TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #91
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
I noticed this same behavior after my Premiere was updated to 20.3.8. I would end up pressing Live TV, then TiVo button to restore the HD GUI.
Another weird thing with this update. Before the update, whenever I would change to a new channel (either using up/dn, Guide, or direct input of channel number), the TiVo would switch to the new channel with the channel banner displayed, but no video yet displayed, then a fraction of a second later, the audio would come on immediately followed by video. Now, many times when I switch to a new channel, the channel banner is displayed over a blank screen, but a short fraction of second later the banner disappears followed by a long fraction of a second of unformatted video, then a fraction of a second of blank screen followed by video in correct format with no banner. It doesn't happen with every channel every time, but is frequent enough that it is annoying. Because I've been Christmas busy, I've not yet had time to experiment to isolate whether cause is associated with HDMI, T/A, or change in video format between channels. I do know it happens with both OTA and cable channels.

[Update] Channel changing anomaly was related to output format. My Premiere has had Output Video Format as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i for as long as I can remember. Changing OVF to 1080i only (which matches the display) eliminated the weird channel changing behavior. Why I never noticed this behavior until 20.3.8 is a mystery.
I think this is a new 20.3.8 bug in their software. They are doing a bad job of changing the resolution of the video /menu this is causing many issues, including the black menu bug. The only known workaround is to only use 1080i without 720p.

The cause seems to be that Tivo Software switches or forgets to switch formats at times.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #92
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
I am having this issue so far I have noticed it on 2 of 6 tivos.

It only happens if I select delete from the pop up dialogue at the end of a recording. If I select keep the menu system works fine.

If you have the video in the corner on, then you see that as well as the black screen.

If I press liveTV or Guide then everything works again. Although I have lost my place in the My Shows list. ( The Tivo button does not work.)

I have played with the input button, thought it may be an hdmi issue, but nothing brings back the menus other than those 2 buttons.

The Tivos did not do this when I first got the update, but it was doing it consistently earlier today. But I just checked and it is not doing it any longer...

It may have something to do with the daily updates and the extra advertising inserted into the menu system. Maybe someone did not fill all the fields in correctly in one of those pop-up advertisements that sometimes get inserted in the delete/keep dialogue.
This appears to be related to Tivo messing up resolution switching between the menus and the video playback. If I allow resolutions of 720p and 1080i Tivo will mess-up after a while. It happens on all my Tivos.

The only workaround is to select 1080i only....
Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #93
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG View Post
How long after getting 20.3.8 does the new Netflix kick in?
I've been doing a few connections a day on my Premiere for the past 4 days and it hasn't loaded it yet. (I used it on the Premiere for several hours yesterday, kicking it off from my PC with kmttg). Is 20.3.8 officially released now?

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #94
Jed1

I got the new update yesterday on both my Premiere 4s but I did not got the Opera App store yet. I tried connecting to the service and restarting twice but no luck. I guess I will have to wait to TiVo pushes the App store to my two TiVos.

The guide issue is resolved but a glitch remains from the last update were the guide will stop at 1:00PM the last day of listings instead of going to and beyond 8:00PM of the last day of listings. The TiVo Live guide goes to 8:00PM of the last day of listings.
I can go beyond 1:00PM by advancing the date using option A in the guide and it will take you beyond 1:00PM of the last day but if you go backward and try going forward you will end back at 1:00PM of the last day of listings.

I also noticed that the resolution stays at the resolution of the channel you are on when you enter the settings menu. If you are on a 1080i channel then the resolution will stay at 1080i when you enter the settings menu. If you are on a 720p channel then the resolution will stay at 720p. I do believe this applies to all of TiVo Central. This makes going in and out of TiVo Central much faster as you do not have to wait for the HDMI handshakes when the resolution changes if you have the TiVo set up for native resolution.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #95
Jed1

I had two glitches with the video while in the TiVo menu system.
The first one is I was in a portion of the menu system that is not in HD yet and when I backed out to the main TiVo menu system the video window had no picture or sound. In order to get that back I had to hit the live button and then either channel up or down or switch tuners to get the video and sound to work again. I checked the buffer for the channel I had on while in the menu system and it did not miss anything so this indicates that there is a problem with the HDMI signal changes while in the menu system.
The second issue was I came to the end of a recording and when asked to save or delete the recording I ended up with a blank or black picture. I can hear the audio from the video in the window and the TiVo sounds were working as I was hitting the buttons on the remote. To fix this I just hit the live button and the picture came back. There was no problem with the video when I checked the buffer.
I do believe this is caused by the lack of a HDMI handshake when the resolution changes while in the TiVo menu system. TiVo eliminated the handshake in the menu system in order to speed up the navigation of the menu system. I do not know if the Roamio has this issue because it has a 1080p selection for the video output and they can make 1080p the default resolution of the HD menu system.
Of course if you set the resolution of the Premiere box to either 1080i or 720p then this issue will probably stop. Using component will also work as it is an analog connection and does not need to make a handshake with the display for HDCP. I do not want a fixed resolution as I want my display to do the conversion for the incoming video signals to 1080p60 or 1080p24.

Also concerning the guide bug that I mentioned in the previous post I noticed that the TiVo Live guide will go out to 8:00 PM of the last day of the listing and the TiVo grid guide will only go out to 1:00 PM of the last day of listings. You end up not seeing the last 7 hours of the listings.
You can go beyond the last day of listings in both guides by hitting the A button and selecting a date beyond the end of the listings but if you move backwards and then forward while in the grid guide it will jump back to 1:00 PM of the last day. This bug was introduced in the previous firmware and included the bug where you would jump back to the current time if you where else where in the guide. That bug was corrected and this bug remains.

Also I still have not received the Opera App store yet. According to TiVo's website I should call if the App store does not show up but some people are saying here that it will show up later. My question is which one is correct?
I tried the forced connections and even restarting the TiVo and the HDUI but I had no luck.
Here is what TiVo has on its website just check under the trouble shooting section and it tells you to call them.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...ra%20tv%20apps

The reason I am bringing this up I received the general roll out of the update and according to them this should be included. The people that received the update early had to wait a few weeks because the App store wasn't ready when the bug fix was.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #96
jrtroo
User

Its irrelevant. The store will not offer much of interest. It's the potential that is exciting.

Last edited by jrtroo : 01-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #97
keithg1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
The first batch of TiVo Premiere customers were authorized for the 20.3.8 software update tonight.

Priority list sign-up is here: http://tivo.com/priority

Here are some of the changes:

- new transparency options for Closed Captions
- support for new apps (some of which may start appearing next week)
- support for "low battery" message for new RF remotes
- fixed an issue where the grid Guide didn't keep its place after scheduling a recording
- now will retry tuning requests after a Tuning Adapter fails to respond
- improved some issues related to transferring shows between Series4 and Series5 DVRs

Note: there is nothing in this update related to Wireless N Adapters. We are still trying to understand the issue. I would like to hear if any of the people that are having issues with the N Adapter find things get better when they update to 20.3.8.

Just wondering why the release notes did not include the info on the back-to back recording padding feature that will only use one tuner.
keithg1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #98
haguea

black screen bug

I also started getting the black screen after deleting a program. Hitting live clears it. I have a Premiere.
haguea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #99
shamilian

black screen bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguea View Post
I also started getting the black screen after deleting a program. Hitting live clears it. I have a Premiere.
The only real work around is to choose 1080i/1080p only output if you also choose 720p then the bug will re-occur....
Old 01-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #100
Duke

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguea View Post
I am seeing the exact same thing that multiple folks have reported in this thread (black screen after hitting Delete); started after the 20.3.8 update.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #101
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Black menu bug after delete/keep dialogue

Users who received v20.3.8 early have been discussing this topic here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512728
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #102
Jed1

I contacted Margret via email today and she asked me to send her my TSN's and also describe the video issues with TiVo Central. I also described the guide issue to. I do not think they are aware of these issues as she is not really monitoring this forum. Besides today the last time she logged into this site was back in December.

I mentioned a while back that if you have issues with a update always post it in her update threads as I do not think she has time to be reading dozens of threads to get information about bugs. It is easier for her to monitor the threads she started.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #103
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
Of course if you set the resolution of the Premiere box to either 1080i or 720p then this issue will probably stop. Using component will also work as it is an analog connection and does not need to make a handshake with the display for HDCP. I do not want a fixed resolution as I want my display to do the conversion for the incoming video signals to 1080p60 or 1080p24.
It will stop (black screen and other res change issues), and you'll probably not be able to see the diff with 1080i/p fixed vs. native but you won't know until you try it.

And Tivo is only going to send 1080p for streamed sources (Netflix mainly) since there is no broadcast TV using it, so everything will go to your TV as 1080i. I see absolutely no diff with Tivo sending native or converting everything to 1080i, picture-wise.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #104
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It will stop (black screen and other res change issues), and you'll probably not be able to see the diff with 1080i/p fixed vs. native but you won't know until you try it.

