TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

MOCA setup help

Hi all. New to MoCA and have two Actiontec's but my coax light isn't lit although I am getting access to Internet.

Here's my setup most of which was initially setup by Cox before I added the MoCA.

From the wall the coax goes to a Genesys II 2-way splitter, one leg goes to the MoCA (it used to go to the cable modem), then I have a short coax from MoCA to a Docsis 3 cable modem and then patch cables from MoCA to router and Modem to router. The other leg split goes to a 5-1000 DC6 Tap which then has a short coax to the digital phone modem (cox did this).

So, with that being stated, I thought I needed to go directly from the wall to the MoCA, but if I do that, where does the split go for the digital phone modem?

One thing I noticed when I first set this up is my channel bonding blue lights on the Docsis 3 cable modem came on - I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing them as blue before, just green.

Also, I did install a POE on the incoming cable to the house.

I haven't installed the 2nd Actiontec to my Tivo and TA yet because I wanted to confirm this part of the setup first.

Thank you for any help!
EnergyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
WRX09MD

Which Tivo do you have?
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
tatergator1

You're current setup at the router should work. You could just as easily move the MoCA adapter to be before the 2-way splitter. It would be coax from wall to MoCA adapter and then out to the splitter.

When I set mine up, I didn't really pay attention to the indicator lights. If you set things up correctly, the Actiontec adapters generally just work.

I'd put the other adapter in place before worrying about the indicator lights.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
andy_hd

I had an issue when I hooked my MOCA adapter as you describe. Not sure exactly what it was -- but evidently the 'coax out' from the ActionTec adapter doesn't pass all the signals seen on its input.

I'd try adding another 2-1 splitter (or changing your current 2-1 to a 3-1) and not use the 'coax out' from the ActionTec.
andy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

Thank you for the replies. I have two Premier's - apologies I omitted that.

I'll try getting the second MoCA hooked up and then see how the streaming works taking into account the suggestions here too. It appears I'll need another MoCA adapter, but I was hoping I could find a way around getting 3.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

I added my 2nd MoCA adapter to one of my Tivo Premier's and it is able to get an IP address and download content, but when I go to change my Network settings to MoCA I don't see a choice in the Tivo menu to make the change.

Are these Tivo systems intelligent enough to know that my other Tivo does not have a MoCA adapter installed to it yet (aka signal/beacon) so the Tivo menu won't give me a choice to switch to MoCA?

If I received an IP address then this 2nd adapter is obviously connecting to the primary to get IP, so that's good news. I guess the bad news is I thought I could at least "try" setting up MoCA on the Tivo's and stream some content.

Should I see the Tivo menu choice to switch to MoCA?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyStar View Post
Should I see the Tivo menu choice to switch to MoCA?
No. The 2-tuner Premiere models do not have MoCA capabilities, which is exactly why you need the adapter. In that situation, the MoCA signal enters the adapter from the connection to the wall outlet. The adapter converts that to Ethernet, and allows the Premiere to connect via its Ethernet port. To the Premiere, it has no idea what's at the other end of the Ethernet cable. For all it knows, the other end of the Ethernet cable is plugged directly into the router. All it cares is that it has a path to the router and can send/receive network info.

You should be able to stream shows between the two devices as currently setup. If you are having issues, force a connection to the TiVo service on each box, and then restart each box. Changes to network settings can cause issues in streaming between boxes. The restarts should take care of those quirks.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

edit: nevermind
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Luckyluc

Thanks Tater!
Luckyluc is offline   Reply With Quote