenes footage. I think the first truly new one will be tomorrow: Black Bear Bungalow.
They've been rerunning the first season, but they gave it a new name, something like "Treehouse Masters Revisited" or something just different enough that it seems new.

I think the first actually new episode of S2 was two weeks ago, the Indiana Jones adventure house, set in the Poconos.

Did look pretty cool!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #21
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
He called it homesteading. Basically, there is a ton of land in Alaska that nobody has claim to. I guess if you build a house on a piece of land, you can claim it as yours.
Homesteading in Alaska ended in 1986.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/homestead.cfm
DirecTV since 1999
Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Homesteading in Alaska ended in 1986.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/homestead.cfm
I wonder if this guy had built this treehouse like 30 years ago or something? He definitely called it homesteading and said that if he built a house on this property, it was his.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I'm guessing it has to do with the legal concept of "adverse possession." Every state's laws on this front are a little different, but the basic idea is that if you are in "open and notorious possession" of a piece of property for a specified period of time, and the rightful owner takes no steps to remove you from the land, you gain a legal right of ownership that will supersede that of the actual owner.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

He said he had built a place on the land over 30 years ago.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm all caught up on the show. I downloaded the first season off usenet over the weekend and had a little marathon.

I now want to buy a house in the woods and have this guy come out and build a treehouse.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
gweempose

I had never heard of this show, but I'm glad I saw this thread. My 10-year-old son will love this show. Just set up an season pass.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

The last episode of season 1 was interesting. I did not realize this guy Pete has kinda like a treehouse resort. That Treehouse Point place has like 7 or 8 treehouses that people can rent like a bed and breakfast. If I'm ever in Seattle again, I wouldn't mind driving out there. If he allows for tours and such.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #28
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
If I'm ever in Seattle again, I wouldn't mind driving out there. If he allows for tours and such.
Yes, they have tours
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
astrohip
Stuart F

Animal Planet Renews 'Treehouse Masters,' Greenlights 'Redwood Kings'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...masters-689904

Quote:
Animal Planet has renewed Treehouse Masters for a second season while also giving the green light to a new show, Redwood Kings.

Treehouse Masters, which returns for a second season at 10 p.m. May 30, stars "tree whisperer" Pete Nelson as he fulfills people's dreams of turning peaceful nooks in nature into the ultimate escapes. In upcoming episodes, Nelson creates a Texan man cave in the sky; a two-tiered flower-petal paradise treehouse for a consummate gardener in Tulsa; and a multilevel house for country singer Brian Kelley of Florida Georgia Line.

Last season, Treehouse Masters drew 1.3 million total viewers across its premieres and was the network's second-most-watched series in 2013. The show also has famous fans, including Jason Bateman (watch video of him talking about it on CBS' Late Show With David Letterman below).

Redwood Kings, which is set to premiere in July, "uncovers the artistry that goes into turning ancient reclaimed redwood trees into creative works of art," according to the network. It features twin brothers Ron and John Daniels, who work side-by-side at their company creating carvings of animated characters, movie and theme park facades and even treehouses. Things sometimes get tense between the duo as Ron must rein in John -- dubbed the "carving cowboy" -- at times to keep every project on schedule and on budget.

In the premiere season, the brothers and their 40-person crew create a life-size replica of a gold stamp mill and spinning waterwheel; head back to the glory days of the gold rush for a rustic roadside mall in California; build a Noah's Ark-themed treehouse for the youngest members of a small family church; and design a massive 22-room, interactive theme park experience in a historic building in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Cool! Love me some Treehouse Masters.