TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
atmuscarella

Looking for Info on Playon/Playlater HD

Hello All,

Looking for info from anyone using Playon & Playlater HD. I am trying to find a way to stream/record HD content during off hrs as my ISP slows down to an unusable speed during the afternoon/evening (6Mbps morning - 1+/-Mbps evening). It would be mostly from Hulu+ & Amazon and maybe I would try Netflix. Some questions I have:
  1. How well does Playon/Playlater HD work with the various streaming services (Hulu+, Amazon, Netflix, etc.) any issues? How is the quality of the recorded material compared to if you just streamed from those sites.
  2. Is there a way to setup up a bunch of recordings to auto stream/record or do I have to start each one individually?
  3. Are the recordings encrypted or can I move them to any device I want to?
  4. Does playlater allow skipping of commercials on sites that have them?
  5. The HTPC I would be using Playon/Playlater HD on has a AMD Athlon X2 255 Processor which only has a PassMark score of 1843 - the site says it needs to be 2300 or higher. I have no issues with playing HD content on this PC (it is connect to my TV and I use it for streaming now). Does using Playon/Playlater HD really require more processing power than playing other HD content (the graphic card is an ASUS Radeon R7 240 with 2GB of memory - if that matters)?
  6. Cost right now is $65 for lifetime Playon/Playlater HD bundle - if you paid that or more would you buy again?
  7. Any other info I should know?
Thanks!
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Aero 1

think you have them both confused. playon is the DLNA streamer and playlater is the recorder.

1. works fine, no issues that i have come a crossed. recording is identical to what the site is giving you. so if your isp is bottlenecking and the video is buffering, you will experience the same thing. all these two programs do is emulate internet explorer and record what is showing inside its browser. So if you tell playlater to record something on Hulu thats 1 hr long, it will take playlater 1 hr to record it.

2. no, individually.

3. playlater recordings can be set to mp4 or their proprietary format. you'll want mp4 for flexibility.

4. no, put once you have the playlater recording, you can fast forward the commercials yourself with whatever player you are using.

5. you should be ok, especially with sd content. Hd might be difficult. its all CPU, not GPU.

6. already have both lifetime, no need to buy again.

7. get the playon pytivo fork so you can watch playon on the tivo.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aero 1 : 01-27-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote