TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
take5

Premiere creates duplicate "ghost" recordings

I have a reproducible bug. Here is the scenario:

I have a lifetime TiVo Premiere running 20.3.8-01-2-746.

A recording is set from a season pass to record from 7pm to 8pm.

I go into the to-do list, and modify the recording (not the pass) to record longer -- say until 8:30. Appears to work fine.

Tivo does not modify the original recording. It creates a duplicate one-time recording (one check mark) with no name on the same channel that runs until 8:30. I cannot display the details of this stealth recording from the directory or the to-do list. It makes the "tone up" sound, but never displays.

So I end up with a named recording that did not get modified, and an unnamed recording that did -- the recording process takes up both tuners.

It gets worse. If I attempt to record a second show between 7pm and 8pm, Tivo silently cancels the "ghost" recording without notifying me. It does show as "will not record" or "did not record" on the to-do list. Even better, it says "conflicts with 3 shows"! I only have two tuners -- how can it conflict with three shows?!

So I end up with the original recording from 7pm to 8pm, even though I told it to extend, and I am never told that it didn't until I have lost the content. For a while I thought I was going crazy -- didn't I extend this? (Yes, I did.)

This does not happen when I record a show from scratch and specify a longer run time -- only when I am modifying an already scheduled recording.
take5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

yes, this is happening. the workaround i'm using is to delete the auto scheduled sp recording from the to do list (leave the modified manual recording). tivo will eventually name the manual recording.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Delete original then manually record with padding

A better workaround is to "view upcoming episodes" and delete the episode you want to adjust then immediately program that episode to record with the padding adjustment. This way you won’t have to deal with a duplicate being added to the To Do list and you'll get the proper title in your My Shows list instead of the funny-looking manual recording entry.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511259
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
take5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
It's disappointing that this has been a known bug for three months, and there has been no fix. Everyone shares the half dozen extra steps they do to simulate a correctly working product.
take5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
jcian

I'm experiencing this same issue and have been going back-and-forth with customer service for over a week.

It's getting ridiculous. I've been a TiVo user for a very long time and am becoming increasingly frustrated by the product.
jcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Keen

Huh, I think I had this happen to me on Sunday. Have others seen this bug happen on Roamios?

edit:
Sure enough, after some searching, I'm seeing several mentions.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511280
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...82#post9862582
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9931773

Last edited by Keen : 01-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
celtic pride

I havent had this happen to me yet with my wishlist of nba league pass celtics games.When i set up my wishlist for the celtics game ,i added 1 and a half hours to the recording time and it always works fine. When i first set up a wishlist or season pass i add the extra time i want for that program or game so every time the celtics play i have it record the extra time in case the game goes into overtime! It sounds to me like your trying to add the extra time after you have already set up a season pass, I would try redoing the season pass adding the extra time when you set it up!

Last edited by celtic pride : 01-25-2014 at 01:19 PM.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
lapdog12

I'm having the same issue on my recently purchased roamio pro. some one mentioned it might get fixed in a december update, but it is not fixed.
lapdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
dahnb2000

They tried to tell me it wasn't Tivo's software

When this first started happening, I called Tivo & they tried to have me go through a bunch of nonsense (rebooting, unplugging, deleting season passes, etc). I have 2 Tivos & they were both having the padding problems so obviously this was a Tivo software problem. I had to contact them 3 times before I asked to talk with a programmer who, after repeated questioning, finally admitted it was a software problem and that it was affecting many other Tivo owners. I've had Tivo since 1999 and don't like how long they are taking to fix something they broke in 30 seconds with the last "update". I also don't like getting the run around from customer service either covering up or just not informed.
dahnb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote