Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #31
senorgregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Everyone has an opinion.

I love the new interface. Much much faster and less prone to lock ups. Autoplay rocks for bulk-watching a series, keeps your place and does not need me to baby sit.

Enhancements would be ok, pin access is fine, but nothing I would need personally. I have not used profiles yet as they were here/gone and are not applicable to my older box.
Before I didn't have to baby sit watchign a series. Every 30 minutes or 1 hour I had to hit a single button to play the next episode. Not exactly baby sitting. Now I have to make sure I don't fall asleep or something in case more than 1 episode plays. Does not effect me at all but this is a potential problem for those users with internet caps. Not a massive deal for me but sometimes I like to watch some of the credits.
senorgregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #32
Justjoshing

We're just going to have to get used to it.

This is Netflix latest interface. My Roku updated to it about two months ago. While it does have some down sides, consider yourself blessed to have it. My experience is that the newer your device is, the better Netflix functions. Older devices just paused while waiting for Netflix to stream, while newer devices just lower the video quality when the stream chokes up. So, you (& I) may not like the interface as much, but it's more than compensated for by the better overall continuity of the streaming.
Justjoshing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjoshing View Post
This is Netflix latest interface. My Roku updated to it about two months ago. While it does have some down sides, consider yourself blessed to have it. My experience is that the newer your device is, the better Netflix functions. Older devices just paused while waiting for Netflix to stream, while newer devices just lower the video quality when the stream chokes up. So, you (& I) may not like the interface as much, but it's more than compensated for by the better overall continuity of the streaming.
That is one feature that many people do not like. Although I would think the majority of people prefer it. But still many people would rather it take a few seconds longer to buffer so it starts in SuperHD and stays there. Than starting or dropping down to a lower resolution.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #34
jrtroo
User

Netflix cannot make everyone happy at the same time, but I'm sure they tested this enough to know it makes the MOST people happy.

On my THD, the stopping to buffer is killing me. I would love for netflix to port the new functionality to such an old box.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #35
senorgregster

I certainly agree that once a stream has settled (1 minute in) it is excellent. That "feature" is fantastic. However, I think I prefer HBO Go's method where they play a generic screen for a while to test the connection. That way the start of the movie is not poor quality.

Edit: As for the autoply feature. They can make everyone happy. Give the option via a simple on/off toggle. Fixed.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #36
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgregster View Post
I certainly agree that once a stream has settled (1 minute in) it is excellent. That "feature" is fantastic. However, I think I prefer HBO Go's method where they play a generic screen for a while to test the connection. That way the start of the movie is not poor quality.
Netflix use to do that but they learned a long time ago that starting the stream faster was more important to most users. Netflix wants you to consume as much content as possible so making users wait 30-45 seconds isn't acceptable to them.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #37
jimcarver

Lightbulb I prefer Netflix through PS3

I don't have a Roamio yet so I am commenting on the Premiere version. (It's probably the same UI but without 1080.) I quite often experience delays or even non-functionality for pause, forward, reverse, etc. on TiVo. Therefore, I prefer the PS3 or PC for viewing Netflix. I do like the TiVo's ability to find movies/shows on Netflix, though. The 1080 streaming on Roamio has me very interested in upgrading soon so I'm happy I checked in on this forum.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #38
senorgregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Netflix use to do that but they learned a long time ago that starting the stream faster was more important to most users. Netflix wants you to consume as much content as possible so making users wait 30-45 seconds isn't acceptable to them.
Why does Netflix want us to consume as much content as possible? Doesn't that cost them money?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #39
rainwater

Quote:
Why does Netflix want us to consume as much content as possible? Doesn't that cost them money?
Sure. But it increases their value. They are in the business of increasing their value more than they are trying to turn a profit.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #40
senorgregster

Quote:
Sure. But it increases their value. They are in the business of increasing their value more than they are trying to turn a profit.
I'm really not trying to be a pain. But how does it increase their value?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I'm really not trying to be a pain. But how does it increase their value?
If you're watching Netflix, then you are not:
Watching cable tv content
Watching Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Hulu or YouTube content
Playing a video game
and so on

If you get used to spending all your time watching tv via Netflix, then Netflix becomes more valuable to you then those other entertainment services.

Personally, I don't like post-play and hope they give us an option in the future to disable/enable it at will. I can see it being useful for many other people(for instance: parents), and even on occasion in my home, but I'd really be a lot happier with control over it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #42
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

I hate Netflix on TiVo with my HD TiVo on DSL, as the the rewind feature works so badly. I do use it, but only because I get it for free. But when that stops, I would never pay for it.

Last edited by replaytv : 01-24-2014 at 09:14 PM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #43
Philmatic

Quote:
Quote:
Not necessarily, streaming in low quality and slowly ramping up over 15-30 seconds uses much LESS bandwidth and is much quicker that waiting, buffering and using SuperHD from the very first second. It also makes for a better user experience since the stream start instantaneously.

It might be bad quality and annoying to video purists, but most opening scenes contain credits or other scenes that don't add anything to the plot.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #44
RichieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's how I have mine set. Although if you enable the 1080p/24 passthrough mode you can still have the same problem if the stream drops from superHD to just standard HD.
Perfect! Thanks!
RichieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
If you're watching Netflix, then you are not:
Watching cable tv content
Watching Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Hulu or YouTube content
Playing a video game
and so on

If you get used to spending all your time watching tv via Netflix, then Netflix becomes more valuable to you then those other entertainment services.

Personally, I don't like post-play and hope they give us an option in the future to disable/enable it at will. I can see it being useful for many other people(for instance: parents), and even on occasion in my home, but I'd really be a lot happier with control over it.
WIth the XBOne you can be playing a video game and watching Netflix at the same time.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #46
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I hate Netflix on TiVo, as the the rewind feature works so badly. I do use it, but only because I get it for free. But when that stops, I would never pay for it.
NEtflix on the TiVo is the best one for me. I have Netflix on 25 or 30 devices. The TiVo Roamio and Mini are my "go to" boxes for watching netflix content now.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #47
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WIth the XBOne you can be playing a video game and watching Netflix at the same time.
Yes, that's true. And with 9 screens arranged in a 3x3 square you could watch 9 things at once(10 if one of them is attached to a XBone ). But that's not the point. Chances are a viewer is only going to want to pay close attention to one thing at any given moment*. Netflix wants to be that thing you're paying the most attention to. Which is what the senorgregster's question was about.

* http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4651191.html
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #48
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

I have a Primiere, but the update to the Netflix software is 100x better that what it was before. I used to to avoid the Tivo Netflix app because the navigation and playback quality was worse. Quality-wise, the image would start out at the lowest possible resolution, very pixelated, and after about 30 seconds would do the 1 second black frame thing and audio would drop out while the resolution and feed caught up. For this reason I used the Xbox 360 for Netflix viewing.

Now, however, everything plays smoothy at 1080p off the bat and navigation is a breeze. I've had no resolution or audio dropouts since the Netflix interface was updated. So now I can use the advantages of 1080p "Super HD" and Dolby Digital+ that other devices lack.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #49
rainwater

Netflix finally added a setting under Playback Settings (you set it on the web) to disable auto play of the next episode. A lot of people have been asking for this since they enabled this feature. Personally, I enjoy the auto play.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #50
jmpage2

Had my first spontaneous netflix reboot today on a Mini. Yuck. Hope TiVo fixes that.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #51
senorgregster

Just saw the article saying they have added a toggle. Very happy. :-)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #52
JohnS-MI

Question about Netflix audio on the Roamio.

I understand Netflix uses Digital Dolby Plus which my AVR does not support. Does the optical output on the Roamio "transcode" this to legacy Digital Dolby 5.1 or do I only have the options of stereo or a new AVR?

So far, the only thing I've streamed is Amazon Prime (which Tivo doesn't support) on a Roku 2 XS. I had to add an optical takeout box which passes the video through on HDMI to my TV but splits off audio to an optical output to my AVR.
JohnS-MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #53
refried

I used to hate the Netflix interface on the TiVo HD. I would always boot up the PS3 to watch Netflix or Hulu Plus. I recently upgraded to a Roamio. I never turn on the PS3 for Netflix or Hulu Plus anymore. The Roamio interface works well. On the PS3, Hulu likes to break the PS3 Blu Ray remote. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.
refried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
Question about Netflix audio on the Roamio.

I understand Netflix uses Digital Dolby Plus which my AVR does not support. Does the optical output on the Roamio "transcode" this to legacy Digital Dolby 5.1 or do I only have the options of stereo or a new AVR?

So far, the only thing I've streamed is Amazon Prime (which Tivo doesn't support) on a Roku 2 XS. I had to add an optical takeout box which passes the video through on HDMI to my TV but splits off audio to an optical output to my AVR.
I'm not sure what it does, but with my Roamio BAsic I go through an HDMI splitter sending one output to an XBOne HDMI input and the other directly to my iScan DUO. On the input going directly to my DUO, if my XBOne is off, I will get 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. But if I turn my XBOne on, then I only get DOlby Digital from that connection. No idea why since the XBOne can handle the advanced audio codecs.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #55
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No idea why since the XBOne can handle the advanced audio codecs.
I thought that was a beta feature of the Xbox One? Did you turn the option on?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #56
emstrom

Angry

I just got the "upgrade" on my Premiere, and I loath it with a fiery passion. It might be enough to make me quit using it entirely. 90% of the screen is taken up by a single suggested movie, leaving only a single horizontally-scrolling row at the bottom for my list (which sucked even in the previous version, because it completely ignores the carefully-selected order I put my movies in via the web interface.) Because of that, I got used to using the search button in the previous interface, even to find items that were already in my list. With this new interface, I had to scroll down through no fewer than 15 rows of suggested content before I got to the search button.

I'm a web interface designer and spend a lot of time working on things like this, and I have to say that whoever designed this new interface really got it wrong. It may look prettier, but the usability is awful. Instead of making it easier for people to get to their selected content, they made it 100 times harder.
emstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I thought that was a beta feature of the Xbox One? Did you turn the option on?
Yes. I think the beta feature needs to be on for it to handle multi-channel audio on the HDMI input. Without it being checked I remember my TiVos only sending out stereo pcm.

I never had a way to verify what the XBOne receives from my TiVos, whether DD or DD+ since I use multi-channel pcm output from the XBOne. One day I should connect a BD player or media player to the XBOne HDMI input to test out DOlby True HD and DTS-HD MA.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #58
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emstrom View Post
With this new interface, I had to scroll down through no fewer than 15 rows of suggested content before I got to the search button.
If you scroll up one you should get the bar with the search button
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #59
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emstrom View Post
leaving only a single horizontally-scrolling row at the bottom for my list (which sucked even in the previous version, because it completely ignores the carefully-selected order I put my movies in via the web interface.) ...I'm a web interface designer and spend a lot of time working on things like this,
On Netflix's website under your profile there is an option on the ordering of My List. Choose the manual setting.

Order in My List.
  • netflix Suggests
  • Manual Ordering

CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
On Netflix's website under your profile there is an option on the ordering of My List. Choose the manual setting.

Order in My List.
  • netflix Suggests
  • Manual Ordering
The only problem is that it defaults to the Netflix suggestions. I never even knew that was an option. But I don't mind the Netflix suggestions anyway. I've found a bunch of movies from their suggestions that I otherwise would not have watched so it works well for me.