And Tivo is only going to send 1080p for streamed sources (Netflix mainly) since there is no broadcast TV using it, so everything will go to your TV as 1080i. I see absolutely no diff with Tivo sending native or converting everything to 1080i, picture-wise.
I tried a fixed resolution before I posted, I lose some detail on the 720p channels. My downstairs TiVo goes through my Onkyo receiver and I have my Kuro set for 24 frame playback. My upstairs TiVo goes directly to my other Kuro and I feed the audio to my older Onkyo receiver by optical.

The videos in the Movie Fon App are in 1080p. I was surprised to see that.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #105
Jed1

I had to contact Margret to get the App store and I received it on early Thursday morning. I really like the Accuweather App. I ran into one problem with the Accuweather App, if I click on the map button I get a pop up message saying "Forbidden URL". I also find it hard to navigate the store with the remote as your options for button clicks are limited. It seems it would be easier with a mouse and keyboard.

I also filed three bug reports related to this update with Margret and they are looking into them. I do not think anybody at TiVo is really following these threads on this forum so I would recommend sending your complaints directly to TiVo. I also recommend that any issue with bugs related to these updates should be posted in the threads that Margret starts as I do not think she has the time to read all the various threads on this forum.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #106
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I really like the Accuweather App. I ran into one problem with the Accuweather App, if I click on the map button I get a pop up message saying "Forbidden URL".
i've seen the message on other apps, too, but can't remember where. is there an online avenue to report these when they happen?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #107
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I definitely see the difference on content 720p converted to 1080i.

They need to fix this.

I am disappointed they went ahead with a full roll-out of this release, since I reported the problem within a few day of priority list roll-out.

Why do they bother with the staggered roll-out if they don't fix bugs reported during that period ?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #108
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i've seen the message on other apps, too, but can't remember where. is there an online avenue to report these when they happen?
I sent an email to Margret but I have not heard anything back. Other than this I have no clue where to report bug issues with the Opera TV Apps Store.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #109
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
I definitely see the difference on content 720p converted to 1080i.

They need to fix this.

I am disappointed they went ahead with a full roll-out of this release, since I reported the problem within a few day of priority list roll-out.

Why do they bother with the staggered roll-out if they don't fix bugs reported during that period ?
It is a really bad idea to convert a progressive image to an interlaced image only to have it converted back to a progressive image by the display. The only time that would be a good idea if your display was natively 1080i but these types of displays have not been made for at least ten years now.
DLP's, LCD's, and Plasma displays are progressively scanned fixed pixel digital displays, 720p or 1080p.
It is best to let the display to all the conversion work as this eliminates the possibility of errors happening from to much processing by other devices. Also I would not recommend using component cabling as this converts the digital signal to analog and then has to be converted back to digital at the display.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #110
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It's entirely in the eyes of the beholder - what you say may technically be true but IMO only the best displays will see a diff. For the vast majority there is no downside to avoiding this issue with fixed res output, and it comes with the side benefit of not seeing mode sync delays going from 720p to 1080i/p.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #111
Jed1

While using TiVo Central a week ago on Friday night my UI rebooted itself, which never happened to me before. When the TiVo menu came back I noticed I had the new Pandora App and the icon for the Opera TV Store changed from a big red O to a white bag with a small red O. I am not certain but I think the icons for the Tech Crunch App and MovieFone App changed also.
I manually rebooted the UI on my upstairs TiVo to get the new Apps.

I also watched and deleted two shows and did not experience the black menu bug but got clobbered with it on Sunday night every time I watched a recorded program and deleted it when done.
I noticed that the resolution of the TiVo Central menu retains the resolution of the HD channel you are watching and this speeds up navigation by eliminating the need for an HDMI handshake. The problem is parts of the HD Menu system is still not HD and most of the time the handshake will not occur and cause the menu to be black. This does not affect Live TV or any recordings being made.
If they make the entire menu system in HD then this problem will go away.

I guess this problem will be addressed in the next update which I believe will change TiVo Central on the Premieres to the one used on the Roamios. I wonder if this will also remove the SD Menu system from the Premieres.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #112
moose53

Quote:
While using TiVo Central a week ago on Friday night my UI rebooted itself, which never happened to me before. When the TiVo menu came back I noticed I had the new Pandora App and the icon for the Opera TV Store changed from a big red O to a white bag with a small red O. I am not certain but I think the icons for the Tech Crunch App and MovieFone App changed also.
I manually rebooted the UI on my upstairs TiVo to get the new Apps.

I also watched and deleted two shows and did not experience the black menu bug but got clobbered with it on Sunday night every time I watched a recorded program and deleted it when done.
I noticed that the resolution of the TiVo Central menu retains the resolution of the HD channel you are watching and this speeds up navigation by eliminating the need for an HDMI handshake. The problem is parts of the HD Menu system is still not HD and most of the time the handshake will not occur and cause the menu to be black. This does not affect Live TV or any recordings being made.
If they make the entire menu system in HD then this problem will go away.

I guess this problem will be addressed in the next update which I believe will change TiVo Central on the Premieres to the one used on the Roamios. I wonder if this will also remove the SD Menu system from the Premieres.
This whole update is "weird". I woke up at 2AM this morning and I had the 'old' Netflix interface back. I woke up again at 6AM and I had the 'new' Netflix interface again.

I kept going back and forth between 'old' and 'new' Youtube, too. It hasn't happened for a week or two.

I worked on senior level helpdesks for over 13 years before I retired. Every time they rolled out software updates while people were using it, it failed. This seems very familiar.

Oh, I don't use the HD menus. There's too much busy stuff going on and I can't see the text on the screen. I hope they don't get rid of the SD .. I'll be sitting 6 inches from my television with a magnifying glass
Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #113
Jed1

I reduced the number of black screen issues by setting the HDMI video format to YCbCr444 on my two Pioneer Kuros, as this is the native output of the TiVos. I forgot I had this set to auto as the Pace RNG 200 outputted RGB video.
I only get the black screen problem once in a while now instead of all the time. I still have all the output resolutions checked as setting it to 1080i did not eliminate the issue and I had a decline in video quality on the 720p and 480i/p channels.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #114
alanpgh

Setting to 1080i/p on my Premiere XL has worked for me.
No problems related to this for the past few weeks.
I still think a fix is important in the next Tivo Software Update.
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #115
alanpgh

On a different topic, my WiFi C133 error messages have gone away since adding an Apple Airport Express set up as a range extender in my system.
No more C133 problems for the past 3-4 days.

I think Tivo can fix this with some sort of timeout filter in the next software update.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #116
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh View Post
Setting to 1080i/p on my Premiere XL has worked for me.
No problems related to this for the past few weeks.
I still think a fix is important in the next Tivo Software Update.
Setting the resolution 1080i/p reduced the problem but I did have the black menu bug occur. Fixing the HDMI resolution setting on my Kuro reduced the black menu problem but it does occur from time to time.

I agree that this has to be fixed in a future firmware update. The best way for TiVo to fix this is to make the entire menu system in HD as there is still portions of the menu in SD and this is what trips the black menu bug from time to time.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #117
sharkster

I don't know if Marget continues reading the updates threads down the line, or if this is a good place to mention this, or if anybody even cares, but ...

My biggest wish for a future (soon w/b good, like tomorrow. heh) update would be allowing the ability to change a channel number on a Season Pass.

Once again, we are coming up on a huge channel number change with Charter in my market (on Feb 18th). I remember when this occurred a couple of years ago and it was truly a nightmare for many of my well over 200 Season Passes between two Premieres.

When channel numbers change, there is no way to update a Season Pass and it was such a drag. For the shows that were currently airing, I had to delete old season passes and start new ones. But for the shows on hiatus I had to make a list and watch for them because there was no way to just change the channel number or re-do an existing one since there were no airings to choose for creating a new season pass.

This, to me anyway (and admittedly I know squat), sure seems like it would be a very simple thing to plug into the Season Pass options. I am dreading these changes coming up, although we will have a lot of new channels and that is a good thing. But, if it goes like last time, my Tivos won't be able to continue season passes properly for the ones that are on different numbers after the change.

My biggest hope is that Tribune Media actually does the changes at the time they occur. Last time, it also did the changes like a month early and that wreaked havoc because (for example) Tivo no longer thought that Showtime was on the number 525 so there was no way to even create a recording, since that channel number didn't exist for them - and on it went for scores of other channels that were getting brand new numbers. The good thing was that Tivo was able to get that fixed and things went back to normal until the actual time of the number changes.

Anyway, to the Tivo genies, this is my one big wish.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #118
alanpgh

I think Tivo automatically fixes the channel numbers on season passes.

You might want to email margret about this.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #119
pmiranda

TiVo definitely automatically tries to follow channel number changes. Assuming the channel name remains the same of course. It helps to not have duplicates in your channels.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #120
sharkster

Thanks to you both for the advice! This was so frustrating last time. I'm going to see if things automatically adjust through to the Season Passes and go from there, I guess. Looks like a bunch of them will sort of change names. For example, HBOHDP (HBO HD Pacific) will change to HBO HD West, etc, throughout all the premium channels. Lot of that. Looks like most of the non-premium channels might just work out (yay!).

Last time I think it was most problematic because of the premium channels. I ended up having to do what I mentioned above with some 80+ shows. It was a PITA and frustrating, to say the least.

I'll have to find the info for Marget. I didn't know I could email her. Nice! She always seems helpful and nice.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote